East Midlands rural service improvements

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by Failed Unit, 12 Sep 2019.

1. edwin_m

edwin_m Veteran Member

That's why my post you quoted included the words:
    I guess the Sleaford boxes have always been open longer hours for the Skegness service.

2. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Established Member

Where have you heard all this? Is it definite?

3. Old Yard Dog

Old Yard Dog Member

Crewe - Derby used to be Manchester Airport - Skegness till it suffered near death by a thousand cuts. Now they plan to do something similar to Liverpool - Norwich

4. Failed Unit

Failed Unit Established Member

It is in the dft press release when the franchise was awarded.
    Journey times as you say are about the same. Money talks however. Lincoln is significantly cheaper. Look even now the cheapest APs are available on the Lincoln terminators. This might be another selling point. You are first on the connection.

Back in BR days the fare via Doncaster was always higher. This was removed when the 153s were introduced to try and get demand off the route. (This failed so BR for a while missed the minimum connection time at Newark to discourage through travel)

5. Class 170101

Class 170101 Established Member

Crewe should become more important due to HS2.

In terms of Northern extending its Scunthorpe service onwards to Cleethorpes whilst it looks awkard don't Northern have a plan to run York - Scarborough (via Malton) services over a route currently operated by TPE? Probably good for price competition but if running via this route can be dome why not between Scunthorpe and Cleethorpes too?

In the main I agree that Grimsby and Cleethorpes will probably only get a London service via LNER at Lincoln. However remember the IEP depot for East Coast is at Doncaster so maybe there could be some splitters / joining trains or starters / finishers that run to Cleethorpes instead.

6. Jorge Da Silva

Jorge Da Silva Established Member

a local service between Doncaster and Scunthorpe might be a good thing as it may be popular and Cleethorpes may be a better place to terminate than Scunthorpe. My best guess is capacity I would think a service from Sheffield via Gainsborough might be more of a priority than Doncaster stopper.

7. Class 170101

Class 170101 Established Member

Perhaps but a viaable interchange might be worthwhile at Barnetby if a through train can't be resourced as the Sheffield route is favoured.

8. Jorge Da Silva

Or could it be done seen as there is a passing loop which would allow two trains to pass on the section between Grimsby Town and Cleethorpes.

9. VT 390

VT 390 Established Member

As the EMR service will be extended to Cleethorpes could Northern services from 1 or both routes terminate at Grimsby Town?

10. ChrisC

ChrisC Member

Manchester Airport to Skegness didn't really last that many years. However, before that it was always Crewe - Lincoln, and that was a much more useful service. This provided Lincoln passengers with connections at Derby for Birmingham and the SW and also Nottingham passengers connections at Crewe for the WCML, Chester and North Wales. The current services all require additional changes at Nottingham or Derby.

Crewe used to be a very good interchange for services from Nottingham to the NW and Scotland but these days there is only 1tph that calls at Crewe for Scotland. The connections are also not that good with only 10 minutes when travelling southbound from Scotland before the departure to Derby. WCML trains from Glasgow/Edinburgh are regularly delayed and the connection is missed. This happened to me this week but fortunately I was keeping an eye on the situation and changed at Preston and Manchester instead which got ne into Nottingham 30 minutes earlier than I would have done with a long wait at Crewe. Unfortunately you cant have this flexibility when travelling with Advance tickets and have to endure up to 1 hours wait in Crewe as the Derby train is not held. It is no easier travelling via Grantham as very few Edinburgh trains now call there.

11. VT 390

I would have thought that a 10 minute connection at Crewe would be the best possible connection as this is the minimum connection time, as any service could be delayed by any amount of time no matter how long you allow you could always miss the connection.

12. Jorge Da Silva

EMR is terminating at Grimsby. Northern runs Barton every two hours to Cleethorpes, along with TPE every hour. So in theory the line between Town and Cleethorpes could deal with 2 train per hour or 2.5 trains per hour at max.

13. VT 390

I thought that EMR was planning to extend its Grimsby service through to Cleethorpes once it becomes hourly?

14. Jorge Da Silva

Nope, not planned. Only 1 train per day will extend to Cleethorpes as well as one train per day from Lincoln-Newark extending to Cleethorpes.

15. vlad

vlad Member

Target practice?