East Midlands franchise won by Abellio

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by InTheEastMids, 10 Apr 2019.

1. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

There are other reasons to prefer an EMU over a DMU, not least the significantly lower noise level.

2. absolutelymilk

absolutelymilk Established Member

Plus when someone says what has the new franchise brought in, it's easy to point to the new electric services which are easily identifiable

3. pt_mad

pt_mad Established Member

I couldn't work out whether you thought the Electrics brand was a good idea or not so good, as you mentioned it may not be of interest unless someone is of an environmental persuasion.

4. dk1

dk1 Established Member

It's quite historical really. BR used to name recently electrified routes in the same way. Great Northern Electrics to Royston springs to mind. I would have thought 'EMT Commuter' a good name but then that sort of puts off leisure/off peak passengers.

5. hooverboy

hooverboy Member

I think there is quite a valid business case for EMR electrics.much much lower running costs than hst/22x sets,and much more mileage per fault.
    at least the corby's are likely to turn up,on time.

cannot realistically be said for the 180's...although they may be slightly more reliable than grand central's old hsts.travel from london to kettering seems like a very nice improvement....anything further north looks a bit dicey.

maybe new EMR needs to throw in an hourly kettering-peterborough/leicester diagram just in case the proverbial everyone expects from 180's does hit the fan
    I wouldn't care too much if it's a 156,as long as there is a connection to a hub.

6. 43074

43074 Established Member

Yes there is a solid business case for the electric service, we were discussing the brand though.

I think the risk of the 180s is being over exaggerated somewhat, they will run a tiny proportion of services as a consequence of the very fact there will only be four anyway. Contingency measures like extra trains to Peterborough cost money and would be totally unnecessary 99% of the time anyway. The MML is/will be blessed with lots of contingency (4 tracks Kettering North to St Pancras, the Corby route etc) in the event of problems anyway.

7. pt_mad

Are they likely to run on the Nottingham's with it being a shorter intercity route?

8. dk1

dk1 Established Member

Their operation will be limited to specific diagrams as I would imagine there will only be a small amount of train crew who will sign them.

9. Bletchleyite

As mentioned I'd go with "EMR Express", it's a nice bit of alliteration and highlights that (a) they're faster than Thameslink, and (b) they're a step below IC, the hierarchy in the UK having traditionally sort of been regional/Sprinter, Express, IC.

10. londonmidland

londonmidland Member

On the social media side of things, I have noticed since Abellio took over London Midland, there has been a significant lack of information when there is disruption.

Particularly at the weekends.

Take today for example, with significant disruption across their network due to heat related problems, there hasn’t been one tweet or thread created by them. Instead there are individual replies to people’s tweets, simply saying to claim compensation.

East Midlands Trains are generally good at keeping people informed on twitter when there is disruption, but I hope things don’t go downhill once Abellio take over.

11. lyndhurst25

lyndhurst25 Member

EMR? Do they know that that is the name of a scrap metal company well known for cutting up knackered old trains?

12. Qwerty133

Qwerty133 Established Member

The issues with lack of useful information on twitter from the west midlands franchisee has been ongoing for a lot longer than Abellio holding the franchise and if anything the service provided now is slightly better than what was the case for the last couple of years of Govia in that Twitter is now manned after mid-afternoon on weekends (albeit quite possibly by third-party contractors based on the lack of useful information available to whoever is manning it).

13. Richard Ingram

Richard Ingram Member

I thought it was familiar, I sold them my old hot water cylinder.

14. hwl

hwl Established Member

Shame they won't be running trains to Kingsbury!:lol:

15. raetiamann

raetiamann Member

With a little over one month to go, the silence from EMR is deafening. Not even a holding page online as yet. Are their hands tied until the takeover date?

16. Bletchleyite

Seems to be an Abellio thing. LNR said nowt until very close to the date.

17. LowLevel

LowLevel Established Member

There's an updated FAQ going out to staff every week or so.

18. pt_mad

19. Laketop

Laketop Member

The franchise name has been added to a Class 156

[​IMG]

20. Skimble19

Skimble19 Established Member

Has that unit been recently repainted? Looks extremely clean / shiny..!

21. RealTrains07

RealTrains07 Member

Almost 1 week to go now:'(
    Wasn’t expecting to see any units with logo application untill after EMR starts

22. Laketop

Laketop Member

A clean, likely. It is the 1443 from Matlock Bath and it has broken down in the station. Spoke to the driver, apparently tons of warning lights.

Edit: misread repainted for repair

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C86101/2019/08/11/advanced

Last edited: 11 Aug 2019
  23. geoffk

geoffk Member

I suppose it's not that important in the scheme of things, but I wonder why franchise names are being changed from "Trains" to "Railway", as also Great Western and South Western. They are not "railway companies" in the sense that the pre-1948 companies were, owning their own permanent way and rolling stock. They are train operators, as the abbreviation TOC implies; they run leased trains and pay another organisation for the right run on its tracks. What do they actually own?

24. Andy Pacer

Andy Pacer Member

25. Hairy Bear

Hairy Bear Member

On the 156's, to get the new disabled toilet module in, they cut the body side open, module inserted , weld the body up, then a repaint.

26. Mariner16

Mariner16 Member

Most likely had a C6 refurb and vinyl on exteriors. Look nice but its maintaining it that's a problem

27. anamyd

anamyd Established Member

Arriva Trains Wales operated 175-107 in Transport for Wales livery a few weeks before that franchise handover

28. Killingworth

Killingworth Established Member

222 004 Children's Hospital Sheffield has had EMR INTERCITY added, although the cleaning must have been the minimum to remove the old branding.

IMG_20190810_160056.jpg

This double 158 unit was half old and half new, caught as it passed. 158863 was leading and unchanged, the following unknown unit EMR REGIONAL IMG_20190810_164841.jpg IMG_20190810_164843.jpg .

Last edited: 12 Aug 2019
  29. johnw

johnw Member

I do dislike the use of acronyms as brand names. Of course to 99% of railway enthusiasts know what GWR or LNER stand for but much of the general public will not. The brand is a great marketing tool to sell to the public where the company operates too.

The EMR lettering looks so out of place on Best Impressions brilliant livery.

30. Killingworth

Killingworth Established Member

It looks a lot smarter on the 156.