• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Croydon overbridge gateline not really 'No Entry'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Railcar

For over a year now, the overbridge at the north end of the East Croydon platforms has had a notice at the foot of the stairs saying 'No Entry'. Initially it was to provide a covid-safe one-way system ie you could only exit from the bridge.

Although things have eased up a bit, the notice is still there and the gateline is still set for exit-only. The reason, I was told today, is that the ticket machine at the foot of the stairs is faulty (!). Because people can't buy a ticket there, they mustn't be allowed to enter the station.

But suppose you already have a ticket? Or you have one of the many passes that will open a gate? Ah, well, in that case just ignore the sign and the man at the gateline will, I was told, let you through!

Incidentally, East Croydon gatelines open to Freedom Passes and the like from 0925 rather than the 'official' 0930.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kilopylae

Incidentally, East Croydon gatelines open to Freedom Passes and the like from 0925 rather than the 'official' 0930.
This kind of thing is standard practice to account for the Oyster system clock being a couple of minutes out of whack with station clocks or people's watches.

bubieyehyeh

For over a year now, the overbridge at the north end of the East Croydon platforms has had a notice at the foot of the stairs saying 'No Entry'. Initially it was to provide a covid-safe one-way system ie you could only exit from the bridge.

Although things have eased up a bit, the notice is still there and the gateline is still set for exit-only. The reason, I was told today, is that the ticket machine at the foot of the stairs is faulty (!). Because people can't buy a ticket there, they mustn't be allowed to enter the station.

But suppose you already have a ticket? Or you have one of the many passes that will open a gate? Ah, well, in that case just ignore the sign and the man at the gateline will, I was told, let you through!

There used to be two ticket machines at the top of the stairs (on left after barriers) where I used to regularly collect paper tickets or top-up my oyster. So have they been removed, or is the broken machine downstairs just being used as an excuse.

I've not been travelling to London since March 2020, but I used to regularly use that gate line, to change from paper to oyster, or oyster to oyster (for cheaper gatwick fare). I used to get a few odd looks from the staff when doing a u-turn and coming back through the in-barriers.

island

Veteran Member
This kind of thing is standard practice to account for the Oyster system clock being a couple of minutes out of whack with station clocks or people's watches.
And/or to allow time for people to get to the platform for the first permissible departure.

Status
Not open for further replies.