• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East midlands qualified driver interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

graycam25

Hi all, not posted on here for a good while but keen to find out any info from anyone who has been through the qualified driver interview before?

I have an interview with EMT, potentially transferring from my current TOC

ive done research into EMT and would like to pick anyones brains for other people who have maybe transferred from one company to another.

My safety of the line I can assume will be talked about, is there anything else theyre keen on asking ?

thanks in advance all :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lanc688

Sorry Greycam, unable to assist on that score, but just wondered what depot you're going for as I live near Lincoln.
Lanc

Quickthorn

I was wondering what EMT's policy is on distance from work. Would they take an application from someone who was prepared to move to the area?

I haven't applied, BTW..Good luck to those who have!

A-driver

Established Member
Hi all, not posted on here for a good while but keen to find out any info from anyone who has been through the qualified driver interview before?

ive done research into EMT and would like to pick anyones brains for other people who have maybe transferred from one company to another.

My safety of the line I can assume will be talked about, is there anything else theyre keen on asking ?

Not specific to EMT but I transferred a number of years ago so have sat a qualified interview. It wasn't really anything I wasn't expecting, a few rule book style questions (ie driving along under greens and have an unsolicited brake application-what do you do and check, plus questions on things like fire on train etc).

They asked the obvious question of why I wanted to move and asked what challenges I may face at the new TOC. I was also asked what I believe makes a professional driver.

If there are major differences at the new TOC (ie they run under OHLE which you don't currently do or use diesel traction which you currently don't or use loco hauled stock etc) then it may be worth reading relevant rule book modules ahead of the interview so you can highlight you are aware of various differences and 'new' rules etc.

TDK

Established Member

When transferring by far the most important factors are your safety of the line record, your sickness record and your years experience driving.

dboi84

Hello all I have an interview for next week with East miss trains and told I will have to sit a rules test does anyone know what sort they will be ?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hello all I have an interview for next week with East miss trains and told I will have to sit a rules test does anyone know what sort they will be ?

A-driver

Established Member

I doubt it's any more intense than your bi-annual rules day with your DM. Just read up on SLW, TBW, assistance/emerg protection, etc and prepare for the usual questions. As I said earlier in the thread, it's worth looking at any rules book modules you currently don't need to worry about but will at this new TOC (eg OHLE, 3rd rail, loco hauled, T3 etc). Obviously they will train you on anything you need training on but it looks good if you can show you have looked into these areas and have a basic understanding.

Most TOCs do a training needs analysis aswell (this may be what they mean) which is to cover themselves so if there are any areas they feel you need to brush up on they can go over it with you before you sign the routes and traction.

Being that you are already a driver I'd just think about what TOCs want from 'professional drivers' and make sure you are confident with rule book, traction (common fault and failures/DOTE speeds etc) and think about how to answer questions along the lines of why you want to change TOCs, why you feel you are a professional driver, how you keep your concentration going and avoid incidents etc.

Brush up on rules but don't fret too much about a rules exam as if you were that bad your current employer would have picked you up on it by now! Saying that, obviously bear in mind that all applicants will be sitting a rules test so ensure there are no obvious gaps in knowledge which will put you behind them.

You are a driver being interviewed for a job by a driver manager. It's not a scary as most job interviews.

Last edited:

TDK

Established Member
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

It's usually PTS questions and an out of course scenario to solve but all TOC's are different. My last move I have 12 PTS questions and a failed train scenario where you needed to explain step by step what you would do. It will never be anything like your bi-annual rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.