• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Kilbride/Barrhead electrification updates

route101

Established Member
I can see it’s a shame that it’s not aiming to deliver 4tph to EK all day immediately but as far as I can see the only obstacles to that happening in future will be platform capacity at Central.

The proposed infrastructure on the EK branch ticks all the boxes of what I wanted to see delivered:
Electrification - Yes
Extended 8 x 23m platforms - Yes (though just says extended so exact lengths unclear)
Full doubling Busby - EK - Yes
2nd platform at Thorntonhall - Yes
New station at Hairmyres - Yes

I was hoping we’d get 3-4 of those things but it suggests we’re getting all of them which if true is excellent news.
Hopefully that is what we get. I thought it wasn't going to be a full doubling after all. Or is it.

Id love to see earlier and later services on the line.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Altnabreac

Established Member
Hopefully that is what we get. I thought it wasn't going to be a full doubling after all. Or is it.

Id love to see earlier and later services on the line.
That’s what I’d thought too but the project page has this text:

Double tracking from Busby>East Kilbride, that facilitates a future enhanced timetable with more frequent services

gingertom

Established Member
wondering if the single lead junction at the start of the East Kilbride branch will be doubled. Anyone know if there are plans to do this, or even if it is needed for a resilient timetable?

waverley47

I'm 99% sure the junction has already been done, which is probably for the best as it would add on a large chunk of change if it still needed doubled as part of the scheme.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
wondering if the single lead junction at the start of the East Kilbride branch will be doubled. Anyone know if there are plans to do this, or even if it is needed for a resilient timetable?

I'm 99% sure the junction has already been done, which is probably for the best as it would add on a large chunk of change if it still needed doubled as part of the scheme.

Yes, the junction was doubled some time in the mid-2010s.

clc

Established Member
I can see it’s a shame that it’s not aiming to deliver 4tph to EK all day immediately but as far as I can see the only obstacles to that happening in future will be platform capacity at Central.

The proposed infrastructure on the EK branch ticks all the boxes of what I wanted to see delivered:
Electrification - Yes
Extended 8 x 23m platforms - Yes (though just says extended so exact lengths unclear)
Full doubling Busby - EK - Yes
2nd platform at Thorntonhall - Yes
New station at Hairmyres - Yes

I was hoping we’d get 3-4 of those things but it suggests we’re getting all of them which if true is excellent news.
Confirmation here that platforms will be extended to accommodate the longest 8-car trains:

It also states that timetable changes at Central will be needed.

Whistler40145

Established Member
Will Network Rail be required to provide extra electrical Feeder Stations or does the system have suffi capacity?

clc

Established Member
Will Network Rail be required to provide extra electrical Feeder Stations or does the system have suffi capacity?
The document linked to in my previous post states:
Traction power: it is assumed that if a new feeder stations at Elderslie and Newton will provide the traction power capacity required for these new electric services. These are being delivered through an interfacing power supply upgrade workstream and are outside of the scope of this project.

waverley47

I noticed that the larkfield curve also features in electrification plans for this scheme, which is one of the last connectors that needs done in the Glasgow area.

Good to see future planning for any paths from the Kilmarnock direction onto the WCML, whatever they may end up being.

route101

Established Member
I noticed that the larkfield curve also features in electrification plans for this scheme, which is one of the last connectors that needs done in the Glasgow area.

Good to see future planning for any paths from the Kilmarnock direction onto the WCML, whatever they may end up being.
Noticed that bit of line has had its vegetation cleared, noticed that only one line is really used by the state of track.

Yes, the junction was doubled some time in the mid-2010s.

I only noticed this recently and I'm often on the line.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just a gentle reminder this is an Infrastructure & Stations thread to discuss updates regarding electrification to East Kilbride/Barrhead

If anyone wishes to discuss anything else, please create a new thread (if there isn't one already) in the appropriate section (e.g. Speculative Ideas to discuss what trains may run on the line, or Traction & Rolling Stock to discuss updates regarding what is actually happening in this area)

If anyone wishes to alert the volunteer moderation team to any off topic posts in any given thread, please report the first off topic post, by using the 'Report' link at the bottom of the very first off topic post. Please include in your report, the post numbers of any further off topic posts. New thread title suggestions are also welcome!

Many thanks :)

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

route101

Established Member
I think someone mentioned this, but I think a new station between Hairmyres and East Kilbride. Could take pressure off the other two for parking and closer for people. Most of East Kilbride is not within walking distance of the station.

AMD

I think someone mentioned this, but I think a new station between Hairmyres and East Kilbride. Could take pressure off the other two for parking and closer for people.
I can't remember where the details are, but I think an intervention for Hairmyres is on the cards. Parking locally is an issue with commuter traffic and hospital traffic cogging up the area. https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/publicly-backed-parking-plan-hairmyres-21449441 and a quote from the article -
"However, residents have long complained that commuters using Hairmyres train station were blocking nearby streets.
And added frustration has also been caused as patients and visitors unable to find a space at Hairmyres Hospital have spilled onto nearby streets."

MadMac

I think someone mentioned this, but I think a new station between Hairmyres and East Kilbride. Could take pressure off the other two for parking and closer for people. Most of East Kilbride is not within walking distance of the station.
There was talk some 30+ years ago of a Kirktonholme station, but that was at the time moving East Kilbride station into the town centre was being looked at.

InOban

Established Member
If you read the document linked in #143 you will find that Hairmyres station is to be relocated to a site where a large car park can be provided.

waverley47

Hairmyres has struggled for a long time with poor access anyway, and even poorer parking provision. It serves quite a large area of hinterland around East Kilbride, so moving the station onto the main road at Redwood Drive should help access.

route101

Established Member
There was talk some 30+ years ago of a Kirktonholme station, but that was at the time moving East Kilbride station into the town centre was being looked at.

Yeah, would serve Stewartfield area better, as its a fair walk to East Kilbride station.

East Kilbride could be doing with better bus links to the stations too.

NotATrainspott

Established Member

It's essentially inevitable that most of East Kilbride isn't within walking distance of either station today. Adding another station in between EK and the relocated Hairmyres is almost certainly not going to happen as it would add little residential catchment area within walking distance. The solution for car-free journeys not feasible by active transport (walking or cycling) is probably going to be an enhanced bus service, and that could fairly easy connect to both the two stations.

d9009alycidon

Yeah, would serve Stewartfield area better, as its a fair walk to East Kilbride station.

East Kilbride could be doing with better bus links to the stations too.

I remember this was tried in the late 1960s or early 1970s, there was one from EK to the outlying housing estates and there was another from Kings Park to Castlemilk. Very much doubt if it would work now.

MadMac

I remember this was tried in the late 1960s or early 1970s, there was one from EK to the outlying housing estates and there was another from Kings Park to Castlemilk. Very much doubt if it would work now.
There was an “Interlink” bus service that connected with the morning and evening express services at both East Kilbride and Hairmyres. It was still running into the 1990s.

route101

Established Member
There was an “Interlink” bus service that connected with the morning and evening express services at both East Kilbride and Hairmyres. It was still running into the 1990s.

There is a 399 that runs to and from Hairmyres.

Only an hourly bus runs past East Kilbride Station.

Tormod

There aren't any updates on the project afaik, but a survey has been put up on its website.

route101

Established Member
There aren't any updates on the project afaik, but a survey has been put up on its website.

I filled in the survey. Looks like it will be 2025 until its complete. I mentioned the need for later and earlier services on the line.

Southsider

numtot12345

Hi all, long time lurker and first time post. Enjoy reading up on developments here of the railways in Scotland, so very exciting all the latest announcements re. Decarb and CP6 priorities.

Does anyone know if these latest proposed East Kilbride Enhancements includes double-tracking the remaining sections? If not, will the proposed enhancements be undertaken in such a way that future-proofs/allows for double-tracking to happen? Presumably doing that would allow for maximum flexibility/resilience compared to having single track sections, however appreciate they are probably keen to get as much decarb done in advance of 2035 deadline and within budget limitations.

Aware there was some chat earlier in this thread or another about whether there might double-tracking, but don't think there was a conclusion on that or may have changed with recent updated priorities?

Thanks!

gingertom

Established Member
Hi all, long time lurker and first time post. Enjoy reading up on developments here of the railways in Scotland, so very exciting all the latest announcements re. Decarb and CP6 priorities.

Does anyone know if these latest proposed East Kilbride Enhancements includes double-tracking the remaining sections? If not, will the proposed enhancements be undertaken in such a way that future-proofs/allows for double-tracking to happen? Presumably doing that would allow for maximum flexibility/resilience compared to having single track sections, however appreciate they are probably keen to get as much decarb done in advance of 2035 deadline and within budget limitations.

Aware there was some chat earlier in this thread or another about whether there might double-tracking, but don't think there was a conclusion on that or may have changed with recent updated priorities?

Thanks!
hi and welcome!

The announcement was double tracking throughout, relocated Hairmyres station 600m west of existing, platform extensions to allow 8x23m trains and electrification, 4tph during peaks.