• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Coast Scuppered

Status
Not open for further replies.

TGV

I live 1/4 mile from the area where the lines were pulled down yesterday. Had a quick look to find I was joined by sky news on the Brampton road bridge over the railway pointing their cameras down the track. I've not been back this morning and i'm not travelling to work today anyway but I can't hear the usual sound of trains passing so they're either all stopped or running through much slower.

Oh and well said by junglejames up there about twitter.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

junglejames

Established Member
What? Who on earth is suggesting that the drivers update twitter?

Twitter is just an information source, and just one of many destinations for information feeds. The point is that the information being given out centrally is non-existent, and there is no need for it to be so.

It may be OK for those who walk to the station and can get a Tube or bus, or drive a short distance instead, but if you've got a long journey there, if it's the only way to realistically get to your destination, and you have a series of early meetings that you have to rearrange if you can't turn up - yet again - then you need to know in advance. FCC are running a commuter service - a damn expensive one at that - this should be the least they can do.#

FWIW, their website said, this morning, that they were confident they'd run a full service. The live updates have been showing trains as 'on time' right up until well after they're due to leave. When the 06:59 from Biggleswade was eventually cancelled, the website showed that it was cancelled, that it was running but short formed, and that it was running from St Neots only, all at the same time.

I was being sarcastic with the bit about a driver updating twitter. Its because some of you seemed so worried about them not using twitter.
Now its not good if their website gives 3 or 4 different scenarios for the same train. I did however say it sounded like things could be improved. I never denied that. Live updates: I can understand saying ontime up until departure time, but then it should say 'no info', or something liike that. Things keep changing, and so live updates will not always give you decent accurate info all the time.

It doesnt matter who it is heading to the station. Its plainly obvious what is happening out there if you just look at the tocs website or watch the news. Precise up to date info is not needed, as its well known this could well change. Simple info is whats needed.
You look at website. Dam, problems on line. Right, better call the clients and let them know. We can then decide what the best course of action is.
Its exactly the same if your already on the train. It gets delayed enroute, you dont know until you get delayed. In fact, if your already at home, you have more of an idea already, because you can check the tocs website. One quick look at the website tells me everything. I could be late.

More can be done, yes. Conflicting stories should not be happening, but dont expect precise up todate info all the time. Its annoying if you have a meeting, but you must expect to turn up to the station and find problems.

I would always expect the best info to be found at the station. If you dont want to chance it, well take the advice everyone gives you. Do not travel. The advice is there for all to see.

Oh, and just so you all know. My main problem with all this twitter stuff, is the person who said it should be used instead of text messages. WTF.
Im pretty certain more people have mobiles than are signed up to use twitter.

Anyway, twitter was originally for people who thought the whole world wanted to know about their lives.
Its only recently changed to be more than that. Anyway, its the last place on earth i would want to look.
You say its easy if your already on your way and using your mobile. Perhaps it is, i dont know. However, if your already on your way, whats the point? Perhaps sometimes there is a point to it (if you decide to hop off at the next station and dont go all the way to where your changing trains or whatever), but very rarely.

Last edited:

stut

Established Member
You look at website. Dam, problems on line. Right, better call the clients and let them know. We can then decide what the best course of action is.

No. I look at the website this morning: "we will run a full service today". Great! I look at live updates. "On time". Great!

Yesterday - I look at the website: "we are running two fast trains an hour from St Neots to London". Great! Oh, wait, no.

It's not simple information I need, it's accurate information.

I would always expect the best info to be found at the station. If you dont want to chance it, well take the advice everyone gives you. Do not travel. The advice is there for all to see.

Well, it's not. It's the same lack of information - in fact, the same inaccurate information at the station. In fact, given the mobile site is refusing to redirect you at the moment, you actually have more information at home.

Yes, I can not travel. But if I don't turn up, I don't get paid. And if I don't turn up several times, I lose the contract. So I fully intend to travel, if remotely possible.

Simply saying "oh, it's all up the spout" as an excuse for lack of information isn't acceptable. I don't expect it to be 100% accurate 100% of the time, when it's unpredictable what's going to happen, but the information given over the last few days has been risible - conflicting and inaccurate at best, on websites and at the stations.

FCC have demonstrated just how unreliable they are. And they know that there's no realistic way for many of their customers to get to London, and simply can't be bothered. If there were an alternative, believe me, I would now take it.

junglejames

Established Member
No. I look at the website this morning: "we will run a full service today". Great! I look at live updates. "On time". Great!

Yesterday - I look at the website: "we are running two fast trains an hour from St Neots to London". Great! Oh, wait, no.

It's not simple information I need, it's accurate information.

Well, it's not. It's the same lack of information - in fact, the same inaccurate information at the station. In fact, given the mobile site is refusing to redirect you at the moment, you actually have more information at home.

Yes, I can not travel. But if I don't turn up, I don't get paid. And if I don't turn up several times, I lose the contract. So I fully intend to travel, if remotely possible.

Simply saying "oh, it's all up the spout" as an excuse for lack of information isn't acceptable. I don't expect it to be 100% accurate 100% of the time, when it's unpredictable what's going to happen, but the information given over the last few days has been risible - conflicting and inaccurate at best, on websites and at the stations.

FCC have demonstrated just how unreliable they are. And they know that there's no realistic way for many of their customers to get to London, and simply can't be bothered. If there were an alternative, believe me, I would now take it.

Excuse me. I did say things needed to be improved. I also said wrong information was bad. So if they say everything on time, but it isnt, then thats bad. Ive said that already. What i said, is dont expect precise info.
I know this is not good for a lot of people. It may result in some people being late far too many times and losing contracts. That is unfortunate.
But its life. All you can do is call ahead on the morning, and say 'i could be late'. Its all you can do. Ive had to do it before. Ive had to do it once i got to the station.
Plus if its the case that info isnt getting through to stations, then thats also bad. This should be better.

Some people on here did seem to be acting as if the website should be showing precise info.
I for one wouldnt even need to look at the website. I know i will probably be late before i leave the house. I dont want anymore info than that, unless its something simple like, no trains from so and so station. Buses running instead.
This is what i deem simple info. You make out as if i mean 'incorrect' info when i say 'simple'. But i dont. I mean simple, but obviously truthful.

Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
Oh, and just so you all know. My main problem with all this twitter stuff, is the person who said it should be used instead of text messages. WTF.
Im pretty certain more people have mobiles than are signed up to use twitter.

Anyway, twitter was originally for people who thought the whole world wanted to know about their lives.
Its only recently changed to be more than that. Anyway, its the last place on earth i would want to look.
You say its easy if your already on your way and using your mobile. Perhaps it is, i dont know. However, if your already on your way, whats the point? Perhaps sometimes there is a point to it (if you decide to hop off at the next station and dont go all the way to where your changing trains or whatever), but very rarely.

I doubt Twitter ever knew was it was for, and has evolved as people worked it out. And, FYI, it was around before the celebs jumped onboard - or the BBC and the like realised they could steal news from it and bypass the usual checking procedures (just saying 'a source on Twitter is reporting...'! There are plenty of bad things about Twitter, Facebook etc but that doesn't mean you disregard them as some scary form of new technology that we must all ignore.

I never said Twitter should replace the websites or text (and if I did, it was a typo) because that would be ridiculous!! I've been subscribed to text alerts from the day FCC introduced it - but in recent months, I now get the texts incredibly late nearly all the time (so I am putting the blame on FCC, not my network, as other texts arrive immediately). I can be told my 'watched' train is cancelled an hour after it was cancelled, and I've even had 'the train is now reinstated' messages later in the day, long after it has been and gone.

In other words, the FCC system is totally broken and therefore useless. That has been the case for months, and isn't down to exceptional conditions in recent days. We all know the new CIS system is not fit for purpose in its current state - so it was hardly surprising that it has failed so miserably when put to the ultimate test. And when you switch timetables, you need to remove the old services to stop this duplication and confusion. Many trains aren't stuck or delayed; they've been replaced with another service entirely. That information is KNOWN and can therefore be conveyed to people.

Also, do you think that many people are signed up to the text alert service - which costs FCC money to send? I doubt it, as it's not widely advertised. Twitter is free and they have been advertising it.

Too much info is posted way too late, as if FCC is simply providing a diary for reference to those who are interested. If they haven't got a clue and there's no info out there to give, they may as well say 'Don't travel' and give up.

I used to have the same view as you on Twitter, but you can't be so dismissive - and suggesting that a driver would Tweet updates is crazy (and, sorry, but I don't think you were joking as you then said 'Its because some of you seemed so worried about them not using twitter', and I couldn't care less if they use Twitter or not, although hopefully not when driving a train, and are we likely to start following loads of individual Twitter accounts for drivers?!). I hope to God that more than just a driver knows when a service has been terminated.

Like it or not, social media is becoming incredibly important for businesses now. In fact, I hope that this is what Twitter will eventually be most useful for, not reading what celebrities (or their agents) are supposedly doing, when you can obviously say (and make up) anything you like.

The FCC information has been appalling, just as it has been many times before. Naturally, they'll say they will investigate if anything went wrong with a view to fixing it for next time, but I no longer believe they will. Let's remember that THEY proudly advertised how they were embracing Twitter.. I am sure the posters are still up at stations throughout their network.

And, finally, you can/could use their Twitter service to get personal messages sent via direct messaging on any particular service - duplicating the SMS service but with the advantage that you can pick up the message on any device (or multiple) devices as it effectively comes through as an email, a Tweet and even an SMS (sent via Twitter) if you set it up. It's far more flexible.

Last edited:

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
just out of interest when did you get to kings cross? i was on the same EC service, as my FHT one was cancelled, and got off at grantham, then got the EMT to liverpool changed at nottingham and was in london st pancras by 11:58 ?

I also got back using the 1955 HST service got off at sheffield, where i live, so i didnt have too much trouble

I stayed on to Peterborough because the guard told us that there were problems on EMT. I took the first available train to Ely, missed a FCC to London by 3 mins, waited 20 mins for a Cambridge train, then another 15-20 mins at Cambridge for a London train, finally arriving about 12.15. I did wonder if I would have been better on EMT!

jon0844

Veteran Member
Everything was fine for me on my trip in today (1223 FCC from HAT to KGX on time) but the 1406 from KGX (2C17) has just been cancelled and we've been turfed off. Failed train (not sure what was wrong with the 365 but we were warned about a potential problem about 1400, and he moved the train a few feet before departure to test something). Now on 1436 and hoping it will go!

Update: 1424; the failed 1406 has now left empty - presumably back to the depot. Still showing online as delayed though! As a result, I'm just checking along the line and, of course, it's showing as delayed at all the calling points too - but I know that it has been cancelled. More incorrect information, not.

Update: 1430; now it is showing as cancelled due to a train fault.

And finally, I'm off on the 1436 that left DEAD on time. Given the number of people on this train, it might have been easier to put me in a taxi. :)

Last edited:

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Odds for tomorrow? What are the chances that, if I'm at Peterborough (travelling from Cambridge) by 1247 tomorrow, I'll be able to step on the Highland Chieftain at that time, take my booked seat and subsequently disembark at Stirling some time around twenty past five?

MadCommuter

Odds for tomorrow? What are the chances that, if I'm at Peterborough (travelling from Cambridge) by 1247 tomorrow, I'll be able to step on the Highland Chieftain at that time, take my booked seat and subsequently disembark at Stirling some time around twenty past five?

Is that twenty past five in the evening, or the following morning?

Failed Unit

Established Member
Another day another problem this time signalling between York and Darlington. People must be wondering what they need to do to use ECML at the moment!

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I stayed on to Peterborough because the guard told us that there were problems on EMT. I took the first available train to Ely, missed a FCC to London by 3 mins, waited 20 mins for a Cambridge train, then another 15-20 mins at Cambridge for a London train, finally arriving about 12.15. I did wonder if I would have been better on EMT!

the service to liverpool limestreet was 20 minutes late but got into nottingham in time for the 10:02 slow service to london st pancras found seats easy no overcrowding at all and was in the warm for the next 2 hours and arrived early.

I would say i had alot less hassle, how did you get back?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Is that twenty past five in the evening, or the following morning?

id imagine it will be the following morning :)

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Tried to get the 1322 GC from York to Northallerton. Signal failure at Thirsk. No trains North or south. All through platforms at York had standing trains in at one point.

On EC on platform 5 was terminated and formed into an extra southbound service to Kings Cross (1355) and everyone of that one was squashed onto the Aberdeen HST which had been stood in platform 11 for some time. It was totally rammed! XC were standing in 10, 9 and 3! A TPE was also drawn up onto 10 and terminated and sent back south.

After about an hour bus services were arrnaged and passengers were bussed North to Darlington or Northallerton/Boro.

Aictos

Established Member
For some reason the 22:12 Hertford North to Kings Cross yesterday was being advertised as being cancelled due to a train fault YET despite a successful unit/driver swap and actually leaving in passenger service so I feel sorry for any passengers along the line turning up and seeing it as cancelled only to then see the train trundle onto London and just missing it.

That just ain't good enough for me and certainly not good enough for FCC passengers as it's not much to ask for accurate information, I mean the train may well have been cancelled which it was BUT if it's being reinstated then it's common sense to get that information out isn't it?

jon0844

Veteran Member
At 1918 I received a text message saying;

'OLD to HAT on your route: 17:55 will be delayed after leaving by about 20 mins - a delay on a previous journey.'

Very useful!

will1337

Was due to take the 15:54 YRK-KGX today but it was cancelled so took a very late running 12:32 which made extra stops at Newark NG and Grantham. Every other train from York was cancelled and the boards were full of trains which should have arrived a few hours ago.

Arrived at KGX about 3 hours down but at similar to original due time.

amcluesent

Things are starting to get fractious at KGX this evening. Some significant delays on the EC but FCC looks OK.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Things are starting to get fractious at KGX this evening. Some significant delays on the EC but FCC looks OK.

With the inaccuracy of the information, all the advice about checking before you head off is wrong; you actually have no choice but to go out and to your station and then see what's really happening.

I am travelling from Heathrow on the 27th. I am told to check the BAA website and the airline, but given how things have been throughout the airline and rail industry, am I to trust the information?!

Skimble19

Established Member
I must say, if ever there was anyone that came across more against embracing improving communications between companies (in this case the TOCs) and their customers using new technologies (e.g. twitter) it would be junglejames.. you're not Neal Lawson (MD of FCC) in disguise by any chance are you? :roll:

At the end of the day, it's not just the customers that think the information is unacceptable, it's the staff too, and they're the one's who bear the brunt of it when they get passengers angry that the FCC website says one thing, live departure boards say something else, national rail thinks everything is jolly fine, twitter hasn't got a clue as it's busy sprouting off about faults at Alexandra Palace and the CIS screens at stations are busy telling you to go to wagn.co.uk or showing windows error messages!

Perhaps if you were an FCC customer who had to regularly experience this (because it doesn't just happen when it snows, it's fairly regular) you would understand why so many people are so frustrated about it.. ;)

To everyone else: sorry about the rant.

turbo mick

One of my mates travelled from edinburgh to york on a electric and said between edinburgh and berwick had to coast with the pantograph down for 1 mile because of damaged wires then spent 2hr 30 mins north of northalaton because of a power failure in york iecc

junglejames

Established Member
Eh, how many times. I admitted things sounded like they could be better. I admitted staff should know more. I admitted websites should not come up with crap, and should have truthful, but simple info.
Im not against improving communications at all. I never said that once. I just said i dont expect perfect info all the time beforehand, and I would head to a station knowing what to expect.
As for twitter. It wouldnt bother me if no company ever used it. I see very little point. Concentrate on your website.

Now for heavens sake. Stop coming out with all the wrong things on FCCs website. Ive admitted things should be better. Its just some of you seemed to want 100% accurate precise info, and expected them to use twitter before other means.

Nope, im not the MD of FCC. Youd know if i was because youd be seeing 47s on passenger trains between London, Cambridge and Peterborough by now!

Mainliner

It was OK at 1815 when I got on the 1800 to Glasgow (or Edinburgh, depending on whether you believed the KX departure board, the door stickers, the online departure board or the guard :roll:).

Just left Doncaster, 36 mins late.

Aictos

Established Member

QA, QB, QC and QD simply means to queue behind A, B, C and D etc...

It's nothing to do with platforms at all but a way to assist with crowding.

Nope, im not the MD of FCC. Youd know if i was because youd be seeing 47s on passenger trains between London, Cambridge and Peterborough by now!

Mmm while I would like to do the same but limit them to the Peterboroughs as it would help the East Coasts to and from London by having the Peterborough passengers on a similar express service meaning more seats for passengers who actually want to go further then Peterborough on the East Coast services, I don't know the frequency of the parly trains that used to run but a hourly service between London and Peterborough might help.

Firestarter

@jonmorris0844
On the TL route, all trains are meant to be 8-car and they've declassified first class. I am not so sure they can all run as 8 car on FCC as some stations can't take them,

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this, are you talking about passenger volume or the length of platforms because all platforms on the TL route can handle 8 car trains.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Perhaps if you were an FCC customer who had to regularly experience this (because it doesn't just happen when it snows, it's fairly regular) you would understand why so many people are so frustrated about it.. ;)

Especially on a day that I just handed over £3500 on my ticket for next year, a year where I've got to experience this new provision of information every single day until FCC sorts it out!

You know what's even more stupid? They haven't even arranged to keep the wagn.co.uk domain active to redirect you to the FCC website!! I can accept that the wagn.co.uk on the screens is hard coded on the screen itself (it's the default for when the connection is lost) and may cost money to change, but at least make the old domain work. Is there anyone IT minded within First Group?

Couldn't they have liaised with National Express to ensure they took it over?

And why are so many screens now disconnected permanently (not turned off, just sitting there with no data to display)? The one at Hatfield hasn't worked in a month, so when the station building is closed after 8pm there's no screen and no audio. In other words, ZERO information to anyone going to London. Shouldn't someone be trying to restore the connection one day?

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

@jonmorris0844 I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this, are you talking about passenger volume or the length of platforms because all platforms on the TL route can handle 8 car trains.

Typo, I meant "I am not so sure they can all run as 8 car on GN as some stations can't take them".

I've been typing FCC far too much these last few days. :)

Seems they've solved this by the post from ajax103; running 8-car trains part of the route, met with 4-car shuttles further out. Now why didn't I think of that!!

(And they're declassifying first class in the evening peak too on GN)

Last edited:

Aictos

Established Member
A 8 car can stop at say Hertford by the driver only releasing the doors on the unit at the London end with a 365 or with a 317 have the unit at the Stevenage end locked out of use.

Red Dragon

I'm travelling tomorrow lunchtime (Thursday 23rd) from Kings Cross (KGX) to Leeds (LDS) - with a reservation on the 12.10 and I see the 11.35 KGX to LDS will not run. Assuming this info is correct the 12.10 train will be heavily loaded.
Any views on whether the 12.10 seat reservations will be put out, or should I head straight for the buffet area, as I'm in standard class. Also I can't get a fix on which platform this train will depart from, so has anyone any idea which incoming train will form the 12.10 from KGX to LDS. I can then get a 10 yard start on the opposition !

jopsuk

Veteran Member
The Chieftain is currently predicted to arrive 214 minutes late tonight. Left Perth 226 late. Seems to have first gone wrong between Peterborough (eight minutes late) and York (122)
Then
Newcastle - 149 late
Edinburgh - 197
Haymarket - 198
Falkirk Grahamston - 200
Stirling - 201
Gleneagles - no report
Perth - 226

As I post, predicted Pitlochry at 2215, 222 min late, but that was ten minutes ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.