• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Coast to hire two Class 90s?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class86Fan

With 91114 broken and another broken Class 91 will East Coast have to hire two Class 90s to cover for them?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ryan125hst

Established Member
91114 broken? Isn't that the one with two pantographs? Do you know whether it is the double pantograph setup that has caused the problem?

ryan125hst

Established Member
They have always got spare sets hidden away somewhere so i doubt it.

East Coast have got 30 Intercity 225 sets, and 31 Class 91's. If what I have read online is correct, they need 27 sets in service every day as there are 27 diagrams. The other three sets will be either undergoing maintainance or spares. They haven't got any spare sets hidden away (I don't think anyway :D).

Yew

Established Member
Yeah, EMT should be able to spare a HST for a limited period. They lent one when the EC set in EMT livery was in the works having new seats and vinyls put on it.

Its a shame MK4's arent HST compatiable, as there are a few extra power cars around :D

ryan125hst

Established Member
Are there enough spare MK3's around to form one or two sets to use with the Class 90's? I know there has been little spare capacity since the Eureka timetable. Could East Coast hire a few MK3 sets to solve the problem?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Its a shame MK4's arent HST compatiable, as there are a few extra power cars around

Personally I'd suggest that the HSTs aren't compatible with Mk4s rather than the other way round
;)

Are there enough spare MK3's around to form one or two sets to use with the Class 90's? Could East Coast hire a few MK3 sets to solve the problem?

If the problem is with the 91s why would you need Mk3s? The Mk4s are perfectly compatible with class 90s.

But in any case, all this ignores one issue that the ECML is a 125mph railway. Running 110mph services in the paths that East Coast has will almost certainly cause issues. Also I'd rather like some sort of source for the information that two 91s have been laid low.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
GNER used to use a 90 on one of the Leeds diagrams regularly- If my memory serves me rightly I think one was even painted into GNER livery at the time, and it ran with a Mk4 set. (though back then there was probably room for a 110mph diagrammed service- not so much now though!). I think the use of 90s ended when 89001 was brought back into use, though may have resumed during the 91 overhauls.

Established Member
ainsworth74 said:
But in any case, all this ignores one issue that the ECML is a 125mph railway. Running 110mph services in the paths that East Coast has will almost certainly cause issues. Also I'd rather like some sort of source for the information that two 91s have been laid low.

I understand a 90 could keep time on the Newark and York services because of their better accelleration compared to a 91 or HST.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
It is a pity the Flying Badger is beyond use now.....

It would avoid the need for retimetabling.

Liam

Established Member
It is a pity the Flying Badger is beyond use now.....

It would avoid the need for retimetabling.

I think if there was a real need for it, it would be in use now. Sadly there isn't.. :(

dk1

Veteran Member
Our class 90 team at Crown Point are doing a fantastic job. Sure they could spare one for a price ;)

D365

Veteran Member
Our class 90 team at Crown Point are doing a fantastic job. Sure they could spare one for a price ;)

There's plenty 90s lying about the network, thank you. Unless you could work some magic to uprate them to 125mph - we miss 89001 :P

Or even better, 140mph. 155mph. Let's give you a real test!

Aictos

Established Member
I do remember a FGW HST being hired to East Coast not too long ago?

Yes this was to cover for the unavailability of a Mk4 set plus 2 Class 91s which were for the week being used on IEP tests between Peterborough and Newark Northgate testing the idea of twin pans being in use at high speeds, I'm led to believe this was a complete success and that came from one of the test drivers :D

At the time, I was dispatching at Stevenage so I made sure I got a chance to act as lead dispatcher and dispatch it - I do remember telling the guard that one of the coaches had lost all lighting and him telling me it was fine 20 mins ago when leaving Kings Cross, :lol:

ryan125hst

Established Member
If the problem is with the 91s why would you need Mk3s? The Mk4s are perfectly compatible with class 90s.

To add more capacity to East Coast's fleet. Quite a few HST digagrams are entirely under the wires. Hiring MK3 sets with Class 90's would solve that issue.

ainsworth74 said:

The Class 90's have better acceleration than the Class 91's. If they put them on the Newark/York services (some of which are currently operated by a HST!), then it shouldn't be much of an issue. Besides, First Capital Connect's Class 317's and 365's have a top speed of 100mph, as do FTPE's Class 185's. And then you've got the 60 and 75mph freights. It can't be too much of an issue, can it?

Liam

Established Member
To add more capacity to East Coast's fleet. Quite a few HST digagrams are entirely under the wires. Hiring MK3 sets with Class 90's would solve that issue.

The Class 90's have better acceleration than the Class 91's. If they put them on the Newark/York services (some of which are currently operated by a HST!), then it shouldn't be much of an issue. Besides, First Capital Connect's Class 317's and 365's have a top speed of 100mph, as do FTPE's Class 185's. And then you've got the 60 and 75mph freights. It can't be too much of an issue, can it?

Also, weren't the Eurostar sets limited to 110, when they were used on the ECML?

ryan125hst

Established Member
Also, weren't the Eurostar sets limited to 110, when they were used on the ECML?

They were, because of problems with the OLE. I think the restriction is only north of Grantham though (but it may have been all of the EMCL* originally)

*Kings Cross to Leeds and York that is. They never went north of York due to gauging problems at Newcastle.

tbtc

Veteran Member
Quite a few HST digagrams are entirely under the wires. Hiring MK3 sets with Class 90's would solve that issue

If 90s were 125mph machines then you'd be right.

As things currently stand, there's one big fleet of EC stock, so a service from Edinburgh/ Newcastle/ York to London may work the next northbound service to West Yorkshire.

You'd need to jig the timetables around a bit to create diagrams where a 90 could perform (i.e. nothing long distance/ high speed).

455driver

Veteran Member
89001 was great at accelerate it didn't matter in the early days that it didn't have top speed of 140mph, because it start to stop with the accelerate would keep it on time for any class 91 timing. But with only a line speed of 125mph now that dosen't matter now.

The maximum speed on the ECML has only ever been 125mph in normal service.

Crossforth

Established Member
Speaking of hiring in a HST, when I pulled into Leeds station just before 0650 this morning, there was an EC HST sat in platform 9 with an EMT power car on the front.

And the ECML did used to be a 140mph line and used to use flashing greens to allow drivers to run at this speed. These signals are still in ise but now mean the same as a steady green aspect.

I believe the speed was reduced to 125mph after Hatfield.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Speaking of hiring in a HST, when I pulled into Leeds station just before 0650 this morning, there was an EC HST sat in platform 9 with an EMT power car on the front.

And the ECML did used to be a 140mph line and used to use flashing greens to allow drivers to run at this speed. These signals are still in ise but now mean the same as a steady green aspect.

Nope, only one stretch of the line (the legendary stoke bank) was fitted with operational flash green aspects.

These were only usable in preauthorised runs, but since modifications to signal equipment are expensive they were left in place permenantly.

The relevent authorities later decreed that 125mph was the absolute limit for trackside signals and the experiments were abandoned.

captainbigun

Common misconception. Non-passenger trials were undertaken with flashing greens indicating the extra empty section for 140mph operation. However this method of signalling was deemed unsuitable for 140mph operation. This was in BR days.

Passenger services have never officially run at 140.

Status
Not open for further replies.