• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Coast Rewards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butts

Veteran Member
I have accumulated the requisite 900 points to book a First Class Return Ticket under this system.

As I understand it you "redeem" the points then search for availability and the zero fare will appear as an option if available. What worries me is what happens if your zero option is unavailable for the journey you wish to make, can you just leave the points in hyperspace until deciding to use them at a future date ? (ie when the journey you wish to make is available)

I guess the maximum value redemption would be Inverness to London return am I correct ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dave87016

Established Member
You can leave them in your account for upto six months there is NO rewards travel between 25th July and 10 August

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Actually, the points don't remain 'in hyperspace', because you have to aquire the "free tickets" in 2 steps:

Your 'points' can accumulate in your account and remain there, unused, for up to 2 years.
Firstly, you'll choose to transfer (or 'redeem') the points to a "free ticket" (and at that time you will specify whether it is a Std Class ticket for 1, Std class ticket for 2, 1st Class ticket for 1 or 1st Class ticket for 2).
That will remove the points from your account and (shortly afterwards) a 'free ticket credit' will appear in your account.
That 'free ticket credit' can remain there unused for months until you use it.

The Second stage is to use that 'free ticket credit' to buy an actual train ticket. That's when you go looking through the timetables and find lots of journeys you can make on EC trains being offered with a fare of £0.

Remember that 'Rewards' tickets must be booked at least 7 days before travel (6.1.4 (c)) ; and that 'Rewards' tickets may be transferred to another person (6.1.4 (b)) but the 'rewards' points or other benefits may not (7.1.1) and that I'm not permitted to tell you any of this (7.2).

Last edited:

calc7

Established Member
Typically it allows it to be redeemed on any train where the lower tiers are still available throughout (ie, where the journey is highlighted with a purple star to show the ~10% discount is available.

Obviously using it on a longish journey and using the calling at function to force you onto a slower train or have to change means you personally are more likely to get a higher value out of the voucher.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
I guess the maximum value redemption would be Inverness to London return am I correct ?
Probably, though some shorter journeys nearer to the date of travel may have only more expensive Advances (if any) remaining, so I've found a Rewards ticket a good way of buying a ticket for travel just a week or 2 in advance, even if the distance hasn't been so great.

Obviously using it on a longish journey and using the calling at function to force you onto a slower train or have to change means you personally are more likely to get a higher value out of the voucher.
I'm not sure that this strategy is going to get you very far. The Rewards tickets are only available for travel on East Coast's trains and are only available for travel on a specific train (as is an Advance), so I can't see that you can achieve a higher value journey by changing or travelling on a slower service.

Remember too, that they are only available for off-peak travel. I used one for a 1st class return but to get to London on time I then disregarded the Outward portion and bought a cheap advance to get there in time. It was still a useful saving as the 1st Class northbounds at a sensible time had gone up to somewhere near £100, and all I paid was £20 or so for the morning's Advance.

rail-britain

Established Member
I have accumulated the requisite 900 points to book a First Class Return Ticket under this system
What are the typical fares you had to purchase (spend) in order to acquire this loyalty bonus

calc7

Established Member
I'm not sure that this strategy is going to get you very far. The Rewards tickets are only available for travel on East Coast's trains and are only available for travel on a specific train (as is an Advance), so I can't see that you can achieve a higher value journey by changing or travelling on a slower service.

On the KGX<>YRK expresses, choosing calling at NNG (or similar) forces a change of train at YRK and you can pick up the express there.

Similarly, choosing calling at Morpeth if you like can give you an hour's layover in EDB from the 1730 ex-ABD so that you have to take the 1830 from there.

I'm not saying that for most people there is a lot to gain from this, but for those based at the ends of the route (like me in London or Butts in the Central Belt) who are perhaps using the tickets as a "treat" to go somewhere, it is a nice tactic to get round the ridiculously sparse trolley service afforded by the expresses, and the system can be manipulated to give you time to sample the station facilities of particular environs.

Butts

Veteran Member
What are the typical fares you had to purchase (spend) in order to acquire this loyalty bonus

Well you get 1.5 points for every pound spent on a 1st Class Journey and 1 for second class, and I think I got a bonus for signing up.

Most of my journeys are Advanced 1st Class Fares from FKG to various locations in the North of England. For example on Tuesday I am going to Alnmouth £11.60 each way (with r/card discount) and last Wednesday I went to Aberdeen £13.50 each way (rare internal excursion).

Visits are primarily to visit Castles etc - nb some journeys are peak ie Alnmouth 0745 from Haymarket on Tuesday.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
All contributors thanks for your posts and ideas.:p

Bakerbloke

I could do with coaching to find these tickets. I have a standard class for one sitting in my account - been there ages but I have never come across a journey where I can spend it. Right now I need a Stevenage to Doncaster for any Friday in October - none available according to the EC website.

John @ home

Established Member
Right now I need a Stevenage to Doncaster for any Friday in October - none available according to the EC website.
That may be because the reservations window for EC tickets is currently open only until Friday 5 October. See their home page. Have you tried that date?

An additional week's reservations usually become available on Thursdays.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I could do with coaching to find these tickets. I have a standard class for one sitting in my account - been there ages but I have never come across a journey where I can spend it. Right now I need a Stevenage to Doncaster for any Friday in October - none available according to the EC website.

Advance tickets have only been released for 1 Friday in October - the 5th so you won't be able to claim any free ones for later dates.

Bakerbloke

Advance tickets have only been released for 1 Friday in October - the 5th so you won't be able to claim any free ones for later dates.

Yes it was Friday the 5th. I remember I have tried all kinds of random dates and times in the past for travel at least 10 weeks in advance on EC only. No 0 fares ever seen. If someone can quote me a journey that would be valid then please tell me so I ca check I can see it when logged in to EC website. Cheers.

John @ home

Established Member
If someone can quote me a journey that would be valid then please tell me so I can check I can see it when logged in to EC website.
The difficulty with this request is that, for someone to be able to help you:
  • they must be an EC Rewards member who has accumulated the appropriate number of points, and
  • they must exchange these points for a free travel voucher, and
  • the number of passengers and class of travel must match yours, and
  • they must enter dummy return journeys for appropriate dates and times, ensuring that the outward journey is at least 7 days in advance, the return journey is within one month of the outward journey and both are within the current booking window.
I think this will greatly restrict the potential number of respondents.

Status
Not open for further replies.