• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Coast points scheme

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Anybody know the new EC redemption rates? Have searched all over the web without success.
The rate of 500 points for a First Class return journey is now described as an "introductory offer". That rate after 8th January will be 900 points.
There will be a new offer of exchanging 500 points for a Standard Class ticket.

Thanks to East Coast's relentless positive spin machine, these increases are thanks to us: "We've been listening to your feedback and have made some improvements in how the scheme works"

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bungle73

On Moderation
The rate of 500 points for a First Class return journey is now described as an "introductory offer". That rate after 8th January will be 900 points.
There will be a new offer of exchanging 500 points for a Standard Class ticket.

Thanks to East Coast's relentless positive spin machine, these increases are thanks to us: "We've been listening to your feedback and have made some improvements in how the scheme works"
It was always described as an "introductory offer". I'm not sure why you're making a fuss about it. They are bringing in some great new offers (50 points for all day FC Lounge access on any ticket for example).

Last edited:

calc7

Established Member
I'm not annoyed they put the points values up, or claiming they reneged on a promise, I am merely stating my opinion that I am frustrated that the points will not clear in time. This is no fault of EC.

Bungle73

On Moderation
I'm not annoyed they put the points values up, or claiming they reneged on a promise, I am merely stating my opinion that I am frustrated that the points will not clear in time. This is no fault of EC.

Your reference to EC's "spin machine" seems to indicate you think they've done something wrong. I'm sure they weren't referring to the FC ticket increases when they mentioned "improvements"; merely the new offers they're introducing.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Your reference to EC's "spin machine" seems to indicate you think they've done something wrong. I'm sure they weren't referring to the FC ticket increases when they mentioned "improvements"; merely the new offers they're introducing.

Calc7 didn't refer to any "spin machine" - that was DaveNewcastle.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Your reference to EC's "spin machine" seems to indicate you think they've done something wrong.
I'll guess you haven't tried to have a balanced discussion with her, then, nor with anyone else in her, er, Communications Department.
I'm not sure why you're making a fuss about it.
"Fuss?"

I'd like to think my comments on the matter are more balanced than East Coast's (though maybe only time will tell). That excessive bias is what I object to, and do so most vociferously on the 'EC First Class meals' thread, though also in their promotion of the lowest tiers of Advance fares which verges on deceit (and which has also been discussed in appropriate threads from time to time).

Calc7 didn't refer to any "spin machine" - that was DaveNewcastle.
its always reassuring to know that someone's paying attention!

Bungle73

On Moderation
I'll guess you haven't tried to have a balanced discussion with her, then, nor with anyone else in her, er, Communications Department."Fuss?"

I'd like to think my comments on the matter are more balanced than East Coast's (though maybe only time will tell). That excessive bias is what I object to, and do so most vociferously on the 'EC First Class meals' thread, though also in their promotion of the lowest tiers of Advance fares which verges on deceit (and which has also been discussed in appropriate threads from time to time).

its always reassuring to know that someone's paying attention!

Sorry, I don't have a clue what you're on about, or how it relates to the changes to EC Rewards? Which promotion of Advance fairs verges on "deceit"?

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Have to agree with DaveNewcatle really, it's rather sneaky to refer to improvements at the same time as nearly doubling the cost of a free FC ticket. I found it to be a rather illogical email.

But it sounds like they're also changing the way free tickets are booked, maybe they'll be available on more trains than before?

Essexman

Established Member
I've already taken 500 points for a voucher but not used it yet. Do you think I'll be able to use it after 9th January or will I have to 'buy' another one?

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
I've already taken 500 points for a voucher but not used it yet. Do you think I'll be able to use it after 9th January or will I have to 'buy' another one?
If you have 'transferred' the 500 points into a latent free ticket, then the 8th January cut off does not apply to you.
If it has successfully been converted into a latent ticket, then it will appear on the EC homepage after you sign-in, if you scroll down to the Rewards section.
Your time limit for taking up the offer of a free ticket remains "valid for six months" after the date on which you transferred the 'points' to a latent ticket - that is unchanged.

However, by quoting this detail from the T&Cs, of their (generous / pointless) additional opportunity to convert your 'points', I must admit to having once again violated Condition 7.2 of the EC Rewards Scheme which restricts any 'Member' from re-distributing or reproducing any material relating to the scheme. By accepting the T&Cs I commited to not telling you this, so there goes my 1700 points.
You've just gained (hopefully) and I've just lost (Ostensibly).
(Could someone please remind me which law firm DOR Ltd instructs and if they have paid that firms regular Invoices? I'm sure I know who they are already, but their name just seems to have slipped my mind for a moment - wouldn't it be so nice to have their name publicised more widely?
They deserve all the reputation that they can get, don't they?
Numties.).

Last edited:

Bungle73

On Moderation
Have to agree with DaveNewcatle really, it's rather sneaky to refer to improvements at the same time as nearly doubling the cost of a free FC ticket. I found it to be a rather illogical email.

Illogical how? Was the temporary nature of the FC deal a secret? No. It was stated quite clearly on their website that it would change; obviously this meant the number of points needed would go up. So I'm sorry, but I don't see what the fuss is about.

The email states they have made "improvements" and that's what they've done; the increase in the number of points needed for a FC ticket is neither here nor there.

Bungle73

On Moderation
I would have thought that exchanging points for tickets was the most pertinent part of the programme.

So, what? You thought the offer would stay the same, even though they stated categorically that it would change?

Bungle73

On Moderation
You implied that it wasn't important.

When the most significant part changes for the worse, it isn't an improvement, is it?

What I said was that it had nothing to do with the improvements they have announced.

And show me where it says that the increase is one of the "improvements"?

calc7

Established Member
Virgin's Traveller scheme is only really applicable if you spend a shedload on First Class fares - in which case you're likely to be a business traveller and less-so an enthusiast.
I'd be interested to know how well-used it is other than for the Friday night/Monday morning commutes - I can't see a consultant who is travelling all week wanting to spend their weekend always cooped up on the same trains!

dstrat

Of course I'd welcome any benefits and of course I'd rather not moan...but :D.... compared to the old points benefits system things you used to get at petrol stations....this is pathetic!!

Spend nearly a grand to get a free first class return?? Might as well wait for an offer to come round! Again, this is one of those 'schemes' that just appears to benefit those regular travellers with pockets deep enough that its prolly not a big deal anyhow.

34D

Established Member
However, by quoting this detail from the T&Cs, of their (generous / pointless) additional opportunity to convert your 'points', I must admit to having once again violated Condition 7.2 of the EC Rewards Scheme which restricts any 'Member' from re-distributing or reproducing any material relating to the scheme. By accepting the T&Cs I commited to not telling you this, so there goes my 1700 points.
You've just gained (hopefully) and I've just lost (Ostensibly).
(Could someone please remind me which law firm DOR Ltd instructs and if they have paid that firms regular Invoices? I'm sure I know who they are already, but their name just seems to have slipped my mind for a moment - wouldn't it be so nice to have their name publicised more widely?
They deserve all the reputation that they can get, don't they?
Numties.).

So you've got to keep it secret? What is this this, the masons or something?

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
I used some of my EC points on a First Class Lounge pass. I got this for my missus as I tend not to hang round stations much and usually bowl up as the door tones are sounding and jump on at last second. However, it was sent to my e-mail address with my name on it and note saying that it was not transferable. Is it possible to alter this so that it can be used by her instead ?

Last edited:

John @ home

Established Member
Is it possible to alter this so that it can be used by her instead ?
I doubt it.

The terms & conditions make it clear that some Rewards are transferable
6.1.4 Special rules for East Coast Free ticket redemptions:

b. This benefit is transferable and can be booked for someone else.

http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/loyalty-intro-page/membership-terms-and-conditions/
and others are not.
Lounges Terms and Conditions
  1. The Rewards First Class Lounge One Day Pass is only valid on the date selected when redeeming the reward. The voucher is not valid on any other day.
  2. Members must redeem 50 Rewards Points to take up this offer.
  3. The one day Pass is only valid at the following East Coast Station First Class Lounges –London King’s Cross, Leeds, Newcastle, Edinburgh Waverley, Berwick-upon-Tweed, Darlington, Wakefield Westgate and Doncaster stations.
  4. The Pass entitles the holder into an East Coast First Class Lounge.
  5. Rewards member can be travelling with any TOC to enjoy this reward, not just East Coast.
  6. This one day Pass is valid on any ticket type.
  7. This reward cannot be exchanged for cash or re-sold.
  8. East Coast cannot be made responsible for lost, stolen or damaged printed Passes and should be kept in a safe place. If an eligible Pass is not presented upon entry to the East Coast First Class lounge, access will not be permitted.
http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/loyalty-intro-page/membership-terms-and-conditions/

34D

Established Member
For the future, could you not change your name to M. Lemming instead of Mr Mutant Lemming?

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
I doubt it.

The terms & conditions make it clear that some Rewards are transferable and others are not.

Looking at those terms it doesn't actually state that you can't get the pass for someone else. It's only when you actually get the e-mail that it says it is valid for the person named on the e-mail/pass.
Even then term 5 on the e-mail states
5.This reward cannot be transferred, exchanged for cash or re-sold
If it is only to be used by one person and isn't transferred to another then isn't that technically within the terms of it ?
They state you can get a free First Class Lounge Pass and don't actually say that the person who obtains it has to use it.
I suppose I'll have to contact EC and get what their actual take on it is.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
For the future, could you not change your name to M. Lemming instead of Mr Mutant Lemming?

You may be right... it could be some time before us damned mutants become an accepted part of society.

Bungle73

On Moderation
Looking at those terms it doesn't actually state that you can't get the pass for someone else. It's only when you actually get the e-mail that it says it is valid for the person named on the e-mail/pass.
Even then term 5 on the e-mail states
5.This reward cannot be transferred, exchanged for cash or re-sold
If it is only to be used by one person and isn't transferred to another then isn't that technically within the terms of it ?
They state you can get a free First Class Lounge Pass and don't actually say that the person who obtains it has to use it.
I suppose I'll have to contact EC and get what their actual take on it is.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

You may be right... it could be some time before us damned mutants become an accepted part of society.
You're transferring it by giving it to someone else.

jon0844

Veteran Member

Yes, I have to admit that I - and no doubt lots of others - wrote in and asked them to make it necessary to earn more points before being able to redeem them.

I also asked for them to partner up with companies like Love Film and offer the same deals as available from anyone else that has partnered with them - thus offering no saving at all. In fact, I'd hope that EC look to sign up to every affiliate scheme known to man, which are nearly always a waste of time...

I'd love to SEE the feedback they received, as well as the feedback that didn't ask for the above to happen. ;)

jon0844

Veteran Member

I never believe anything I read now from companies, or I'm always in cynic-mode and read through to find the catch (and there always is one - I can't remember the last letter I got that genuinely offered something better than I had before). I remember a bank writing to me to say that, when interest rates rose, they were going to keep things simple by freezing my rates - when it applied to a savings account, so was in effect a way of saying they weren't passing the interest rate rise on!

I hate the way they word things to imply they're doing you a favour! Lloyds also wrote about how they were improving my overdraft facility, while failing to draw much attention to the £5 per month fee (previously free) that I now had to pay. A cool £60 per year to the bank that they didn't get before.

I am sure that was also done after listening to the feedback from people who felt the poor bank deserved more money.

We are in tough times and I'd much rather a letter that was honest and said that they had to increase charges, not lie or deceive, or just be sneaky and rely on people misreading or failing to read the small print. Or, the other trick (started by British Gas?) of increasing charges and then shortly after introducing a price freeze - at the higher rate obviously.

That said, to be fair to EC, if the current offer was marked as a promotion then fair enough if it changes.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I have no idea about this offer as I only joined the EC scheme last week, after I bought two tickets and saw the invite (sadly, I can't claim the points on what I spent just seconds beforehand!).

However, I got the email saying 'we've listened to your feedback' which is nearly always going to be followed with something that is worse than before. I would prefer simple honesty, and doubt anyone asked for EC to partner with the same affiliate schemes that anyone can partner with.

There's nothing to stop this site offering a free trial to a DVD/movie service, or selling mobile phones or any other price comparison scheme. EC won't offer anything more than elsewhere, and just hope to make some easy money. I would rather such loyalty schemes concentrated on more important things!

But, in any case, I already said above; "That said, to be fair to EC, if the current offer was marked as a promotion then fair enough if it changes." so I don't see why you needed to write anything anyway!!

Status
Not open for further replies.