• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Croydon chaotic and dangerous

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

infobleep

Veteran Member
Well platform 1 and 2 thus morning had no times at all interested eh small departure boards. Just a welcome to East Croydon message. Given they are hard to read, perhaps it makes no difference.

Here is a selection of photos from platform 1 at about the point I got off my first train today. Note the very faded yellow line. I guess if you do t wish to stand behind the yellow line just find a point here no line exists. At least the white line isn't as faded.

Those white lines were introduced back in around 1947 as I have a Southern server weather warning booklet that makes reference to them.

801ca09baefc4b3565257b03b7c6f37d.jpg

749c863d82042b774a430f96242adaca.jpg

6ccf37a669a271d704d5ccb57088b86a.jpg

29818e9490a18e1efe89072a6cd996c4.jpg

d82b3eed1e0f1fa5051f61b18c01c205.jpg

805f788b36bf64afce668c847d14f25c.jpg

physics34

Established Member
The footbridge has been a PR disaster and itself is no-where near as convenient as the underpass. Some very bad decisions have been made. First blocking a perfectly usable underpass to use as foundations for the bridge. imagine the ease of flow if they had left the underpass in place as well.

basically the stairs face the wrong way... unless they change the stop car marks...

the stairs dont get swept, the glass doesnt get cleaned, the borders of the stairs are white..who in their right mind would pick white as a colour for this...., the CIS boards on the footbridge are too high.... the lifts inside walls are dirty, the tiles are slippery as mentioned, WHSmiths are awful, whats the yellow on the footbridge supports all about?.... the list is endless ;)

Around 17:34 yesterday, the signs on platforms 5/6 had this. The times were totally wrong!

You must have missed me by approx 10 mins!

At 17.15 there were no notice boards working, and staff were being hounded by everyone as a result. No staff in the enquiries office on platform 1/2 to give any assistance.

The station is a disgrace for one used so heavily.

Minstral25

Established Member
At Redhill one is not told anything, as the staff melt into the shadows at any sign of complaint, and if we were, it certainly wouldn't be about alternative transport! At Betchworth the 'peak' service is hourly while off-peak is two hourly. So the morning peak service is 0713, 0819, 0919 and the evening peak return is 1632, 1743 and 1843. The staff at Redhill are so blinkered that they seem to be utterly unaware of other trains that are actually disgorging passengers across the 'up' island platform, and continue to see their train off even as those passengers have their fingers on the door buttons, rather than wait the 15 seconds it would take to catch the train! As Southern's corporate motto has it - "taking service to the next level" - but not upwards!

Have to disagree - generally the staff at Redhill are helpful and accessible, especially in the office on Platform 1/2. Also I have noticed when arriving on PLatform 3 now there is almost always an announcement where to go for next Reigate/Guildford or Tonbridge train (although if it has just left I guess that won't help)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Well platform 1 and 2 thus morning had no times at all interested eh small departure boards. Just a welcome to East Croydon message. Given they are hard to read, perhaps it makes no difference.

Here is a selection of photos from platform 1 at about the point I got off my first train today. Note the very faded yellow line. I guess if you do t wish to stand behind the yellow line just find a point here no line exists. At least the white line isn't as faded.

Those white lines were introduced back in around 1947 as I have a Southern server weather warning booklet that makes reference to them.

Thanks for pictures reminding me of my daily nightmare. You are lucky station looks half empty as when I go through most platforms are 3/4 deep in patronage.

Amazing though there has been no visible change on the platforms since around October last year

talldave

Established Member
So is someone paying for nothing to happen? Or is there nobody to pay because nothing is happening? Does anyone "official" care? The place is a dump and has been for months? Isn't there an enthusiastic new MP to wade in? And have the local press given up on it as a story?

infobleep

Veteran Member
Well I get the impression from TSR that things are happening but only at night.

When South West Trains did their rewriting of station they put up posters at stations and online staying when it was happening and for how long etc.

I've not been around East Croydon station but I get the impression there are none.

Clip

Established Member
On Wednesday around dinner time(thatll be lunch to you southerners) platform 3 was allegedly closed according to the CIS.

anyone know why?

tsr

Established Member
On Wednesday around dinner time(thatll be lunch to you southerners) platform 3 was allegedly closed according to the CIS.

anyone know why?

Signalling problems were under investigation. I believe a track circuit was showing as occupied in error, but I can't confirm if that was the sole issue.

Minstral25

Established Member
Finally got to the Southern end of the platform to see the fenestrations and they are very annoying. If you are waiting for a 12 coach train to come in at the front of platform 6, you can no longer see platform 5 because of the stupid fenestrations and of course there are no PIS working or visible. So if your train is changed platforms at the last minute you will be left all alone - really silly idea.

Oh - and now everyone runs down the ramp as they can't see if their train is in the platform! So that didn't work

RichJF

I tried tweeting & contacting Southern by other means last night. This was about the disgusting state of the station & when the rebuild will be finished but got nothing as usual.

Since I've been at Croydon after the fenestrations have been applied, everyone sprints for every train. There's always a massive pile-up at the bottom of the ramp!

redbutton

I read somewhere that work had to be stopped a while back for health and safety after a worker fell through the ceiling of one of the waiting rooms. I don't think it ever really got going again after that.

Personally, (and I must emphasize that this is only my personal opinion) I think the whole project has become an omnishambles that nobody is willing to spend the money to put right. Just the kind of hand-wringing and finger-pointing typical of "modern" British infrastructure projects.

Minstral25

Established Member
Personally, (and I must emphasize that this is only my personal opinion) I think the whole project has become an omnishambles that nobody is willing to spend the money to put right. Just the kind of hand-wringing and finger-pointing typical of "modern" British infrastructure projects.

That sounds about right to me! Personal opinion too.

I think they should have made ECR a 8 platform station at the same time to save costs on preliminaries and improve passenger connections.

tsr

Established Member
Since I've been at Croydon after the fenestrations have been applied, everyone sprints for every train. There's always a massive pile-up at the bottom of the ramp!

Funnily enough I have observed that there are sometimes a lot more people waiting for trains on the platforms now, often by the ramps, but I have only seen a fraction of the people running against the number who used to do so.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I tried tweeting & contacting Southern by other means last night. This was about the disgusting state of the station & when the rebuild will be finished but got nothing as usual.

It occurs to me that as the formal merger with Thameslink look place a few days ago they might now only be using the GTR Twitter feed? I need to check that myself... I CC'd Southern in on a particularly good photo the other day - now I'm thinking that I might have CC'd an old feed.

As I predicted a page or two ago... Those window coverings are a safety hazard.

tsr

Established Member
It occurs to me that as the formal merger with Thameslink look place a few days ago they might now only be using the GTR Twitter feed? I need to check that myself... I CC'd Southern in on a particularly good photo the other day - now I'm thinking that I might have CC'd an old feed.

The 4 Twitter accounts for all 4 different GTR brands are currently active and used; however, unfortunately it does seem that a lot of people are going without replies at the moment.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Thanks; that saves me a bit of time looking through them all to see if they're posting on them.

RichJF

Being stuck at Croydon last night waiting for a Redhill TL train rammed home how disgusting this station is atm.

What's more the staff seem genuinely hacked off that confused passengers ask for help.
A 442 Brighton train turned into a Gatwick terminator, a woman looked troubled asked the dispatcher why & he went "because it is". Not exactly helpful.
A number also leave the mini desk open & unlocked on platforms 3/4 with all the computers inside!

Deepgreen

Established Member
I expect the staff are as hacked off at the state of the place as passengers are. It's actually quite surprising how little media fuss has been made about it given the importance of the station. It must be difficult to see trains away while being asked questions by passengers but there is no excuse for the reply stated!

physics34

Established Member
Being stuck at Croydon last night waiting for a Redhill TL train rammed home how disgusting this station is atm.

What's more the staff seem genuinely hacked off that confused passengers ask for help.
A 442 Brighton train turned into a Gatwick terminator, a woman looked troubled asked the dispatcher why & he went "because it is". Not exactly helpful.
A number also leave the mini desk open & unlocked on platforms 3/4 with all the computers inside!

Because the platform staff at east croydon are paid the lowest pay grade you are not gonna get high quality staff.

In my opinion East Croydon should almost be Southerns "benchmark" or "show piece" and therefore should have better staff paid slightly more. There are good quality helpful staff at other stations who should tempted and almost proud to be lured to work at east croydon.. (staff at purley for example).

Also, they do get extreme abuse when things go wrong.. it is pretty disgusting so i just think they are of such low morale that they do not care anymore.

The lack of displays etc is a joke.

talldave

Established Member
I expect the staff are as hacked off at the state of the place as passengers are. It's actually quite surprising how little media fuss has been made about it given the importance of the station. It must be difficult to see trains away while being asked questions by passengers but there is no excuse for the reply stated!

..especially when they see how much money is being splashed around at London Bridge.

GodAtum

On Moderation
As a regular user of this station I find that the obstacles on the platform are dangerous as it creates a crush when people disembark.

Being cynical it also seems that the newly frosted windows on the platform ramps are there to stop people from seeing their train, so they dont run.

NSEFAN

Established Member
GodAtum said:
Being cynical it also seems that the newly frosted windows on the platform ramps are there to stop people from seeing their train, so they dont run.
That is the intention. It's not a bad thing if it stops people from getting themselves hurt. Sometimes crowd management is subtle like that.

That said, I see people waiting for ex-Uckfield trains at the London-end of the platforms, only having to run all the way back when it finally stops at the country end! Perhaps there needs to be targeted announcements for shorter trains, telling people at the wrong end to move along?

Deepgreen

Established Member
That is the intention. It's not a bad thing if it stops people from getting themselves hurt. Sometimes crowd management is subtle like that.

That said, I see people waiting for ex-Uckfield trains at the London-end of the platforms, only having to run all the way back when it finally stops at the country end! Perhaps there needs to be targeted announcements for shorter trains, telling people at the wrong end to move along?

However, it is having the opposite effect - as people can no longer see if their train is in, they run just in case. Ugly and ineffective - excellent!

BingBong50

However, it is having the opposite effect - as people can no longer see if their train is in, they run just in case. Ugly and ineffective - excellent!

The frosted glass on the ramps may or may not have the intended result of stopping people running for trains. What it certainly does do is make the ramps feel very gloomy and claustrophobic especially during busy times.

When eventually the roofs on the platform canopies are complete and the scaffolding removed maybe the platforms will look nice and bright and welcoming but the ramps down to them certainly won't.

When you compare the relative speed at which the very complex work is being carried out at London Bridge compared with what I would have thought was a relatively straightforward job at East Croydon it is baffling that it is taking so long.

Deepgreen

Established Member
The frosted glass on the ramps may or may not have the intended result of stopping people running for trains. What it certainly does do is make the ramps feel very gloomy and claustrophobic especially during busy times.

When eventually the roofs on the platform canopies are complete and the scaffolding removed maybe the platforms will look nice and bright and welcoming but the ramps down to them certainly won't.

When you compare the relative speed at which the very complex work is being carried out at London Bridge compared with what I would have thought was a relatively straightforward job at East Croydon it is baffling that it is taking so long.

Agree entirely - and, it's baffling that the re-paved areas of the platforms have not had their tactile elements incorporated in the works. To do so will now entail further platform re-paving, or the surface application of tactiles, which will introduce a trip hazard and will not be so robust. It all gives the impression that the works are being made up as they go along.

GodAtum

On Moderation
i agree, the ramp is now very ugly. Clear glass would have been so much better.

infobleep

Veteran Member
i agree, the ramp is now very ugly. Clear glass would have been so much better.
But if the glass was clear then wouldn't people run and it was the intention to avoid that.

Personally if changing trains there I tend to use the other footbridge. If my train is late in and I need to use another platform island then I'll run in order to make my connection.

hwl

Established Member
I wonder how long it'll be before the HSE start to take an interest in this?

As soon as anyone who understands game theory engages their brain...

It will probably reduce some running accidents but introduce new ones instead, it may take a wet winter before there are reliable stats.

The accident rate may of course be reduced just by having the new footbridge so I'm not sure there will ever be a definitive set of stats unless they take the covering off.

Status
Not open for further replies.