• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Coast points scheme

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee_Again

So... pretty quickly I appear to have 700(ish) points. Enough for a 1st return anywhere with East Coast. I'll soon have 900 which I understand is enough for two returns.

I have two questions. First, does anybody have any experience of booking tickets? What's the availability like.

Secondly, I am going to Edinburgh, for the festival in August, so can't apply for my voucher until February. The website suggests that from December the rates are going up. Does anybody know what the new redemption rates will be?

Thank you,

Lee

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lrd

Established Member
From what I've seen on here, there really isn't that many services you can use them on.

Last edited:

amcluesent

I'm still in dialogue with EC when I couldn't travel on my Rewards ticket due to illness, and they said it was non-changeable, non-refundable, use it or lose it. That was some 'reward' all right!:cry:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm still in dialogue with EC when I couldn't travel on my Rewards ticket due to illness, and they said it was non-changeable, non-refundable, use it or lose it. That was some 'reward' all right!:cry:
Is it a correct interpretation that you want EC to abolish giving what are effectively 1st Advance tickets as rewards, and instead give out walk-up tickets?

EC could consider such a move, but of course walk-on tickets would have significantly greater value, so the points required would surely have to be massively increased accordingly.

amcluesent

Changable for the standard £10 admin fee would be fine. I don't know of any other business which gives it's best customers worse T&Cs than anyone off the street.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Is it a correct interpretation that you want EC to abolish giving what are effectively 1st Advance tickets as rewards, and instead give out walk-up tickets?

EC could consider such a move, but of course walk-on tickets would have significantly greater value, so the points required would surely have to be massively increased accordingly.

That's quite true, but it's poor customer service.

Amcluesent, did you have a medical certificate or sick note? I know of at least one TOC who are happy to make alternative arrangements if you can't use a complimentary ticket due to illness or bereavement, if you return the unused ticket. Provided you can substantiate your "exceptional circumstances" of course.

calc7

Established Member
So... pretty quickly I appear to have 700(ish) points. Enough for a 1st return anywhere with East Coast. I'll soon have 900 which I understand is enough for two returns.

I have two questions. First, does anybody have any experience of booking tickets? What's the availability like.

Secondly, I am going to Edinburgh, for the festival in August, so can't apply for my voucher until February. The website suggests that from December the rates are going up. Does anybody know what the new redemption rates will be?

Thank you,

Lee

Redeemed my first voucher as soon as I hit 500. It'd been sitting in my account until last weekend, when I booked an impulsive trip to Edinburgh in the week before Christmas and to take advantage of the Travelodge sale.

I think that passengers from London (i.e. me!) are more likely to have luck with good times, as you're still likely to get tickets in the morning peak out of Kings Cross (you can get on the 0700 from KGX but won't find tickets at that time going into London).

I booked the 1830 out of KGX, then the 1830 back from EDB the next day. There was availability on pretty much every train though anyway.

bengolding

I've booked a Reward ticket to Edinburgh going out on a weekday shortly on the 17:00 and returning two weekdays later on the 06:30.

graham43404

Booked the 07:35 Leeds to Kings Cross on a Saturday at the end of January and returning the morning after around 11:30 without any problem at all.

However one thing I did note, if you are paying for someone then do that bit first and put in your basket so to speak before doing the reward, do it the other way round and from what I saw the paying passenger doesn't get the usual 10% discount. No trouble doing it like that though with the excellent seat selection facility.

Lee_Again

Thanks to those who've responded. Looks like staying clear of the peak flows is about the only restriction.

Anybody know the new EC redemption rates? Have searched all over the web without success.

Yorkswatcher

Had a couple of there now only one I have been able to book was a weekend return. Pretty poor for what the say is on offer.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
How much do you have to spend to get points, i have used East coast but not got points. I have signed up for the reward scheme too.

Lrd

Established Member
How much do you have to spend to get points, i have used East coast but not got points. I have signed up for the reward scheme too.

For every £1 you spend with us online, we’ll give you 1 Point – or 1½ if you buy First Class tickets.

Taken from here.

You also get 100 points for joining.

Deerfold

Veteran Member

If you've used East Coast after signing up for the reward scheme they should start to show up in your account the next day. They won't show up as full points until it is no longer possible to refund or change the ticket (so over 2 months for an open return, the day after an advance). The minimum spend for points is £22.

If that's not happening, I'd talk to East Coast. I've got about 500 points with another 300 or so pending which isn't bad as I have an East Coast season ticket which is ineligible for points (most East Coast seasons are eligible).

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Basically, anything entirely on East Coast at full adult price. You get fewer points per pound than for buyingother tickets.

Points are awarded at the end of each month it is held (presumably so if you get a refund on it you stop getting points).

Bungle73

On Moderation
If you've used East Coast after signing up for the reward scheme they should start to show up in your account the next day. They won't show up as full points until it is no longer possible to refund or change the ticket (so over 2 months for an open return, the day after an advance). The minimum spend for points is £22.

If that's not happening, I'd talk to East Coast. I've got about 500 points with another 300 or so pending which isn't bad as I have an East Coast season ticket which is ineligible for points (most East Coast seasons are eligible).

I'm pretty sure my Advances still took a couple of months to be added. And isn't the £22 minimum spend only if they're not EC tickets?

Also it looks like they've added an offer of access to the FC lounge on any ticket for 50 points.....although you don't seem to be able to actually claim that ATM.

calc7

Established Member

Funnily enough, I seem to have had the opposite experience.
Purchasing walk-up fares has given me points straight away, and advances I wait on for ages (though not quite two months).

calc7

Established Member
http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/loyalty-intro-page/benefits/

Not sure this has been confirmed before.
Bit of kick in the teeth to anybody (like me!) who currently has 700pts and has been waiting to redeem 900 for 2 tickets.
Standard class tickets will be available from 9th Jan at the same redemption rates as currently available for ones in First. Not worth bothering with if you ask me!

Bungle73

On Moderation

Not sure this has been confirmed before.
Bit of kick in the teeth to anybody (like me!) who currently has 700pts and has been waiting to redeem 900 for 2 tickets.
Standard class tickets will be available from 9th Jan at the same redemption rates as currently available for ones in First. Not worth bothering with if you ask me!
Well they always said the offer was going to change in November.

John @ home

Established Member
they always said the offer was going to change in November.
But in July they said that their "normal" rate would be 800 points for a free First Class return for one, and 1200 points for free First Class returns for two. See posts 1, 13 and 14 of New East Coast loyalty scheme: "East Coast Rewards". Now it's to be 900 and 1400.

Just another example of EC not delivering what they promise.

calc7

Established Member
Well they always said the offer was going to change in November.

And when it didn't there was always a glimmer of hope that they would be keeping the rates.
What's more frustrating is waiting for the pending points to become active. I'd be home and dry if they were!

Deerfold

Veteran Member
What's more frustrating is waiting for the pending points to become active. I'd be home and dry if they were!

That is annoying.

If it weren't for pending points I'd have 820 points and have likely got another 80 pounds of train tickets I could buy before Jan 9th - but there's no point as they won't become real points in time.

Bungle73

On Moderation
But in July they said that their "normal" rate would be 800 points for a free First Class return for one, and 1200 points for free First Class returns for two. See posts 1, 13 and 14 of New East Coast loyalty scheme: "East Coast Rewards". Now it's to be 900 and 1400.

Just another example of EC not delivering what they promise.
I don't see how they "promised" those would be the rates after the offer ended.

And when it didn't there was always a glimmer of hope that they would be keeping the rates.

But that was hardly likely, was it? So hardly "a kick in the teeth" as you put it.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I don't see how they "promised" those would be the rates after the offer ended.

It was suggested - and is therefore likely to disappoint people, which I'm guessing isn't the idea behind having a rewards scheme...

From 9 January, a free loyalty first class journey will cost 900 points (currently 500). A standard class journey will cost 500 points.

A real pain for me as I have 95 "pending" points which would take be over 500 but won't mature until after 8 January!

On the more positive side the new first class lounge one-day pass for 50 points looks like good value.

Status
Not open for further replies.