• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Coast web-only super-off peak singles

Status
Not open for further replies.

cuccir

Established Member
Hello,

This is probably a stupid question, but I'd be reassured by confirmation here: do the super-off peak singles to London that East Coast offer on their website at a discounted price come with the same restriction code (1L) as the full priced super-off peak tickets sold elsewhere?

Cheers
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Scrap that I've answered my own question by finally finding the Ts&Cs- the answer is sort of. The time restrictions are the same, but break of journey is prohibited. Cheers, and mods can delete this if they want, though it might be useful for future reference...

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm not so sure.

NRCoC makes it clear that if there is a break of journey restriction it will be "made clear" in notices & publications. There is no evidence that I can see that it is made clear. In fact, quite the opposite, see:-

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showpost.php?p=726125&postcount=10

But unfortunately the half-price SSS Alnmouth - London Terminals (£55.70 or £36.80 with a Railcard) available from www.eastcoast.co.uk only has the Terms and Conditions:
Terms and Conditions
6. You may not start, break and resume or terminate your journey at any intermediate station. If you do so you will have to pay extra, up to the normal price of the Super Off-Peak Single ticket for that journey.
http://www.eastcoast.co.uk/special-o...nd-conditions/

However, if you go through the booking process to purchase a web only EC Super Off Peak and click on 'terms and conditions' on the 'Journey Details' page you are directed to the ticket validity page for the SSS. https://tickets.eastcoast.co.uk/ec/en/tickettandc/S/SSS.aspx.

And that summary says break of journey is permitted. Unless the ticket restriction for the journey you are making does not permit it. There doesn't appear to be a published ticket restriction code for these web only SSSs. The only published ticket restriction codes I can find for East Coast's SSS are 1L and 9D. Both allow BoJ. If you were to go through the booking process without reference to the special offers (quite possible as the 50% off offer is not prominently displayed, even on the special offers page) at no point would you be made aware that the web only Super Off Peak Singles have additional restrictions. It's a bit disingenuous of East Cost to say that the web only Super Off Peak Singles are 50% off the normal SSS. If there are different restrictions then they are different products. And I bet if you were to call NRE or East Coast and ask what the restrictions were for your Super Off Peak Single, they would, in all likelihood, refer to the restrictions codes. I doubt they'd asked whether you are holding the different reduced product.

No doubt an error made by the people responsible for putting the special offer fares into the system but when there is a difference in published terms, the term most favourable to the customer should prevail. Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts blah blah blah.

cuccir

Established Member
You do make a fair point - if I hadnt gone to extra effort to find these T&Cs, which meant selecting special offers, and clicking on the drop down.box to find this offer, then I wouldn't have found these extra conditions. It's unlikely that it would be reasonable to expect a customer to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.