• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Coast Main Line Jaunt 16/06/12

Status
Not open for further replies.
On my "bucket list" of things I want to do is the East Coast Main Line from London Kings Cross to Edinburgh and return. I'll be travelling, from Leeds to Kings Cross, Kings Cross to Edinburgh, Edinburgh to Kings Cross; and Kings Cross back to Leeds. It's feasible in one day. An early start and a late finish! Wheelchair spaces all booked. Will report how I get on.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

calc7

Established Member
Out of interest, how much did this cost you?

Johnuk123

Established Member
Nearly 1200 miles, that's what's called "A day out by train"

Masboroughlad

Established Member
On my "bucket list" of things I want to do is the East Coast Main Line from London Kings Cross to Edinburgh and return. I'll be travelling, from Leeds to Kings Cross, Kings Cross to Edinburgh, Edinburgh to Kings Cross; and Kings Cross back to Leeds. It's feasible in one day. An early start and a late finish! Wheelchair spaces all booked. Will report how I get on.

Sounds excellent - have a great day!

Used to do lots of days out like this years ago. BR (Sheffield) used to offer Trailblazer tickets for similar trips. One of my favourites was Sheffield - Plymouth -Paddington - Kings Cross - Doncaster - Sheffield. Small fry compared with your jaunt though!

Enjoy! :D

Out of interest, how much did this cost you?

£134.70 with railcard. The ticket office did try to find the cheapest options. There were slight changes to train times, as a result. Leeds to Kings Cross return. Kings Cross to Edinburgh and back are singles.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Good luck and enjoy your day!

Thanks. Start at 06.05 and arrive back in Leeds at 22.54.
That's only 12 hours on a train, add a sleeper journey and then it is a day out by train :)

It's 13hrs 55mins travelling time.

rail-britain

Established Member
Post up the actual train services you are travelling on

I did a similar one two years ago, Glasgow to London; out via WCML and return via ECML
I spent a few hours at Doncaster, splitting the tickets which also saved me money

Post up the actual train services you are travelling on

I did a similar one two years ago, Glasgow to London; out via WCML and return via ECML
I spent a few hours at Doncaster, splitting the tickets which also saved me money

06.05 Leeds to Kings Cross
09.30 Kings Cross to Edinburgh
15.00 Edinburgh to Kings Cross
20.30 Kings Cross to Leeds

Established Member

Have a great trip, albeit a very long one, Im sure you will and generally the East Coast staff are friendly enough. Some stunning scenery along the coast just South of Berwick and beyond. When leaving Newcastle, about 5mins out, Heaton Depot is on your right and 5mins out of Edinburgh, Craigentinny's on your left, sorry if you already know this, just thought I'd mention it.

rail-britain

Established Member
09.30 Kings Cross to Edinburgh
15.00 Edinburgh to Kings Cross
That gives you about half an hour an Edinburgh, and some additional time just in case the northbound service is late
Sadly it looks like it is the same train on both services
Equally, the 15:00 is fairly slow compared to the 15:30, but that is one of the issues of travelling at weekends

Established Member
I did a few of these earlier in the year to take advantage of ECs special offers. Included a NCL - KGX, KGX - LDS, LDS - KGX and KGX - NCL on one day, and a NCL - KGX, EUS - GLC and GLC - NCL on another.

On Saturday (16/06/12), I covered the ECML (East Coast Main Line) both ways. A long day but a very successful one.

First up 1A04 O6.05 Leeds to Kings Cross. A 45 second early departure from Leeds. 82211 leading paired with 91120. As a Sheffield Wednesday fan, I was very pleased to see GBRF 66726 "Sheffield Wednesday" just north of Peterborough Station. To keep myself awake, breakfast consisted of a truly awful overpriced bacon sandwich (piece of bacon between two slices of toast); and a cup of tea. The train wasn't busy. Arrival into Kings Cross was 4 minutes 21 seconds early. Very impressive timekeeping. East Coast were to do even better later!

58 minutes were spent at Kings Cross. I had ample time to go and have a look at the new Western Concourse. Very impressive it is too! Light and airy. You could be forgiven, for thinking you were in a shopping mall (instead of a railway station).

Before long it was time to get the next train. Leg 2 of my journey. 1S10 09.30 Kings Cross to Edinburgh. This time with 91120 leading. This was a far busier train. A right time departure from Kings Cross. A triple header EWS Class 66 convoy was spotted South of Peterborough. We were travelling, so fast, that I'm afraid I didn't get the numbers. Between Peterborough and Newcastle it was very busy. It was this train where East Coast excelled themselves. Smooth running as far as Darlington where we were held up outside the station. Consequently, we were 4 minutes down on arrival at Newcastle. From Alnmouth (the only other stop before Edinburgh) spirited running was made. The "border" was crossed at 13.27. A chicken sandwich for lunch (just after Berwick) . It was very misty and wet beyond Berwick. Arrival in to Edinburgh Waverley was 8 minutes 20 seconds early! That was really impressive.

52 minutes to explore the "building site" which is Edinburgh Waverley! There is much discussion going on, at the moment, about what to do with the taxi rank. Network Rail want to move it from the station. The city council are baulking at the likely cost!

Leg 3 15.00 1E20 Edinburgh to Kings Cross. I came across the same train guard who had worked the 09.30 service. 82215 (leading) paired with 911109worked the service. The "border" was crossed at 15.40. Uneventful trip until Knebworth. I don't know what happened so shan't speculate. We crawled between Knebworth and the Hadley tunnels. Only accelerating through the first tunnel. Nevertheless, we arrived at Kings Cross 2mins 44 seconds early.

Just over threequarters of an hour to kill at Kings Cross. Leg 4 of the trip was 1D32 20.30 Kings Cross to Leeds. I knew I had seen 82211 somewhere before!! 91120 was leading this time. I purchased a cheese sandwich, from one of the kiosks on the concourse, to have for tea. It's just as well I did this. The promised catering announcement was not made. Surprisingly, no ticket inspection took place either. An uneventful journey led to a 3 minutes 16 seconds early arrival at Leeds. Unfortunately, the promised assistance off the train didn't materialise. A couple of passengers got me off the train instead.

Thanks to the members who supplied the Class 91 numbers. Much appreciated and very helpful.

All in all, a successful trip. Yes, East Coast are very friendly too. Some excellent running. I have to say, that I don't like the East Coast grey colour scheme! It makes me think that they have only applied the undercoat!

Now to plan my next adventure - West Coast Main Line there and back.
Have a great trip, albeit a very long one, Im sure you will and generally the East Coast staff are friendly enough. Some stunning scenery along the coast just South of Berwick and beyond. When leaving Newcastle, about 5mins out, Heaton Depot is on your right and 5mins out of Edinburgh, Craigentinny's on your left, sorry if you already know this, just thought I'd mention it.

Thanks for that. I did see both Heaton and Craigentinny Depots. The Yellow HST was stabled at Heaton at the time.

jon0844

Veteran Member
All the early arrival times, despite delays, just show how much padding there is.

Fine for people travelling all the way, but annoying to those who are going to other stations who arrive late.

Still, sounds like a very fun day!

All the early arrival times, despite delays, just show how much padding there is.

Fine for people travelling all the way, but annoying to those who are going to other stations who arrive late.

Still, sounds like a very fun day!

Yes it was a fun day. Glad to have done it. Well done East Coast too.

Status
Not open for further replies.