• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Coast points scheme

Status
Not open for further replies.

graham43404

I have no idea about this offer as I only joined the EC scheme last week, after I bought two tickets and saw the invite (sadly, I can't claim the points on what I spent just seconds beforehand!).
You might have a pleasant surprise with that one as when I joined I had some already booked journeys added on as well.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deerfold

Veteran Member
But, in any case, I already said above; "That said, to be fair to EC, if the current offer was marked as a promotion then fair enough if it changes." so I don't see why you needed to write anything anyway!!

The current offer was marked as being promotional - but it was indicated that after the promotion 2 1st class tickets would go from 900 points to 1200 points, not the 1400 they have gone up to.

ashworth

Established Member
I'm pretty sure my Advances still took a couple of months to be added. And isn't the £22 minimum spend only if they're not EC tickets?

That's annoying, didn't know about the £22 minimum spend on non East Coast tickets. Just bought a couple of advance tickets yesterday valued at £21!

calc7

Established Member
That's annoying, didn't know about the £22 minimum spend on non East Coast tickets. Just bought a couple of advance tickets yesterday valued at £21!

I'm sure you could have found a child advance of circa £1 on some routes to push it over!
In my clamber to get to 900 pts I bought some tickets to/from Zone U12* LONDN to push me past the £22.

The current offer was marked as being promotional - but it was indicated that after the promotion 2 1st class tickets would go from 900 points to 1200 points, not the 1400 they have gone up to.

What do you mean indicated? Did they say that would be the rate or not?

John @ home

Established Member
Did they say that would be the rate or not?
East Coast said it in the July 2011 version of the Rewards terms & conditions that the conversion rate was 800 points for a free First Class return ticket for one and 1200 for a free First Class return ticket for two. At the same time, the Rewards home page quoted 500 and 900 points respectively, and stated that this was an introductory offer.

This was mentioned by All Line Rover on 25 July 2011 on this forum. See New East Coast loyalty scheme: "East Coast Rewards", particularly the small type in post #1, route: oxford's reply in post #13 and All Line Rover's acknowledgement in post #14.

This explains passengers' discontent with East Coast now that they are changing the rate to 900 and 1400 points respectively.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Righty-oh, this all seems to be a lot of moaning, although I can see the point about the drastic increase. For what it's worth, I laughed at the East Coast spin machine comment. Isn't that what Virgin are world famous for, and slated to the end of the universe for?

Anyway, I've gone through all 5 pages of froth, flap and moan. As I said, the drastic increase from 900 to 1400 points is crazy. Even so, I've had an account with East Coast for booking tickets for longer than I can remember, and getting points for buying tickets sounds like a good move since I do so often. But I'm confused on one thing:

For those tickets which aren't East Coast only tickets, say a Hereford to Birmingham day return for example, you have to spend £22 or more? If so, I suddenly don't see me gaining points too quickly with EC Rewards after all.

Mind you, doesn't Red Spotted Hanky have a points loyalty system? I need to have a look into this...

EDIT: It does, 1 point per £1 spent, 100 points equalling £1 travel voucher. How I haven't cottoned onto this already I dunno, but I have a sneaky feeling I'll be using RSH for all my ticketing needs from now on...

Last edited:

calc7

Established Member
The EC rewards has its uses for certain people: those living on/near EC routes, those who would spend the money anyway (eg. business expenses).
It is not unconceivable that some people could spend £2800 on travel in a year, and thus get a "free" FC return travel to London/Scotland for a family holiday or for a group of friends, particularly if one person in the family/group buys all its tickets.

But, as Techniquest says, the reward is pretty useless for the 90% of the country who live nowhere near the ECML or do not spend hundreds on rail travel.

I'd love it for Virgin to do a similar scheme (Traveller is useless for plebs like me!).

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I think if any TOC did it for their own stuff, we'd all be laughing if it was one near to us. I'd be grinning all the time with the amount of travel I do on LM if they were to do such a thing, same for ATW and to a lesser extent these days FGW. Alas, I doubt it'll happen.

amcluesent

I'm told by the EC helpdesk they're are having 'technical problems' in allowing pax to book FC tickets using reward vouchers. Just a day before they jump from needing 500 to 900 points! Funny that...just a coincidence I'm sure! :roll:

Bungle73

On Moderation
I'm told by the EC helpdesk they're are having 'technical problems' in allowing pax to book FC tickets using reward vouchers. Just a day before they jump from needing 500 to 900 points! Funny that...just a coincidence I'm sure! :roll:

If it's only a problem with booking the tickets, that wouldn't affect one's ability to convert points into a voucher would it?

calc7

Established Member
The free ticket voucher for 2 has disappeared from my homepage; indeed it believes I haven't even joined the rewards scheme!

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
The free ticket voucher for 2 has disappeared from my homepage; indeed it believes I haven't even joined the rewards scheme!
I've not had exactly the same experienced when logging in just now (Sun 8th Jan).
Unlike you, my 'membership' of the scheme appears, as do my 'available points' and 'pending points', but like you, the two vouchers I had recently converted for first class tickets (at the rate of 500 per journey) no longer appear.

amcluesent

I hope everyone's kept the emails from EC about redemption of points and details of tickets(s) bought on Rewards, in case EC 'forgets'

Last edited:

TRAINLINCS

My redeemed points have also disappeared.
I have just contacted web support and they tell me that this is because of current difficulties with the website and assured me that any points already redeemed for free 1st class travel will be valid to convert for free tickets for six months from the redemtion date.They are working to correct the website and these redemtions should then show again along with the link on the home page to search for free tickets.

amcluesent

I've been able to call off me points and redeem at 500/pts per ticket. Hopefully they will be 'remembered' by EC and able to convert into ticket in due course!

TBH, I doubt Rewards has been much of a success for EC in terms of repeat business and goodwill. It's been nothing but bu**eration for me!

Last edited:

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
As per the First Class Lounge Pass. Point 3 states that the holder of the pass is entitled to use the first class lounge and it does not specify that the holder has to be the recipient of the e-mail. The staff who were guardians of entry at two of the lounges (won't mention which ones) were of the opinion that the wording entitled the holder of the pass admission to the lounge.

Last edited:

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Now, 'my' vouchers for free 1st Class 'Rewards' tickets have re-appeared.
But there's two odd things about them. There were 2 of them before they disappeared (with expiry dates a few months into the future).
Well now I have 3 of them. Two have expiry dates of 01/01/01 (ie in the past), though they seem to allow me to book a journey in the future.

John @ home

Established Member
Two have expiry dates of 01/01/01 (ie in the past)
Don't be so pessimistic, Dave! Less than 89 years til 01/01/01. And everybody can argue again whether 01/01/00 or 01/01/01 is the correct date for the Centennial celebrations!

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Now the prospect of me still breathing and still travelling in 89 years time is contentious to say the least.
But the prospect of East Coast still operating and still honouring its 'Rewards' scheme in 89 years time can only be imagined by a delerious and unstable mind!

But now you've started me wondering, might the Centennial celebrations you mention perhaps co-incide with a High Speed rail link reaching north of Sheffield?

[BTW I did attempt to convert one of those 01/01/01 vouchers into an actual journey (in the near future) and the EC booking system seemed to accept it, though it didn't complete the transaction.]

Apparently now 500pts can be converted to a standard return ticket or 900pts for two people, unsure if old news.

Bungle73

On Moderation
Apparently now 500pts can be converted to a standard return ticket or 900pts for two people, unsure if old news.

Been known about for ages. Don't remind the people here about it though; that used to be the deal to get FC tickets. :P

amcluesent

Well my jinx from EC Rewards looks set to continue. After being too ill to travel when I used by first 500 points, I used another 500 to book PBO-EDB out Sat back Sun.

Now it looks like EC will be rammed with WCML diverts if they close the line at Bletchley for repairs and/or I'll be stuck for hours in a freezing carriage when ECML's OHLE gets ripped down during the ice storm on Sunday.

I was prepared to endure Pandora & Tarquin Smythe-Hamilton and his rugger bugger chums in FC, but this will surely be a trip to forget!:cry:

Last edited:

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Well my jinx from EC Rewards looks set to continue. After being too ill to travel when I used by first 500 points, I used another 500 to book PBO-EDB out Sat back Sun.

Now it looks like EC will be rammed with WCML diverts if they close the line at Bletchley for repairs and/or I'll be stuck for hours in a freezing carriage when ECML's OHLE gets ripped down during the ice storm on Sunday.

I was prepared to endure Pandora & Tarquin Smythe-Hamilton and his rugger bugger chums in FC, but this will surely be a trip to forget!:cry:

How did it go?

amcluesent

Just at DON, so don't want to risk a reply yet...but it's certainly barely over 60 in the carriage!

Edit Fair play to EC, just 5 mins delayed into PBO. By anticipating the worst, the reality was actually OK, even with the snow starting on Saturday...

9a359d67.jpg

Last edited:

Bungle73

On Moderation
3, 6 and 12 month lounge passes coming soon, according to an email I just received.

Lee_Again

So...just reached 2804 points. 2 pairs of 1st Class tickets. Thank you East Coast.

Just looking at the RedSpotted... loyalty scheme. Did I read it right? 2800 points would give me £28. What sort of incentive is that? My 4 1st Class tickets equates to at least £400.

Status
Not open for further replies.