• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Croydon to Leigh - changing time at Redhill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GodAtum

On Moderation
According to NR, I need to change at Redhill. But it only gives me 3 minutes to change. Is that enough!?

Eg this Saturday: 0728 - 0749, 0752 - 0818

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alistairlees

Established Member
According to NR, I need to change at Redhill. But it only gives me 3 minutes to change. Is that enough!?

Eg this Saturday: 0728 - 0749, 0752 - 0818
Just make sure you’re in coach 2 which is pretty much the best position to go for the underpass and make a connection.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
I would say three minutes isn't enough, as the Tonbridge trains generally depart from the London end of Platform 1. The subway is at the Country end, and it is quite a trek
Obviously you'll have an hour to wait if you cut it fine!

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I have only attempted a 3 minute connection at Redhill once. I arrived on the platform just as the connecting train was pulling out, and had to wait for the next one.

Last edited:

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
If the OP had have got the 0728 Southern service from East Croydon to Reigate last Saturday, this would have arrived at Redhill platform 3 for 0746.

Even the later 0737 Thameslink service from East Croydon to Gatwick Airport on Saturday would have got into Redhill platform 3 for 0752.

Possibly both would have allowed just enough time for the cross platform 0800 Southern service departure from Redhill platform 1 to Tonbridge calling at Leigh (Kent).

Last edited:

GodAtum

On Moderation
Have to go from east Croydon to Penshurt via Redhill on Sunday. Official route is 0727 - 0747, 0750 - 0812. Not sure if I should risk it, as the next train is an hour later.

As a previous member posted, would I need to be in coach 2?

GodAtum

On Moderation
I missed my connection so went home as I didn't want to wait an hour.

infobleep

Veteran Member
I missed my connection so went home as I didn't want to wait an hour.
Did you out in a clam at all?

Should have caught the earlier train. Told you three minutes isn't enough!
I wonder if anyone has asked Govia Thameslink to increase the minimum time.

I mean you have the situation where 3 minutes isn't enough at Redhill but it's considered an official connection time, yet at Gatwick Airport you have 10 minutes between Southern branded trains at Great Western Railway, which I think is too long, especially given Southern to Southern is only 5 minutes at Gatwick Airport. I haven't raised this issue with them though. I did raise another one in a South Western Railway consultation once but that is history now.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I wonder if anyone has asked Govia Thameslink to increase the minimum time.
It would save GTR money if this was done, as it would decrease the number of Delay Repay claims.

Would passengers make a request to extend booked journey times and reduce their ability to claim for delays? Not many I expect.

infobleep

Veteran Member
It would save GTR money if this was done, as it would decrease the number of Delay Repay claims.

Would passengers make a request to extend booked journey times and reduce their ability to claim for delays? Not many I expect.
If all they do is abandon their journey then I can see why they might mention it

If however they are happy to use the hour to do some things in Redhill on route then id agree with you.

35B

Established Member

Perhaps the interchange time needs to reflect what a reasonable person actually needs to make a connection at that station? And, yes, that does also mean considering the timetables and the connections offered? Was it revisited when platform 4 was added?

I'd be pretty peeved if I was offered a journey that was in reality impossible because it relied on a tight connection to make - it shouldn't be about Delay Repay compensation, but my basic ability to make the journey.

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I'm also pretty sure the average passenger would rather have an undisrupted journey than a few pounds of Delay Repay.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Perhaps the interchange time needs to reflect what a reasonable person actually needs to make a connection at that station? And, yes, that does also mean considering the timetables and the connections offered? Was it revisited when platform 4 was added?

I'd be pretty peeved if I was offered a journey that was in reality impossible because it relied on a tight connection to make - it shouldn't be about Delay Repay compensation, but my basic ability to make the journey.
If you are suggesting the timetable itself is redrawn to make connections robust, that's a whole new topic!

I'm happy to have that discussion and will probably agree with you but it belongs in a new thread.

I'm also pretty sure the average passenger would rather have an undisrupted journey than a few pounds of Delay Repay.
The UK does not believe in maintaining connections; I agree we should be more like the European continent, but it's a discussion for a new thread.

35B

Established Member
If you are suggesting the timetable itself is redrawn to make connections robust, that's a whole new topic!

I'm happy to have that discussion and will probably agree with you but it belongs in a new thread.

The UK does not believe in maintaining connections; I agree we should be more like the European continent, but it's a discussion for a new thread.
I'm suggesting that adjusting the required connection time following a change to the station is not just a question of Delay Repay, and may be in customers' interest AND may reduce Delay Repay payouts by the operator(s) involved. If x minutes is insufficient for the average person to make a connection, then x needs to be changed.

I agree that there is then a wider conversation to be had about other changes that might also be desirable in addition to that connection time allowance.

GodAtum

On Moderation
I did not get a delay replay but reported the short connection time to GTR, citing this forum's advice. Let's see if it changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.