• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Midlands/Thameslink ticketing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I buy a super off peak ticket from Luton Airport Parkway to City Thameslink and get a direct Thameslink service on the way there and then on the way back use the return portion from City Thameslink to London St Pancras, tell the gate line staff I am braking my journey, then go up to the East Midlands platforms and get on an EMT to Luton Airport Parkway?

If my ticket says Luton Airport to London Thameslink will they let me through at the barriers to the EMT platforms or will they tell me to go down to the Thameslink platforms? Alternatively if the ticket says Luton Airport to London Terminals will I be able to use the ticket to get out and back in again at City Thameslink?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
According to
http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?orig=LTN&dest=CTK&grpd=4452&rte=1000&tkt=PDR
the ticket (and its weekend only variant with the same name) is issued to London Thameslink. It is therefore valid upstairs at St Pancras EMT even if it does not work the barriers (indeed the restriction code specifically refers to the station).
Unusually I cannot find any reference to break of journey, but AIUI the default is that BOJ is permitted.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
There is no fare from Luton Airport Parkway to London Terminals. Tickets are issued to London Thameslink.

You will be perfectly fine to change at St Pancras and use EMT services.

alistairlees

Established Member
Can I buy a super off peak ticket from Luton Airport Parkway to City Thameslink and get a direct Thameslink service on the way there and then on the way back use the return portion from City Thameslink to London St Pancras, tell the gate line staff I am braking my journey, then go up to the East Midlands platforms and get on an EMT to Luton Airport Parkway?

If my ticket says Luton Airport to London Thameslink will they let me through at the barriers to the EMT platforms or will they tell me to go down to the Thameslink platforms?

Whether you are going from Luton Airport or Luton Airport Parkway (you mention both above) the only Super Off-Peak Return tickets that are available are to London Thameslink. With either you are valid to go to City Thameslink (or indeed further such as London Blackfriars, Elephant & Castle or London Bridge when the link to it re-opens in January).

I have many times used an Anytime Return to get on an EMT HST at Luton Airport Parkway, overtaken a Thameslink service I have just missed, and then got on that service at St Pancras to carry on to Blackfriars. The Super Off-Peak Day Returns (there are two of them!) don't have any break of journey restrictions either, so I'm sure the reverse as you plan would be absolutely fine.

Haywain

Veteran Member
It' quicker to stay on the train from city.
I agree with this. A comfortable interchange at St Pancras will need 10 minutes or so. which will wipe out the advantage of the faster EMT journey time.

Status
Not open for further replies.