• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Midlands on-board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minstral25

Established Member
I'm going to Chesterfield next Wednesday and am going to sample East Midlands on board for the first time. Haven't been on the Midland main line since they were powered by Peaks!!

I'll probably go up on either the 09:35 or 09:55 from St Pancras International and coming back late afternoon.

What kind of service should I expect on the train, do I need to book seats and any other suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Skymonster

Established Member
The services won't be that busy that you need seat reservations - although you'll have them of course if you travel on an Advance. First Advance can often be well-priced off-peak, sometimes very little more than standard so if you're travelling on an Advance do at least consider first - if its only £2-£3 extra its worth it.

On board is a typical Rail Gourmless trolley service and fee-paid wifi in standard, or at-seat tea or coffee and juice/water and snacks and wifi all included in ticket price in first (or buy-on-board for something a little more substantial in first only)

Andy

Minstral25

Established Member
Thanks for the info guys - sounds like I'm in for a pretty boring journey - oh Well

My company is paying for the tickets, not first but I'll get ordinary returns so I can be flexible on way back.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Ordinary Returns were renamed Open Returns on 12 May 1985, and were further renamed Anytime Returns on 7 September 2008.

For travel in Standard class an Off Peak Return (SVR) should suffice, priced at £122, this is valid on any train between Redhill & London and is valid out of St Pancras on the services you wish to use, and any train back in the afternoon/evening.

For travel in First Class, there is no Off Peak variant, so the Anytime (FOR) would be required, at a ludicrous £305!

* It is cheaper if you buy a ticket to the next station beyond Chesterfield; Dronfield. This is priced at £118.30 for the SVR and £288 for the FOR, saving £3.70 and £17 respectively. Finishing short at Chesterfield (where you'd have to change anyway) is permitted. The routeing on these Dronfield tickets is 'Route: via Chesterfield'. However many expenses departments may not permit purchasing tickets for longer journeys and finishing short.

Status
Not open for further replies.