• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Kilbride/Barrhead electrification updates

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
IIRC it was just about the SPTE reducing the cost to them of the railway, which brought about the demise of the Paisley Canal/Kilmacolm lines, and resulted in DOO.
That sounds right and I don't remember trams being mentioned but as the report is available, just not in my possession, it's easy enough to check.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
The Scottish Government now run Scotrail and still have a massive electrification plan in place. The challenge of East Kilbride has been well known for many years.
Yes Scottish govt have a vision but do they have the cash to deliver it though?

snowball

Established Member
Assuming there is no change to the Barnett consequential payments yes would be the answer. Its a 10 year plan.
Was announced in 2020 and generally described as to be completed in 2035, so a 15-year plan. But if it ends up taking to 2040 it won't be a disaster. It will still be way ahead of England.

Parking and road traffic restrictions are in place around the Nithsdale Road over bridge and the old Strathbungo station. One block of Moray Place is now closed to all vehicles apart from emergency vehicles. There has been some vegetation clearance around the old Strathbungo station.

I suppose that we should appreciate slow progress rather than no progress, but the Scottish Government needs to pick up the pace significantly if it is to achieve the targets it set for 2035.

Darnley Road 13 Apr 2022.jpgStrathbungo Station.jpg

Southsider

Parking and road traffic restrictions are in place around the Nithsdale Road over bridge and the old Strathbungo station. One block of Moray Place is now closed to all vehicles apart from emergency vehicles. There has been some vegetation clearance around the old Strathbungo station.

I suppose that we should appreciate slow progress rather than no progress, but the Scottish Government needs to pick up the pace significantly if it is to achieve the targets it set for 2035.

View attachment 112938View attachment 112939
Going to be some long ‘stovepipes’ on those cantilevers to reach the trains!

JModulo

Makeshift yard/worksite been created near Nitshill station with track access.

What traffic(if any) uses the Larkfield curve? I’m assuming not even any passenger ECS workings go that way?
Yesterday morning, 1H88, an ECS working from Kilmarnock to Edinburgh (British Pullman?) used the Larkfield curve.
Later that night, obfuscated 624T, a petroleum train from Grangemouth to Dalston Terminal also used Larkfield curve.
These were in addition to the ECS reversals at Polmadie mentioned earlier.

GLC

Yesterday morning, 1H88, an ECS working from Kilmarnock to Edinburgh (British Pullman?) used the Larkfield curve.
Later that night, obfuscated 624T, a petroleum train from Grangemouth to Dalston Terminal also used Larkfield curve.
These were in addition to the ECS reversals at Polmadie mentioned earlier.
Thank you
Empty coaching stock to and from Corkerhill and East Kilbride use it Monday to Friday, reversing at Polmadie. Essential for Glasgow Central guards' and Corkerhill drivers' route retention.
Can Terminus curve (I think that’s what it’s called. The single line branch west from the lines parallel Pollokshields East) not be used for such a move? Is the signalling not bi directional there or something?

Christmas

Thank you

Can Terminus curve (I think that’s what it’s called. The single line branch west from the lines parallel Pollokshields East) not be used for such a move? Is the signalling not bi directional there or something?
Yes it can and is used daily but that is entirely dependent on the Muirhouse junctions being open at the same time which isn't always the case. It is indeed bi-directional and wired through to Shields.
The Chord line from Shields, Terminus, Larkfield Curve and the Clydesdales are all used more than people think and will be utilised more by passenger services shortly during the electrification of Strathbungo and bridge works in the same area.

route101

Established Member
Yes it can and is used daily but that is entirely dependent on the Muirhouse junctions being open at the same time which isn't always the case. It is indeed bi-directional and wired through to Shields.
The Chord line from Shields, Terminus, Larkfield Curve and the Clydesdales are all used more than people think and will be utilised more by passenger services shortly during the electrification of Strathbungo and bridge works in the same area.
What diversions are we expecting to see?

Southsider

View attachment 112938View attachment 112939
Passed by here this morning. The booking office / Suzies Store is still standing. Behind the ’footway closed’ sign structures are being constructed which I assume will be used to divert utilities.

Passed by here this morning. The booking office / Suzies Store is still standing. Behind the ’footway closed’ sign structures are being constructed which I assume will be used to divert utilities.
A temporary bridge has been constructed over the railway between Darnley Road and Moray Place to divert utilities away from the existing Nithsdale Road bridge. The existing bridge is closed to vehicles but the northern pavement is still open for pedestrians.
May 2022 Utility diversion cropped.jpg

snowball

Established Member
One of my occasional semi-random web searches has come up with this article, published in the Permanent Way Institution Journal, Jan 2022. It was apparently written earlier, when track doubling to EK was proposed, and doesn't mention any works between Busby Junction and Barrhead. (I think the scheme was originally just EK, with Barrhead added later).

It starts off talking about the whole route from Larkfield Curve to EK, but then restricts itself to discussing the proposed track alignment of a short section from Larkfield Curve southwards.

It proposes track lowering of 339mm under bridge 10 (Victoria Rd) and 787mm under bridge 11 (Pollokshaws Rd). Bridge 13 (Nithsdale Road) is described as requiring redecking with the track to be raised by 390mm underneath to correct the poor vertical alignment.

It would be nice to have similar information about the rest of the route.

Last edited:
Makeshift yard/worksite been created near Nitshill station with track access.
Yes, there are steel piles, masts and booms in this yard. Network Rail notified neighbours that piling would start in April from Kennishead to Barrhead. There are now scores of steel pile foundations driven from just north of Kennishead station to the approach to Barrhead station (although not continuous). No masts have been erected as yet.

Southsider

This article suggests that four trains per hour will be achievable with the new/extended passing loop at Hairmyres. It also confirms that electrification to EK is still in the plan.

"I was delighted to have confirmation at that meeting, however, that there are plans to increase the passing loop at Hairmyres, the advantage being that the improvements would be able to accommodate four trains per hour."

sannox

This article suggests that four trains per hour will be achievable with the new/extended passing loop at Hairmyres. It also confirms that electrification to EK is still in the plan.

Still feels like a missed opportunity not having 2 platforms at East Kilbride to take pressure off Central.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Still feels like a missed opportunity not having 2 platforms at East Kilbride to take pressure off Central.
Given the service is soon to be reduced to hourly all day, bar a sparodic sprinkling of peak extras, I doubt we'll see 4tph for a very long time.

Davester50

Depends on how they electrify the single line. Could be easily added later if things improve and money is available.
It's more the additional spending and disruption to change things again.
Yes, it's not 2015 again, but opening the Borders at capacity should be a lesson.

snowball

Established Member
I'm sure two platforms at EK is still in the plan. Apart from #802 I've never seen any suggestion that it has ever not been in the plan. I don't think even the person who claimed electrification to EK had been dropped ever claimed two platforms at EK had been dropped.

It's more the additional spending and disruption to change things again.
Yes, it's not 2015 again, but opening the Borders at capacity should be a lesson.
Additional spending for electrification of Borders looks likely. However just as in East Kilbride the passenger numbers and any additional services don't need the immediate further investment. The electric trains will have more capacity for passengers and platforms extended for them.

snowball

Established Member
The business case linked in #729 narrowed it down to two options, both including double tracking at EK station.

 Option 1: Full Double Tracking to East Kilbride. EMU services to East Kilbride.
EMU services to Barrhead.
• OLE from Muirhouse Central Junction at Pollokshields to Barrhead
• OLE from Busby Junction to East Kilbride
• Double tracking from Busby to East Kilbride
• Option provides the flexibility to operate 4+ tph on the East Kilbride corridor with
journey times on both corridors reduced by up to 3.5 minutes

 Option 2: No track infrastructure improvements (except for double tracking at East
Kilbride station). EMU services to East Kilbride. EMU services to Barrhead.
• OLE from Muirhouse Central Junction at Pollokshields to Barrhead
• OLE from Busby Junction to East Kilbride
• Double tracking at East Kilbride station.
• Option would not allow for any additional services or journey time improvements on
East Kilbride line due to the single track section constraints

The article linked in #801 suggests the last sentence may be out of date, and four trains per hour may be possible with most of the present single track remaining single.