• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Coast points scheme

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bungle73

On Moderation
So...just reached 2804 points. 2 pairs of 1st Class tickets. Thank you East Coast.

Just looking at the RedSpotted... loyalty scheme. Did I read it right? 2800 points would give me £28. What sort of incentive is that? My 4 1st Class tickets equates to at least £400.

No it would give you £280. 100 points is worth £1.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clip

Established Member
Im wondering if this rewards scheme is ever going to be as good as the cashback deals on offer from southern?

I can understand people wanting a bit of respite in the first class lounge once every so often but you still have to spend an awful lot to be able to get your voucher..

has anyone done a comparison with them yet? I see Southern are giving you 6% atm which isnt bad and seems better value on a ticket then a rest in a first class lounge

Lee_Again

No it would give you £280. 100 points is worth £1.

but the T&C's say

Each e-voucher will entitle the recipient to the same value in loyalty points. Each Loyalty Point is worth 1p, therefore a £10 e-voucher amounts to a total of 1000 loyalty points to be redeemed against the cost of future UK train travel with redspottedhanky.com.

What am I missing?

Bungle73

On Moderation
but the T&C's say

Each e-voucher will entitle the recipient to the same value in loyalty points. Each Loyalty Point is worth 1p, therefore a £10 e-voucher amounts to a total of 1000 loyalty points to be redeemed against the cost of future UK train travel with redspottedhanky.com.

What am I missing?

That's an e-voucher you get given somehow, like the £5 ones they just gave away.

Each Loyalty Point is worth 1p
Therefore 100 points is worth £1.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Red Spotted Hanky said:
The current redemption value of points is one point equal to one penny. We reserve the right to vary the rate at any time. Points may only be redeemed against future purchases. They can never be redeemed in cash.
filler

The instructions for the first class lounge pass mention printing out the pass and then refers to the "holder of the pass".

Has anyone tried doing this electronically e.g. on smart phone or ipad? I personally can't see what difference it makes whether you print it out or not.

I'm hoping I can decide much closer to the time whether to redeem my points or not, but by the time I can decide I won't have access to a printer.

lyesbkz

Interestingly (but unsurprisingly) the 3-, 6- and 12-month passes are not "Print at Home"

Has anyone tried doing this electronically e.g. on smart phone or ipad? I personally can't see what difference it makes whether you print it out or not.

I tried it at King's Cross a couple of months ago and had no problems. I was going to ask whether it would be ok, however to be honest the bloke manning the desk didn't even look at it, when he heard the word 'lounge' he interrupted and just said "go ahead then" (without even a glance at the pass on my phone's screen)

3 months = 700 points

6 months = 1100 points

12 month = 2000 points

These actually don't seem too bad, especially compared to the (now) extortionate "£5 per lounge" policy for passengers who already hold a 1st Advance ticket!

Finally, I don't see these new Passes in the list of Rewards to select from once logged in (although maybe that's just because I don't have enough points!) I wonder if they'll ever start selling these for money, like EMT..

Last edited:
lyesbkz said:
I tried it at King's Cross a couple of months ago and had no problems. I was going to ask whether it would be ok, however to be honest the bloke manning the desk didn't even look at it, when he heard the word 'lounge' he interrupted and just said "go ahead then" (without even a glance at the pass on my phone's screen)

Tried it with an iPad at Kings Cross but nobody checked anything at all. Nice facilities but shocking lime green carpet!

SWT_USER

Is anyone else having problems trying to book tickets using the 'free' ones?

I redeemed 900 points for a standard class return for two last night and can't book anything. I thought it may be an availability issue but it doesn't seem to work on any dates.

The journey I'm trying to book is London to Edinburgh going out on Saturday 19th and coming back on the 20th May.

Failed Unit

Established Member
The are quota, the selected train may be allocated.

I tend to book ASAP but the the cheapest 1st tickets are normally on offer! I think Friday's and weekends you may struggle if you don't get in early.

leyscjd

Since they 'refreshed' their website, the 'free' returns don't show up on any trains at any time. They are quota controlled but for the time being are not there at all.

SWT_USER

It's telling me I have 0 unused vouchers, where presumably it should say I have 1 as I haven't booked the tickets yet? I've gone through the form on their website but they say they'll take 5 days to get back to me.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
east coast said:
Thank you for your email dated 19th April 2012, regarding East Coast Rewards.

We are currently experiencing issues making bookings using reward points, please be assured we are working hard to resolve this issue as a matter of urgency, please accept our sincere apologies if this has caused you any inconvenience.

Thank you for contacting us.

Got this reply from them yesterday. Wish they'd told me that before I redeemed the points though!

Status
Not open for further replies.