• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Coast Trains - Is this still going ahead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
What the rumours? , I don't sub to magazines.
I’m not thinking of magazines at all. There are numerous similar threads about XC in these forums, many of which start by assuming XC‘s fleet of 220/221 are due to be replaced shortly. There’s absolutely no evidence for that...

DB

I’m not thinking of magazines at all. There are numerous similar threads about XC in these forums, many of which start by assuming XC‘s fleet of 220/221 are due to be replaced shortly. There’s absolutely no evidence for that...

Given the economic situation it seems ever more unlikely at the moment! Especially as the WCML 221s and the 222s will be going spare soon.

AMR

On Moderation
Given the economic situation it seems ever more unlikely at the moment! Especially as the WCML 221s and the 222s will be going spare soon.
WCML has 222's? Do you mean voyagers (220) or are there actual 222's on the wcml.

AMR

On Moderation
WCML 221s (as opposed to the existing XC ones) and 'the' 222s (there are only one fleet of them - on the MML).
Wait I'm confused Abellio don't own XC right? Or do you mean just the EMR Voyagers not being owned by XC or they want to buy them?

BayPaul

Established Member
OHHH you are talking about the XC voyagers and 222's as separate entities. I'm a bit thick sometimes.
It's worth saying that there is absolutely no evidence that either of these fleets are going to XC either. There was some speculation when there was announcement of enhanced capacity or similar when the new post franchise arrangements were announced, but it was just the few extra central coaches for the 170s. As that would have been an ideal opportunity to announce that the 221s or 222s were coming, the likelihood is that they aren't, frustrating as it is, with the line clearly needing extra capacity. Frustrating as it is that there is a lot of running under the wires, EMUs really aren't the answer, as splitting the Manchester - Bournemouth service would be very awkward I understand. Bi-modes would be good, but again, no evidence that orders for more 80xs are on the horizon at all :(

DB

It's worth saying that there is absolutely no evidence that either of these fleets are going to XC either. There was some speculation when there was announcement of enhanced capacity or similar when the new post franchise arrangements were announced, but it was just the few extra central coaches for the 170s. As that would have been an ideal opportunity to announce that the 221s or 222s were coming, the likelihood is that they aren't!

No, there isn't any evidence but it has to be likely - they are not versatile fleets, XC does need more stock and splashing the cash at the moment isn't likely!

Nothing would be announced anyway until contracts had been agreed, if it were to happen.

AMR

On Moderation
Most people use XC between Manchester and Reading Anyway on that route. So if they electrified certain bits they could run EMU's which probably cut the journey time by 10-20 mins.

greyman42

Established Member
I saw two of the HT 802s at York last week when I was over there (Monday, I think - early evening) - they were stopped at platform 9 and headed off north. All saloon lights on, but presumably not in passenger service (unless TPE had borrowed them?).
Probably heading for Tyne Yard.

Domh245

Established Member
Most people use XC between Manchester and Reading Anyway on that route. So if they electrified certain bits they could run EMU's which probably cut the journey time by 10-20 mins.

Given voyager acceleration, I would think that even 10 minutes of saving would be tricky (let alone actually finding the paths to save 10 minutes along the route)

AMR

On Moderation
Given voyager acceleration, I would think that even 10 minutes of saving would be tricky (let alone actually finding the paths to save 10 minutes along the route)
Yeah my bad I thought the top speed for 220 were slower then I thought. I thought there was a difference between the top speeds of 220 and 221's but in fact they are the same in that department.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Back on topic...

Yes it’s happening. When covid restrictions are eased, and people are free to travel, I imagine that London - Edinburgh will be a very popular choice of leisure trip.

AMR

On Moderation
NGl I still have my bucket list of trains to go on. I still haven't been on a 195 which are around my area, still yet to go on any of the new TPE fleet. Seen a Class 800 multiple times never got on. I haven't been on an azuma but seen it being tested or transported near Darlington. And any trains that are exclusive to anywhere below London I haven't been on.

Last edited by a moderator:

londonbridge

Established Member
Once things are back to some sort of normality (ie we're allowed to attend again), I'll be interested in the timetable to see whether it provides a viable alternative to LNER/Grand Central for getting to and from Sunderland home games.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
We've also left EU so aren't subject to same rules anymore not that it ever stopped SNCF by what it wanted from French suppliers.
I think you'll find that much the same rules will apply, under the trade deal signed last month.
Both sides will be able to bid for contracts in each other's space, with limits on government subsidies (or protection tariffs may be applied).
It'll be interesting to see how train procurement evolves (when somebody decides new stock is needed).
The HS2 rolling stock contract is probably too far into the procurement process to be changed.
For the forseeable future, EU TSIs (or their UK clones) will also apply.

Last edited:

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
I think you'll find that much the same rules will apply, under the trade deal signed last month.
Both sides will be able to bid for contracts in each other's space, with limits on government subsidies (or protection tariffs may be applied).
It'll be interesting to see how train procurement evolves (when somebody decides new stock is needed).
The HS2 rolling stock contract is probably too far into the procurement process to be changed.
For the forseeable future, EU TSIs (or their UK clones) will also apply.
We are no longer subject OJEU rules although the legislation that governs public procurement still remains as is but govt seeking to amend it. We will voluntarily have to apply WTO Government Procurement Agreement although that seems to allow national interest to override it.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Back on topic...

Yes it’s happening. When covid restrictions are eased, and people are free to travel, I imagine that London - Edinburgh will be a very popular choice of leisure trip.

Agreed, especially from those who are staying in GB rather than going abroad. The fast service is to try and rival the airlines [taking into account city centre to city centre timings]

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Agreed, especially from those who are staying in GB rather than going abroad. The fast service is to try and rival the airlines [taking into account city centre to city centre timings]

It’s going after Easyjet. I’d wait to see the paths before calling it ‘fast’ though. I can’t imagine they have been east to timetable - it’s not like there’s loads of spare capacity on the ECML.

route101

Established Member
NGl I still have my bucket list of trains to go on. I still haven't been on a 195 which are around my area, still yet to go on any of the new TPE fleet. Seen a Class 800 multiple times never got on. I haven't been on an azuma but seen it being tested or transported near Darlington. And any trains that are exclusive to anywhere below London I haven't been on.

How could you avoided a 195 in your area? Do you wait for a 156 OR 150 ?

AMR

On Moderation
How could you avoided a 195 in your area? Do you wait for a 156 OR 150 ?
I live on the Crewe to Manchester line so its 319, 323 and 150 for me. If you know the area you can deduce which 5 stations I can live near.

route101

Established Member
I live on the Crewe to Manchester line so its 319, 323 and 150 for me. If you know the area you can deduce which 5 stations I can live near.

I don't live near ! I'm sure you will try a 195 out at somepoint, I usually make a point or trip to go on new units.

Back on topic, wonder how much cheaper fares will be on East Coast? Advance compulsory reservation perhaps?=

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I don't live near ! I'm sure you will try a 195 out at somepoint, I usually make a point or trip to go on new units.

Back on topic, wonder how much cheaper fares will be on East Coast? Advance compulsory reservation perhaps?=

I believe they are planning on that, i.e. airline style pricing and compulsory reservation, yes. I assume they will still join ORCATS, though, so you could get a reservation with your Anytime or whatever? I recall that there won't be any walk-up dedicated fares, though.

Established Member

£25 is the claimed fare

Status
Not open for further replies.