• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Midlands Railway livery and station branding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pdeaves

Established Member
"Wessex" in the railway industry refers to everything out of London Waterloo, by and large - although it's not the most geographically correct region!
"West Country" might work better IMO.
they will be used on ex-Wessex Trains routes, though, so maybe 'Wessex' is correct here! :)

43 302

Established Member
Not really a valid argument from my point of view. They are being used between Cardiff and Penzance, most of which is the West Country.

43102EMR

Established Member
Not really a valid argument from my point of view. They are being used between Cardiff and Penzance, most of which is the West Country.
And that’s fair enough. We’ll leave it there.

I can imagine 274 will be released from the paint shop soon judging from the photo. Definitely looks like it was done to compare past and present on the MML.

43 302

Established Member
And that’s fair enough. We’ll leave it there.

I can imagine 274 will be released from the paint shop soon judging from the photo. Definitely looks like it was done to compare past and present on the MML.
That photo is a bit outdated too. It currently has black headlight surrounds. Also of note is that the black cab surrounds look too wide to my eye.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Yup, too many people complained about no credit being given to the photographer
Surely that's for the photographer to do? Some people do love to have their two-pennyworth... :rolleyes: anyway, for those who did not see it, the HST power car was not yet completed and it looked like the logo had not yet been applied, so a bit longer to go before it's ready. It will clash a bit with the red ended carriages!

43102EMR

Established Member
Not to mention (as stated above) the fact that it was leaked. Hopefully EMR will provide more updates themselves in due course.

fgwrich

Established Member
Not to mention (as stated above) the fact that it was leaked. Hopefully EMR will provide more updates themselves in due course.

Yes, rather like the situation with 102s repaint, I do believe certain people within EMR are not very pleased with that leak, again. It does seem that some people want it all, and have to spoil the surprises for all.

As for comments regarding the cost and necessity of the repaint, bodywork overhauls will still have to continue regardless of what livery they put them into, so why not.

spotify95

they will be used on ex-Wessex Trains routes, though, so maybe 'Wessex' is correct here! :)
Indeed. In the south west of the UK (when I first used the trains during a holiday) they were referred to as Wessex Trains - I presume this was before everything was merged into First Great Western / FGW.

Also, it's nice to see one of the EMR HSTs having a repaint, though if they were going to do that, why couldn't they have kept the EMR blue sets and just painted one of those?

43102EMR

Established Member
Indeed. In the south west of the UK (when I first used the trains during a holiday) they were referred to as Wessex Trains - I presume this was before everything was merged into First Great Western / FGW.

Also, it's nice to see one of the EMR HSTs having a repaint, though if they were going to do that, why couldn't they have kept the EMR blue sets and just painted one of those?
The blue sets were needed elsewhere, along with their dispensations expiring, the LNER ones being more PRM compliant, and the MTUs being deemed better for the environment.

170503’s now in EMR Regional livery, although it’s returned to Tyseley as opposed to Nottingham or Derby so guessing it’s re-entering service with WMR.

Last edited:

43 302

Established Member
The blue sets were needed elsewhere, along with their dispensations expiring, the LNER ones being more PRM compliant, and the MTUs being deemed better for the environment.

170503’s now in EMR Regional livery, although it’s returned to Tyseley as opposed to Nottingham or Derby so guessing it’s re-entering service with WMR.
When you say the blue sets were needed elsewhere, where exactly do you mean?

43102EMR

Established Member
When you say the blue sets were needed elsewhere, where exactly do you mean?
Most of the VPs were wanted by DATS, LSL, Colas and the 125 Group - I think Porterbrook also donated one or two to University of Birmingham, with the remaining few stored either for spares or at Long Marston. The Angel buffered sets were the least PRM compliant of the lot so they were all put straight into storage before Rail Adventure acquired them.

43 302

Established Member
Most of the VPs were wanted by DATS, LSL, Colas and the 125 Group - I think Porterbrook also donated one or two to University of Birmingham, with the remaining few stored either for spares or at Long Marston. The Angel buffered sets were the least PRM compliant of the lot so they were all put straight into storage before Rail Adventure acquired them.
So when you say blue sets you meant the blue power cars? PRM compliance only applies to the sets, not the power cars; which are what rail adventure have acquired.

OTRail

So when you say blue sets you meant the blue power cars? PRM compliance only applies to the sets, not the power cars; which are what rail adventure have acquired.
Yes, but as they mentioned above the power cars were wanted elsewhere. The LNER ones had just come off-lease and EMR were able to lease them long-term due to there not being a pressing need for them with other companies. Moreover, full sets of MK3s did transfer over to DATS, LSL and 125 Group...

43 302

Established Member
Yes, but as they mentioned above the power cars were wanted elsewhere. The LNER ones had just come off-lease and EMR were able to lease them long-term due to there not being a pressing need for them with other companies. Moreover, full sets of MK3s did transfer over to DATS, LSL and 125 Group...
The decisions to lease the Red sets had nothing to do with the power cars. And I think you should do some maths as to how many blue trailers were scrapped Vs further use. LSL have ex GWR Mk3s, DATS have mostly LHCS Mk3s from the pretendolino. The majority of the IC70 blue trailers have been scrapped.

OTRail

The decisions to lease the Red sets had nothing to do with the power cars. And I think you should do some maths as to how many blue trailers were scrapped Vs further use. LSL have ex GWR Mk3s, DATS have mostly LHCS Mk3s from the pretendolino. The majority of the IC70 blue trailers have been scrapped.
That wasn’t the point being made and I’m well aware of that - EMR needed to be rid of their HST sets as much as possible by December when the dispensations ran out and the LNER sets were more compliant. It was also partially fuelled by the power cars as the VPs are less environmentally friendly than the MTUs, which is why the power cars entered service as early as January 2020. Let’s not forget the 180s were brought in to replace the ex-GC sets, which is why there are only two sets left in service per day...

43 302

Established Member
That wasn’t the point being made and I’m well aware of that - EMR needed to be rid of their HST sets as much as possible by December when the dispensations ran out and the LNER sets were more compliant. It was also partially fuelled by the power cars as the VPs are less environmentally friendly than the MTUs, which is why the power cars entered service as early as January 2020. Let’s not forget the 180s were brought in to replace the ex-GC sets, which is why there are only two sets left in service per day...
Please tell me what the point being made is, as I have clearly missed it. It was not fuelled by MTUs being more "environmentally friendly" afaik. The reason was entirely due to the leasing companies wanting to lease full sets, which would include the power cars, and the fact that a lot of the VP185 engined PCs had potential further use lined up. There are only two sets left in service per day due to the massively decreased timetable currently in operation.

OTRail

Please tell me what the point being made is, as I have clearly missed it. It was not fuelled by MTUs being more "environmentally friendly" afaik. The reason was entirely due to the leasing companies wanting to lease full sets, which would include the power cars, and the fact that a lot of the VP185 engined PCs had potential further use lined up. There are only two sets left in service per day due to the massively decreased timetable currently in operation.
The point being made is that there were other reasons besides PRM compliance as to why the ex-EMT sets were sent off lease. There are also various articles online supporting the environment and energy efficiency as one of the reasons why the LNER power cars were used as opposed to the EMT ones. And yes I’m aware of this, there are still a few spare at Neville Hill to deliver this.

43 302

Established Member
The point being made is that there were other reasons besides PRM compliance as to why the ex-EMT sets were sent off lease. There are also various articles online supporting the environment and energy efficiency as one of the reasons why the LNER power cars were used as opposed to the EMT ones. And yes I’m aware of this, there are still a few spare at Neville Hill to deliver this.
I can't see how that was possibly the point being made. Could you link these articles please? I would love to have a read.

Status
Not open for further replies.