• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Coast Website Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

mralexn

Is anyone else having problems with the East Coast website?

For me this is what is happening, I go to load the page and everything loads up fine apart form the box where you fill in your travel information to book tickets.

I have tried it on 2 different computers in and in 3 different browsers (Chrome Safari and Opera)

Anyone got any ideas as to what is going on or a work around so I can actually book the tickets I want?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Zedcars

Hi Mralexn,

I am having exactly the same problems as you. I registered here specifically because of this problem!

I wonder - are you using a Mac computer?

I've tried with 2 different Macs both running Mountain Lion 10.8.5 and I cannot purchase tickets using either. I go to the Eastcoast trains website and, as you say, it loads fine except - no lefthand box to purchase tickets. I thought at first that the redesign had hidden the ticket purchasing somewhere else but I just couldn't find it. So instead I clicked on a "Buy" link in an email from them (not normally something I'd feel comfortable doing in case it was a phishing email) and the page refused to load.

Next I tried going into my Purchase History - again - refuses to load.

Like you, I've tried other browsers - Safari, Chrome, and Firefox. Nothing works.

However, when I tried a Windows 7 laptop it worked fine.

So, what is this - some kind of Apple Mac conspiracy to stop us from travelling on your trains?! Please sort this out Eastcoast.

I'm glad it's not just me that has this problem.

It's been like this for me since Wednesday 2nd October. I don't have any problems with other websites.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Pasted the wrong link. :oops:

This is what I was meant to link to.

No, that link will not work - refuses to load. It says the "server isn't responding". :cry:
I think I'll email them about this - very frustrating. Aren't web designers supposed to test their websites on multiple systems before they roll them out? Sheesh!
I just tried the mobile site on my desktop Mac and it appears to work - not ideal though. Still, at least that's a work around for now.

If you go to their website and scroll to the bottom then click on the link that says "View Mobile Site" it should work.

Last edited:

mralexn

Zedcars

Yes I am using a Mac, so it's interesting to see how this problem is only happening on Mac computers.

I think maybe there is a big conspiracy going on here ;)

Zedcars

Last edited:

Murph

Really? Well that's strange. I'm using Safari 6.0.5 too. :-?

Maybe it's a certain combination of hardware/software?

My router is a Netgear n300 and my Macs are a 2011 Mac Mini server and a 2001 Macbook Air. I'm going to try repairing disk permissions and see if that helps.

My guess is that it's either something networky, or browser state. The former is a pretty huge can of worms. The latter should be able to be fixed by clearing browser cache and deleting the "eastcost.co.uk" cookie.

mralexn

I think it is something networky, as I am now running it in bootcamp, and the east coast website is at a crawl all of the time,

Zedcars

I've just cleared my browser cache, deleted the east coast cookie and restarted Safari - it still won't load.

What's weird is I have Parallels Desktop installed and so can use multiple OS's on 1 computer. I tried with both Mac OSX 10.6.8 and Windows XP Pro SP3 - still cannot load it.

So it sounds like something is blocking that website.

I do have Little Snitch installed which blocks connections - but I disabled that and it has no affect on the problem.

On the Windows XP OS running inside Parallels, the left hand pane which should display the booking panel it says "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" with a "Diagnose Connection Problems" button.

Zedcars

It just loaded this on my Mac (screenshot attached).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2.jpg
    Screen Shot 2.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 30

Zedcars

This is what I see on my Windows XP OS in Parallels:

Attachments

• Screen Shot.jpg
    Screen Shot.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 24

Zedcars

I think it is something networky, as I am now running it in bootcamp, and the east coast website is at a crawl all of the time,

Yeah, sounds like it.

What router are you using?
My guess is that it's either something networky, or browser state. The former is a pretty huge can of worms. The latter should be able to be fixed by clearing browser cache and deleting the "eastcost.co.uk" cookie.

Well the worms have escaped said can and are making a right mess in my house! The latter hasn't fixed it.
Please can you test the mobile version on your Mac as I suggested earlier?
It doesn't make any sense though. Why would I be able to load the webpage on a separate Windows 7 laptop, AND be able to buy tickets by using the mobile version on my Mac if the problem is with the router?
So I flushed my DNS cache, and I changed my DNS to OpenDNS - still no joy.

I'm going to have to give up now - I've wasted too much time on this problem. :(

Last edited:

rebmcr

Established Member
It just loaded this on my Mac (screenshot attached).

It's not loading the CSS file there.

This is what I see on my Windows XP OS in Parallels:

And here it's not loading the iFrame.

Looks like there's an intermittent problem with loading content. The page loads fine, but some of the counterparts don't. This makes me think it's an issue with some of the routers along the path between you and the eastcoast.co.uk servers.

The fact that it's happening on two Macs makes me think it'll be a weird bug with the packets or frames being slightly different, but only on one of a load-balancer's branches.

Not much you can do really as it's impossible to tell what link in the chain is faulty; East Coast, your ISPs, or any of the myriad of companies in-between. Hopefully it'll get sorted soon.

Last edited:

Stats

Not just a Mac issue. I get the same problems with the desktop site on Android 4.1.1

trainophile

Established Member
East Coast Trains ‏@eastcoastuk 22m

Really sorry if you are experiencing problems with our website. Our web team are working hard to get this resolved.

Just tweeted.

Status
Not open for further replies.