• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Lancs railway wartime weekend gets bad press

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DJ_K666

To be fair, if a German uniform had been seen in this country it would most likely have been airmens' jumpsuits, probably slightly dishevelled from having to eject in a hurry.

Cyberbeagle

Might it not be the case, though, quite legitimately, that Waffen SS units might be part of the spearhead of any offensive? They were after all always in the front line wherever the fighting was thickest. It would be quite legitimate to have them in an authentic scenario.

One thing that does seem frankly silly to me, concerning this general subject, is the way that people are so anxious to emphasise "We insist they no Nazi insignia is displayed", or something to that effect. Does that mean that the swastika in the eagle insignia on uniforms has to be carefully removed? That no authentic 1933-45 era German flags can be displayed? All that is airbrushing history, surely.

Absolutely, if it was a docu-drama, it's not - it's meant to be a fun day out for the family. You have to balance out the historical "re-enactment" with an eye one what is or is not likely to be offensive. You have a duty of care to ensure that people have a good fun time, and don't go away offended needlessly (and I mean needlessly).

I wouldn't ever get re-enactors to ask random visitors to dress up on the day, especially not refugees, but if you want in your publicity to come in 40s gear, then it's their choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.