• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Midlands franchise won by Abellio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pt_mad

Established Member
I'm confused. Don't like what?
I couldn't work out whether you thought the Electrics brand was a good idea or not so good, as you mentioned it may not be of interest unless someone is of an environmental persuasion.

dk1

Veteran Member
I couldn't work out whether you thought the Electrics brand was a good idea or not so good, as you mentioned it may not be of interest unless someone is of an environmental persuasion.
It's quite historical really. BR used to name recently electrified routes in the same way. Great Northern Electrics to Royston springs to mind. I would have thought 'EMT Commuter' a good name but then that sort of puts off leisure/off peak passengers.

hooverboy

On Moderation
The 180s are for the Intercity services.

I suspect EMR electrics is just a marketing ploy really, and why not after the money spent electrifying it and the associated benefits of journey times and capacity?
I think there is quite a valid business case for EMR electrics.much much lower running costs than hst/22x sets,and much more mileage per fault.
at least the corby's are likely to turn up,on time.

cannot realistically be said for the 180's...although they may be slightly more reliable than grand central's old hsts.travel from london to kettering seems like a very nice improvement....anything further north looks a bit dicey.

maybe new EMR needs to throw in an hourly kettering-peterborough/leicester diagram just in case the proverbial everyone expects from 180's does hit the fan
I wouldn't care too much if it's a 156,as long as there is a connection to a hub.

Established Member
I think there is quite a valid business case for EMR electrics.much much lower running costs than hst/22x sets,and much more mileage per fault.
at least the corby's are likely to turn up,on time.

cannot realistically be said for the 180's...although they may be slightly more reliable than grand central's old hsts.travel from london to kettering seems like a very nice improvement....anything further north looks a bit dicey.

maybe new EMR needs to throw in an hourly kettering-peterborough/leicester diagram just in case the proverbial everyone expects from 180's does hit the fan
I wouldn't care too much if it's a 156,as long as there is a connection to a hub.

Yes there is a solid business case for the electric service, we were discussing the brand though.

I think the risk of the 180s is being over exaggerated somewhat, they will run a tiny proportion of services as a consequence of the very fact there will only be four anyway. Contingency measures like extra trains to Peterborough cost money and would be totally unnecessary 99% of the time anyway. The MML is/will be blessed with lots of contingency (4 tracks Kettering North to St Pancras, the Corby route etc) in the event of problems anyway.

pt_mad

Established Member
Yes there is a solid business case for the electric service, we were discussing the brand though.

I think the risk of the 180s is being over exaggerated somewhat, they will run a tiny proportion of services as a consequence of the very fact there will only be four anyway. Contingency measures like extra trains to Peterborough cost money and would be totally unnecessary 99% of the time anyway. The MML is/will be blessed with lots of contingency (4 tracks Kettering North to St Pancras, the Corby route etc) in the event of problems anyway.
Are they likely to run on the Nottingham's with it being a shorter intercity route?

dk1

Veteran Member
Are they likely to run on the Nottingham's with it being a shorter intercity route?
Their operation will be limited to specific diagrams as I would imagine there will only be a small amount of train crew who will sign them.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It's quite historical really. BR used to name recently electrified routes in the same way. Great Northern Electrics to Royston springs to mind. I would have thought 'EMT Commuter' a good name but then that sort of puts off leisure/off peak passengers.

As mentioned I'd go with "EMR Express", it's a nice bit of alliteration and highlights that (a) they're faster than Thameslink, and (b) they're a step below IC, the hierarchy in the UK having traditionally sort of been regional/Sprinter, Express, IC.

londonmidland

Established Member
On the social media side of things, I have noticed since Abellio took over London Midland, there has been a significant lack of information when there is disruption.

Particularly at the weekends.

Take today for example, with significant disruption across their network due to heat related problems, there hasn’t been one tweet or thread created by them. Instead there are individual replies to people’s tweets, simply saying to claim compensation.

East Midlands Trains are generally good at keeping people informed on twitter when there is disruption, but I hope things don’t go downhill once Abellio take over.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
EMR? Do they know that that is the name of a scrap metal company well known for cutting up knackered old trains?

Qwerty133

Established Member
On the social media side of things, I have noticed since Abellio took over London Midland, there has been a significant lack of information when there is disruption.

Particularly at the weekends.

Take today for example, with significant disruption across their network due to heat related problems, there hasn’t been one tweet or thread created by them. Instead there are individual replies to people’s tweets, simply saying to claim compensation.

East Midlands Trains are generally good at keeping people informed on twitter when there is disruption, but I hope things don’t go downhill once Abellio take over.
The issues with lack of useful information on twitter from the west midlands franchisee has been ongoing for a lot longer than Abellio holding the franchise and if anything the service provided now is slightly better than what was the case for the last couple of years of Govia in that Twitter is now manned after mid-afternoon on weekends (albeit quite possibly by third-party contractors based on the lack of useful information available to whoever is manning it).

raetiamann

With a little over one month to go, the silence from EMR is deafening. Not even a holding page online as yet. Are their hands tied until the takeover date?

LowLevel

Established Member
With a little over one month to go, the silence from EMR is deafening. Not even a holding page online as yet. Are their hands tied until the takeover date?

There's an updated FAQ going out to staff every week or so.

Laketop

The franchise name has been added to a Class 156

Dt7nMWi.jpg

geoffk

Established Member
The franchise name has been added to a Class 156
I suppose it's not that important in the scheme of things, but I wonder why franchise names are being changed from "Trains" to "Railway", as also Great Western and South Western. They are not "railway companies" in the sense that the pre-1948 companies were, owning their own permanent way and rolling stock. They are train operators, as the abbreviation TOC implies; they run leased trains and pay another organisation for the right run on its tracks. What do they actually own?

anamyd

On Moderation
Almost 1 week to go now:'(
Wasn’t expecting to see any units with logo application untill after EMR starts
Arriva Trains Wales operated 175-107 in Transport for Wales livery a few weeks before that franchise handover

Killingworth

Established Member
222 004 Children's Hospital Sheffield has had EMR INTERCITY added, although the cleaning must have been the minimum to remove the old branding.

IMG_20190810_160056.jpg

This double 158 unit was half old and half new, caught as it passed. 158863 was leading and unchanged, the following unknown unit EMR REGIONALIMG_20190810_164841.jpg IMG_20190810_164843.jpg .

Last edited:

johnw

I do dislike the use of acronyms as brand names. Of course to 99% of railway enthusiasts know what GWR or LNER stand for but much of the general public will not. The brand is a great marketing tool to sell to the public where the company operates too.

The EMR lettering looks so out of place on Best Impressions brilliant livery.

Killingworth

Established Member
I do dislike the use of acronyms as brand names. Of course to 99% of railway enthusiasts know what GWR or LNER stand for but much of the general public will not. The brand is a great marketing tool to sell to the public where the company operates too.

The EMR lettering looks so out of place on Best Impressions brilliant livery.

It looks a lot smarter on the 156.

Status
Not open for further replies.