• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Croydon - Southampton

Status
Not open for further replies.

skizz

Howdy all!

Thank you for your help the last time I was here (some time ago), I have another question I hope you can help with

I'm off to watch Arsenal this weekend and need two day returns from East Croydon to Southampton Central. The standard return fare for this is £30.70. I've found a cheap outward single for £8 from East Croydon direct with Southern but I will be returning after the last Southern train leaves Southampton (around 2130) and the cheapest single back is nearly the price of the return!

Does anyone have any idea of any cheaper tickets I can buy? I don't currently hold any railcard either.

Thanks for any help you can provide guys! :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

skizz

Thanks, that's a great start. Am I being dim or can I not see a network map that it covers? Or is it all Southern trains as long as you travel to/from Southampton? Pretty much sorted there but any idea coming back?

Southern

Cheapest I could find is a Super - Off Peak Day Single at 14.90. There is a 2213 to Littlehampton that connects into a 2340 Brighton service, arriving 0025...only problem is, next train to Croydon isn't until 0350 but you could always check out the night-life in Brighton for a bit.

wintonian

Established Member
You'll be lucky to much on this as the only advance fares going towards London are Southern ones. SWT don't do them any closer than Brockenhurst. But then we wouldn't want to make it too cheap for what I am sure will be a waisted journey. :)

You do have the £25 Brighton to Southampton route not London CDR as an option and is valid via Clpaham Junction, I am assuming you already hold an Oyster card to complete your trip from there.

Have you tied Megatrain yet?

Alternatively you could try Grayhound or National Express

skizz

Cheapest I could find is a Super - Off Peak Day Single at 14.90. There is a 2213 to Littlehampton that connects into a 2340 Brighton service, arriving 0025...only problem is, next train to Croydon isn't until 0350 but you could always check out the night-life in Brighton for a bit.

Having been cheering at football for 4 hours, I think I may as well sleep at the station! Haha
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
You'll be lucky to much on this as the only advance fares going towards London are Southern ones. SWT don't do them any closer than Brockenhurst. But then we wouldn't want to make it too cheap for what I am sure will be a waisted journey. :)

It's a friendly match, I don't see why it would be wasted (unless we lose :))

You do have the £25 Brighton to Southampton route not London CDR as an option and is valid via Clpaham Junction, I am assuming you already hold an Oyster card to complete your trip from there.

Yeah that could work, so its £25 return from Clapham to Southampton? Is that valid on SWT?

Have you tied Megatrain yet?

Had a look, the last megatrain back is at 1955 which is too early :(

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Yeah that could work, so its £25 return from Clapham to Southampton? Is that valid on SWT?

It is.

Brighton - Southampton Central
Route Not Via London
Off-Peak Day Return
£25.00 Restriction B3

This is valid via the Brighton Main Line to Clapham Junction and then the South West Main Line to Southampton.

You are fine to start/finish short at East Croydon.

It is valid on South West Trains services.

wintonian

Established Member
It's a friendly match, I don't see why it would be wasted (unless we lose :))

Must admit I haven't seen the fixtures for next season yet as I have other thing on my mind ATM.

I didn't think about this being valid through East Croydon as well, so just change at Clapham Junc for the 2TPH to Southampton, but check the timetable as it can be quicker to get a train to Basingstoke and then changing onto the Crosscountry service to Bournemouth rather than wait for the next direct train (vices verses as well).

St Marys is a 15/ 20 min walk and is signposted.

skizz

Cheers guys, appreciate the help! Can I book these online or is it best to go to the station to clarify what I want? And can I buy these on the day?

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I would not turn up on the day at East Croydon hoping to buy the Brighton ticket. If the ticket office clerk figures out what you are doing, takes exception and refuses to sell you the ticket, you will be stuffed.

My advice is to either buy a day in advance or purchase online and collect at the station on the day.

Hope you enjoy your day at St Fairy's. :P

skizz

This is the best value for money it's £12.50 , can't see why anyone would pay £25

I think this one is Southern only, the last direct train back to East Croydon is at about quarter past 8 which is halfway through the last match :( plus it will take nearly 3 hours to get back with 2 changes via Southern, and seeing as my Mrs hates football and will not be wanting to wait around after watching three games in a day, I'd rather not risk her wrath - you know what they say, happy life, happy wife :roll: :D

Thanks a lot the rest of you guys, I'll book them online and pick them up the day before. Sorted.

lj9090

Also by booking online you can get a further discount as Southern have an online sale at the moment.. £21.75 if booked on their site.

skizz

Just a quick update - had a brainwave, there are 4 of us in total travelling so we are all going to meet them at Waterloo, get groupsave tickets and pay £18 return each. Not bad!

Status
Not open for further replies.