• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Midlands Trains, their C158s are excellent, but their Meridians absolute c**p ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Geezertronic

Established Member
To those who think that hardly anyone is bothered about small windows on trains, try putting Virgin Pendolino small windows into Google.
So it's not only me then ?
Even I was surprised at how many people are on the intenet complaining about it.
And remember, most people don't complain, even it they are, in fact, not happy.

And you have the audacity to say I have an axe to grind? Pot kettle and all that?

The simple fact of the matter is that you won't get official figures to back up your Wikipedia editing and your "skulking around New Street". Your figures may be accurate, who is to say without official figures?

As pointed out many many many times before, the 390s are not perfect and the windows are smaller than other rolling stock but if you hate them that much then don't use them. I don't see why you continue to grind your axe (and publicise your own website on here)?

Personally, the 390s get me from A to B quickly, safely and comfortably and that is my opinion - and no matter how much you harass me, I will not change my opinion to match yours.

EM2

Established Member
To those who think that hardly anyone is bothered about small windows on trains, try putting Virgin Pendolino small windows into Google.
So it's not only me then ?

7380 hits. I read the precis of the first fifty hits. Only eight of those are actually complaints about the train.
So say, eight out of forty-eight (makes the maths easier) is one-sixth.
One-sixth of 7380 is 1230. And how many of those are duplications?

Justin Smith

Justin unfortunately is still on one about the Pendolino seating, alignments and window sizes as can be seen by the edit history of the British Rail 390 Wikipedia entry.

Aside from advertising his own website (is that allowed mods?), he cannot seem to grasp the idea that his original research into the figures he has provided about the 390 and APT window sizes cannot be classed as accurate and that "skulking around New Street" (his words, not mine) with a tape measure and asking some bloke at the Heritage Centre is not an accurate way of getting the measurements.

Time and time again I have suggested he try and find something more official to add as a reference, until such evidence is presented the figures will always remain as original research and cannot be classed as accurate (especially since the same figure cannot apply for every coach in the formation).

I don't honestly know why he is putting much effort into this without quantifying his figures with accurate research but suffcie to say he won't let it lie...

You know it`s a funny old world.
It did annoy me that Geezertronic was selectively using every mechnism in the Wikipedia tool kit to remove the Pendolino window figures (nobody can prove they`re incorrect, for one very simple reason, they are correct) but, in actual fact, he`s actually done me a favour. Instead of adding an article to my site going down the technical figures and calculations route (of Pendolino window size) I thought I`d forget about Wikipedia and go for amusing satire instead. Which is what I`ve done, and I really like the article, and furthermore fits in well with an existing page.
Some people might find it hard to believe but a significant proportion of the complimentary E Mails we get mention the "Health & Safety B******s" page. They think it`s amusing but also thought provoking.

Geezertronic

Established Member
You know it's a funny old world.
It did annoy me that Geezertronic was selectively using every mechnism in the Wikipedia tool kit to remove the Pendolino window figures (nobody can prove they're incorrect, for one very simple reason, they are correct) but, in actual fact, he's actually done me a favour. Instead of adding an article to my site going down the technical figures and calculations route (of Pendolino window size) I thought I'd forget about Wikipedia and go for amusing satire instead. Which is what I've done, and I really like the article, and furthermore fits in well with an existing page.
Some people might find it hard to believe but a significant proportion of the complimentary E Mails we get mention the "Health & Safety B******s" page. They think it's amusing but also thought provoking.

As I said on RailForums before and on the Wikipedia talk page, you have to be right all the time at the detriment of other peoples point of view. You have your own website so go and write what you want. The fact that your window size figures cannot be correct for every vehicle in the 390 set (and I assume the APT set as well) escapes you given that not every vehicle in the set is exactly the same (lead vehicles for example).

Whoever "they" is, good luck to them.

Feed the troll... Now on here for one reason and one reason only - to publicise his own website.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
You know it's a funny old world.
It did annoy me that Geezertronic was selectively using every mechnism in the Wikipedia tool kit to remove the Pendolino window figures (nobody can prove they're incorrect, for one very simple reason, they are correct) but, in actual fact, he's actually done me a favour. Instead of adding an article to my site going down the technical figures and calculations route (of Pendolino window size) I thought I'd forget about Wikipedia and go for amusing satire instead. Which is what I've done, and I really like the article, and furthermore fits in well with an existing page.
Some people might find it hard to believe but a significant proportion of the complimentary E Mails we get mention the "Health & Safety B******s" page. They think it's amusing but also thought provoking.

Justin, I hate your website and most other blogs that merely allow someone to rant and push forward their own agenda. I don't oppose your right to hold any opinion you want, not to express it any blog you want to create.

I do object to your constant posting with links to your own website or blog. Your persistence on this thread is actually making me view you in a rather negative way, despite the fact that I agree with you that windows on Pendolino trains are a little small, and I prefer to have a good view out of the window.

WillPS

Established Member
Justin, I hate your website and most other blogs that merely allow someone to rant and push forward their own agenda. I don't oppose your right to hold any opinion you want, not to express it any blog you want to create.

I do object to your constant posting with links to your own website or blog. Your persistence on this thread is actually making me view you in a rather negative way, despite the fact that I agree with you that windows on Pendolino trains are a little small, and I prefer to have a good view out of the window.

I agree with this but I doubt he'll take any notice. Will a Mod please slam the banhammer or at least close this thread? Nothing useful has come from him nor it.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Class 158s have big windows and nice seats in the east midlands.

Have to say that the whilst I've never sampled the EMT 158s the Northern 158s that we get on the Yorkshire Coast line also have nice big windows and comfy seats, only complaint really is that there isn't quite enough leg room.

Status
Not open for further replies.