• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Midlands freight terminal moves forward with new operator

Status
Not open for further replies.

furnessvale

Established Member
"Maritime Transport has been named by Sergo as the operator of a new flagship rail freight interchange in the East Midlands ahead of its construction by the end of 2019.

The company has signed a 25-year lease with Maritime Transport to operate the huge Strategic Rail Freight Interchange (SRFI) at the Logistics Park East Midlands Gateway (SLP-EMG) where Segro will now also base their rail headquarters.

The 22.5-acre rail terminal will be able to handle up to sixteen 775m freight trains daily, and will provide storage capacity equivalent to 45,000 pallets of cargo.

The rail freight interchange is expected into be completed in late 2019, and the accompanying office is expected in the summer of 2020."

http://www.railtechnologymagazine.c...ail-freight-interchange-in-the-east-midlands-

A new railfreight terminal at Castle Donnington is to be operated by Maritime Logistics. It will be capable of handling up to 16 maximum length intermodal trains daily. The terminal will be ready for use later this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

furnessvale

Established Member
The same freight terminal as was pessimistically discussed in the closed thread here:
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/east-midlands-gateway-rail-freight-approved.125606/
The road changes to local roads and the M1 junctions to allow for access the terminal were only completed in the last few months.
The difference being this time that Maritime have signed a 25 year contract to operate the site. Maritime have a proven track record of railfreight use.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The difference being this time that Maritime have signed a 25 year contract to operate the site. Maritime have a proven track record of railfreight use.
Agreed. Much more positive. But your thread title could be read as another “new terminal”...

TheBigD

Established Member
Am I right in thinking that the route via Castle Donnington isn't cleared for the largest containers?

Wavertreelad

On 25 Jan 2019 Maritime Transport Ltd and DB Cargo announced the launch of a new joint venture which involves Martime taking over DB's existing services from Felixstowe and Southampton as well as other major ports.

https://www.maritimetransport.com/n...agreement-to-increase-uk-railfreight-capacity

After reaching agreement in principle with DB Cargo UK, Maritime Transport Ltd. has announced the launch of a new division – “Maritime Intermodal” which will initially contract four dedicated services out of Felixstowe and Southampton.

Maritime is currently Road Haulier of the Year and DB Cargo UK is Rail Freight Operator of the Year. The long-term agreement will enable each organisation to operate to its strengths, driving up service and efficiency which will result in increased intermodal capacity and growth in railfreight.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nottingham59

Established Member
Hope this is the right thread. I saw loaded intermodal wagons moving on the new siding alongside the A50 at J24 of the M1, at around 1230h today. The siding runs from the Castle Donington line to the new SEGRO Logistic Park and EDF Railfreight Terminal. I can't find any corresponding movement on realtraintimes. Can anyone tell me what this train was? Is the terminal in use now? Or would this just have been some sort of test run? Thanks

Last edited:

Freightmaster

Established Member
Hope this is the right thread. I saw loaded intermodal wagons moving on the new siding alongside the A50 at J24 of the M1, at around 1230h today. The siding runs from the Castle Donington line to the new SEGRO Logistic Park and EDF Railfreight Terminal. Is the terminal in use now?
East Midlands Gateway, as it is known, has been receiving trains for several months now;
initially two trains a day from Felixstowe (one DB and one FL), but the Freightliner train
was suspended following the closure of most shops back in March.

This week saw the resumption of the Freightliner service and the introduction of a third
daily train (from Southampton, operated by GBRf).

I can't find any corresponding movement on realtraintimes. Can anyone tell me what this train was?
It was the reinstated Freightliner train from Felixstowe, running as 4M86:

(the early arrival is normal, caused by the needlessly long allowance for the run round at Duddeston Junction)

MARK

Nottingham59

Established Member
Thanks, Mark. Much appreciated.

"the early arrival is normal", which explains why I couldn't find it as I was looking for a pass at XDD for only an hour each side!

Status
Not open for further replies.