• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Croydon - London Bridge train advice on 1st class

Status
Not open for further replies.

GodAtum

On Moderation
Hi all,

I have a couple of choices of trains from East Croydon - London Bridge during the week: 0821, 0825, 0827 or 0829. Can anyone please be kind enough to advise me which one is likely to be the least busy in 1st class and the number of carriages?

0821 is from Gatwick Airport
0825 is from Brighton
0827 is from Southampton Central
0829 is from East Grinstead

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NathanPrior

Are there any first class fares from East Croydon to London Bridge? I would of thought most of them would of been declassified by then or theres no first class fares on the route?

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Are there any first class fares from East Croydon to London Bridge? I would of thought most of them would of been declassified by then or theres no first class fares on the route?

I'm struggling to understand why you would think this. Individual trains might get declassified, but it's a big moneyspinner for Southern and FCC. There are definitely first class fares from East Croydon to London Terminals valid into all South London terminal stations.

As to the OP, I'll have to defer to someone with better local knowledge. The East Grinstead train may well be slightly emptier on arrival at East Croydon, but I'd have thought that all trains will be pretty full on departure.

GodAtum

On Moderation
I have an annual 1st class season ticket anyway. I usually get the 0746 which gets me a seat but I can go into the office a bit later next week :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Anyone have an idea? Is there a way for me to find myself the number of carriages on a train online?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Is there a way for me to find myself the number of carriages on a train online?

I'm not sure there is a way to do that.

You can get in touch with Southern. If you explain the reason behind the request I am sure they are more than willing to inform you how many carriages these services are diagrammed for. Of course this is subject to change but there is not really any other way to find out the information other than to observe in person.

D6975

Established Member
Sometimes, tracing at train backwards gives a clue as to how many coaches it may be.
In this case, the 08:27 isn't from Southampton, it's from Southampton and Bognor, joining at Horsham. That means it will be at least 2 units.

pendolino

At that time of the morning, everything leaving East Croydon for London Bridge will be rammed, 1st class or not.

ert47

Only some of the inner London metro services as far as im aware have declassified 1st class areas - but only it seems when they make the announcement over the PA

Even the stopping services between London Bridge and Caterham (calling at East Croydon) have their 1st classes in place and no announcements to say otherwise during the week (when im on those services)

I don't know why people bother buying 1st clas tickets in the peak. No-one ever checks the tickets on a peak train between East Croydon and London Bridge/Victoria, they can't get through.

ert47

I don't know why people bother buying 1st clas tickets in the peak. No-one ever checks the tickets on a peak train between East Croydon and London Bridge/Victoria, they can't get through.

I've actually been checked a couple of times way back when I had a zone 1-4 paper travelcard and missed the fast train from Norwood and took a detour to East Croydon (zone 5) - Mind you it only seemed to be the service from Uckfield where the checks happened.

GodAtum

On Moderation
Just an update for anyone's info: I got on the 0821 in the 8th carriage but all the 1st class seats were yaken so I got off and got the 0827 which was a GatEx train. Plenty of seat in the 8th carriage 1st class :)

Status
Not open for further replies.