• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Coast rewards after February 2015?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewkeith5

Virgin will use Thetrainline.

So far the only TOC website using the Trainline to have this feature is XC, it is unclear why the others don't, but the feature does exist.

Is that confirmed yet?

If they definitely are using thetrainline then they can stuff it - it's an utterly disgusting piece of software that is a total nightmare to use - and in Virgin Trains case never offers me the ticket I want. I haven't seen so many usability screw-ups since GCSE IT.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ModernRailways

Established Member
Is that confirmed yet?

If they definitely are using thetrainline then they can stuff it - it's an utterly disgusting piece of software that is a total nightmare to use - and in Virgin Trains case never offers me the ticket I want. I haven't seen so many usability screw-ups since GCSE IT.

In their small FAQ, they say they are changing the booking process so it's more than likely they will be switching.

hangus78

In their small FAQ, they say they are changing the booking process so it's more than likely they will be switching.

All I can see is:

Will the Virgin Trains website and booking process change?

Yes, a little. There will be a rebrand of the existing East Coast website and online booking process. Following this, we’ll be looking to make enhancements that improve the customer experience.

Sounds to me like that the only things that willl change initially are the colours and fonts

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Bear in mind that Virgin/Stagecoach are buying East Coast, not simply taking over the franchise. Switching away from WebTIS might not be as easy as simply buying the TTL product instead, especially if they have an outstanding contract with ATOS.

That said, every other Stagecoach franchise uses TTL, so it's not an unreasonable assumption.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Is that confirmed yet?
No. Sorry; I should have clarified, it was a prediction.

I agree with Arctic Troll it won't be easy but all Virgin/Stagecoach Train Companies use Thetrainline, with almost all others opting for the vastly superior Atos WebTIS.

I know they will want to use Thetrainline but I'm hoping that they will find it too costly and tricky to justify switching, but what I hope will happen is not what I predict will happen.;)

Stats

All I can see is:

Will the Virgin Trains website and booking process change?

Yes, a little. There will be a rebrand of the existing East Coast website and online booking process. Following this, we’ll be looking to make enhancements that improve the customer experience.

Sounds to me like that the only things that willl change initially are the colours and fonts
Unless things have changed since they were initially awarded the franchise, the initial press release is quite unambiguous that there will be a new website and booking tool.
New technology – new website
New booking tool launched

Essexman

Established Member
I have 4204 points, 681 pending and will book another 150 or so worth by 28th February. Initially the advice was to redeem them all by 28th and that tickets bought with rewards had to be booked by 30th September (but presumably can be used for a while after that if booked before this date).

Is this still the case or am I right to interpret the information on East Coast's website that they can be redeemed and used up to 30th September? I will convert them all to first class tickets and if I wait for the pending & new points will have enough for 3 x 4 tickets.

Red Dragon

I managed to make some bookings yesterday which took me to 929 points in my EC account, and converted these to 2 x first class singles this morning.
Have enjoyed my "free" trips on EC over the past few years and I'll miss these.
Having booked all my tickets through EC in recent years, it's been a very good deal for me whilst it lasted !

I shall now look to move to Southern or TPE (via the RailUK link?) unless anyone can give a better pointer ?

When one door closes another may open - maybe we should use the knowledge and technical ability within the forum to set up our own engine, or lock onto an existing engine to negotiate a preferential deal, and share the rewards amongst the forum members using it - how much do you think Forum Members spend in total annually on train tickets?

There must be ernormous buying power within this forum.

Martin Lewis has just used this sort of buying power to negotiate better gas and electricity prices with an energy group.

Food for thought - or a non-starter ?

Yorkie - I'd appreciate your views.

Last edited:

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Is anyone else finding that points are staying at the 'pending' stage for longer than before?
No, not in the least.

But I have found that £0 'Rewards' tickets are only available up until May 9th, while Advances (other than the 24 week Edinburgh - Newcastle - London advance tickets) are available for a week further ahead (i.e. up to May 16th).

Just been reading on the new site that any unused points can be traded for 6 nectar points per EC point, so in fact a free ticket from EC is worth £7.65 with Nectar

Interesting they have said the introduction of the new scheme is from what passengers want

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Just been reading on the new site that any unused points can be traded for 6 nectar points per EC point, so in fact a free ticket from EC is worth £7.65 with Nectar

Interesting they have said the introduction of the new scheme is from what passengers want

Of course it won't be what passengers want!

They'll have asked a load of loaded questions to get the answers they want.

Marton

It's what infrequent travellers wants they don't get enough points.

We frequent travellers want what we have now or very similar

I think I will stick with the EC booking engine as it is the only one which will let me choose my seat. If I am wrong please let me know.

CallySleeper

Established Member
I have 4204 points, 681 pending and will book another 150 or so worth by 28th February. Initially the advice was to redeem them all by 28th and that tickets bought with rewards had to be booked by 30th September (but presumably can be used for a while after that if booked before this date).

Is this still the case or am I right to interpret the information on East Coast's website that they can be redeemed and used up to 30th September? I will convert them all to first class tickets and if I wait for the pending & new points will have enough for 3 x 4 tickets.

Can anyone more intheknow respond to this please? AFAIU pending points will be made available shortly after 1st March and all points have until 30 Sep to be redeemed. It's my understand also that tickets redeemed can only be booked to travel until 30th Sep.

Searle

Established Member
Can anyone more intheknow respond to this please? AFAIU pending points will be made available shortly after 1st March and all points have until 30 Sep to be redeemed. It's my understand also that tickets redeemed can only be booked to travel until 30th Sep.

After 28th February, the points will all disappear (/turn into nectar points I think), you will not gain any more and you will not be able to cash in any of your previous points. You will keep all of your free tickets/other rewards, and you will be able to use them on trains up until 30th September. After 30th September, the rewards system will be gone forever, and nectar will reign on.

JaJaWa

Established Member
After 28th February, the points will all disappear (/turn into nectar points I think), you will not gain any more and you will not be able to cash in any of your previous points.

Wrong. "You can redeem them against the current scheme up until 30 September 2015, or simply convert them straight into Nectar points"... "we're providing six months for our customers to either use their existing points against existing Rewards offers or convert them to Nectar points at a value exchange of six Nectar points to one reward point to use against any of Nectar's redemption partners."

You will keep all of your free tickets/other rewards, and you will be able to use them on trains up until 30th September. After 30th September, the rewards system will be gone forever

Wrong. You can convert your Rewards points to tickets up to the 30 September 2015 so you could be travelling on one a few months after that.

and nectar will reign on.
???

See http://www.virgintrainseastcoast.com for details. More information will be posted on Monday 24 February.

Last edited:

JaJaWa

Established Member
So presumably the EC website will continue in some form, to allow redemption of points and use of the availability checker?

Virgin are just putting their logo on the current East Coast website. The Rewards section will still be there until the end of September when you login.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Virgin are just putting their logo on the current East Coast website. The Rewards section will still be there until the end of September when you login.

That's how I read it too. I suspect the website redesign and ditching webtis in favour of the trainline based booking engine will come at the end of September.

trainophile

Established Member
email just received, I guess you've all had one...

Dear ****,

We emailed you on 19 January 2015 to inform you that Rewards will be closing on 28 February 2015 and Nectar will be launching 1 March 2015.

We are emailing you today to confirm that from 1 March until 30 September 2015 you will be able to convert your Rewards points into Nectar points at a rate of 6 Nectar points for every 1 Rewards point.

To convert your Rewards points from 1 March, you will simply need to log in to your Rewards account and select the Nectar points conversion reward and confirm how many points you wish to convert.

You will be required to provide your Nectar card number at the point of redemption. Your Nectar points will appear in your Nectar account within 28 days of redemption.

From 1 March, you will also be able to convert Nectar points into an eVoucher which can be used as payment for Virgin Trains East Coast Advance tickets. There will be an introductory offer of 500 Nectar points = £3.75 until 31 May 2015 (500 points = £2.50 from 1 June 2015). There will also be other exciting opportunities to earn bonus points throughout the year to help you get the very best from your Nectar membership.

If you are not a Nectar member yet, and would like to join in advance of 1 March, simply click here.

For further details about converting your Nectar points, please click here.

Kind regards,
The East Coast team

No mention of redeeming points for free tickets after 1st March :| .

Deerfold

Veteran Member
email just received, I guess you've all had one...

Oh woe. Instead of the Annual Lounge Pass I've just got, I could have had £90 worth of train travel. How will I cope. :lol:

JaJaWa

Established Member

The email is specifically about Nectar. The linked website clearly says "If you’re a member of the existing East Coast Rewards scheme and have Reward Points to use, you can redeem them against the current scheme up until 30 September 2015, or simply convert them straight into Nectar points."

trainophile

Established Member
The email is specifically about Nectar. The linked website clearly says "If you’re a member of the existing East Coast Rewards scheme and have Reward Points to use, you can redeem them against the current scheme up until 30 September 2015, or simply convert them straight into Nectar points."

Thanks, I missed that :oops: . Phew!

Essexman

Established Member
It does and I hope they will stick to that because not mentioning it in the mail and setting the link to go to the Nectar section of the website piece suggests they hope people will just convert and not take up free tickets.
Also, is there any guarantee that they will allocate as many free reward tickets on trains as East Coast did?

JaJaWa

Established Member
Also, is there any guarantee that they will allocate as many free reward tickets on trains as East Coast did?

Yes they said on Twitter that the availability will be the same or better than it currently is.

Status
Not open for further replies.