• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Grinstead over-running engineering work

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammerwood

Any ideas why engineering works have over-run at East Grinstead since Sunday. Platform 2 is unusable as a consequence.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
This is literally all I can find: http://www.twitlonger.com/show/h4jb36

I don't know what Southern are having to pull off, but I'm imagining some very tight turnarounds in the AM peak... It's not bad considering.

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
The first four East Grinstead services had to start at Lingfield today due to yet more "over-running engineering work". This has been going on for quite a while now... Can anyone shed any light on what exactly has gone wrong and why on Earth it is taking so long to fix?

ushawk

Established Member
3 days to finish some weekend work does seem a while, what were they even doing in the first place ?

Class377/5

Established Member
The work is sorta finished but not suitable for trains. Isn't there a failed engineering train on platform 1 not helping the situation.

railinsider

It was due to the ballast not being replaced after the weekend engineering works, hence leaving platform 2 out of use for a few days (Three days, I seem to recall...).

It didn't cause too much grief, just meant we couldn't berth any stock in East Grinstead sidings. Led to some variations, but all longer trains.

The reason for the trains starting from Lingfield was the amount of stock the try to jam down the Grinny line in the peaks, they had to make some room and did this buy turning trains round short of Grinstead.

Cheers,

El Insider.

Status
Not open for further replies.