• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Nottingham re-signalling

Status
Not open for further replies.

High Dyke

Established Member
Lowdham signal box closed at 00:36hrs, Saturday 1st October.

This is the first phase in the project that passes control to EMCC at Derby. The next phase will continue affecting Fiskerton Junction SB, Fiskerton Station and Rolleston LC's.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HowardGWR

Established Member
Lowdham signal box closed at 00:36hrs, Saturday 1st October.

This is the first phase in the project that passes control to EMCC at Derby. The next phase will continue affecting Fiskerton Junction SB, Fiskerton Station and Rolleston LC's.

Ah yes, poignant memories of commuting from there and involving the signal box dealing with a forgotten parcel containing Sage Derby Cheese which was thought to be Semtex by staff who found it. (This was during the time of the IRA threats).

The later incident involved taking the keys of the car onto the train, having left wife in car with baby daughter, without said keys (she had not brought her own keys).

In each case the signalman dealt with the emergency.

Who now will deal with these incidents?

Last edited:

High Dyke

Established Member
Yes I agree it is sad :( When are the other three due to close?
Fiskerton Jn, Fiskerton Station & Rolleston are due to close 22/24 Octopber. Staythorpe & Newark Castle 5/7 November. All control passed to EMCC, Derby.

Ah yes, poignant memories of commuting from there and involving the signal box dealing with a forgotten parcel containing Sage Derby Cheese which was thought to be Semtex by staff who found it. (This was during the time of the IRA threats).

The later incident involved taking the keys of the car onto the train, having left wife in car with baby daughter, without said keys (she had not brought her own keys).

In each case the signalman dealt with the emergency.

Who now will deal with these incidents?
Sadly no visible presence anymore. Signalling will be done from Derby and the train operator only has the help-point. Not really frontline customer relations on either count...:roll:

najaB

Veteran Member
Sadly no visible presence anymore. Signalling will be done from Derby and the train operator only has the help-point. Not really frontline customer relations on either count...:roll:
The Army would be called in to blow up the cheese these days! :shock:

Tomnick

Established Member
I was sent (well, I offered) to learn them all bar Newark Castle last year. It's a great regret that I never got chance to work them properly before leaving for the dark side. Some great folk down there though - a really warm welcome for a reliefman from relatively foreign lands.

Best wishes to everyone affected!

High Dyke

Established Member
I was sent (well, I offered) to learn them all bar Newark Castle last year. It's a great regret that I never got chance to work them properly before leaving for the dark side. Some great folk down there though - a really warm welcome for a reliefman from relatively foreign lands.

Best wishes to everyone affected!
After serving the line for 16 years it brought a lump to my throat with the realisation of the event. Whilst staff affected on the route have all got jobs/leaving the railway I'm still waiting to find where my job is being moved to - i wasn't part of the redundancy/resettlement process.

Last edited:

Kneedown

Established Member
I used to look forward to waving at the lovely young lady signaller at Lowdham when I passed. Just lately though it's always been the chap with the braces!
I think the boxes are being closed in stages to allow the new level crossings to be commissioned sequentially. Apparently if it were done in one go it would result in unacceptably long diversions for road traffic.

LowLevel

Established Member
After serving the line for 16 years it brought a lump to my throat with the realisation of the event. Whilst staff affected on the route have all got jobs/leaving the railway I'm still waiting to find where my job is being moved to - i wasn't part of the redundancy/resettlement process.

Hope it works out for you - please take it as a compliment that there isn't a member of traincrew that isn't sad to see you go, even the not particularly enthusiast inclined ones.

The attitude of the staff on the line can be easily summed up - quite apart from their insistence on greeting both the driver and the guard (and in many cases the passengers) wherever humanly possible (a friendly face is always welcome, perhaps only matched by Tutbury Crossing and Wainfleet for refusing to turn away until the guard has given them a wave from the platform! :D ) but by the fact that a) the locals are genuinely gutted to be losing 'their' signalman and have quite forgiven all trespasses about dropping barriers early (oh how they'll love MCB-OD), and b) even a few weeks ago a car dealer came up to me in a panic about leaving his trade plates in the shelter at Fiskerton. A quick phone call to the crossing keeper who was far obliging than I ever expected resulted in them being picked up and popped in the box, for collection later.

I'm extremely sad about it and the Lincoln road won't be the same. At least we still have Swinderby for now.

Class 170101

Established Member
Still at least there will be even less of an excuse for EMT not to run a service between Lincoln and Nottingham before early afternoon.

HowardGWR

Established Member
My Sage Derby only got as far as Newark Castle before it was rescued and returned.

Slightly OT but where is the car park at Lowdham? A brief return with Google Maps and Street View failed to identify any parking. I thought I could remember a small facility back in 1975.

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Just out of interest is the cross over at Fiskerton Junction signal box going to be retained for operational reasons or will the track be plain lined?

LowLevel

Established Member
Just out of interest is the cross over at Fiskerton Junction signal box going to be retained for operational reasons or will the track be plain lined?

Both it and Staythorpe's crossovers were removed last year or possibly early this year, can't remember which. Seems to have been a maintenance cost saving thing as Bingham and Elmton and Creswell were removed at the same time.

The only crossovers between Nottingham Station East and Lincoln West (Boultham, West Holmes etc) are now at Newark Castle (moving east), Crankley Point (Newark Crossing East Jn) and Swinderby (unsignalled but has been used in emergencies).

Last edited:

Mugby

Established Member
The oddest box of the lot has to be Fiskerton, it must be a strange experience spending a shift in a box which slopes quite severely in the way that it does.

Still at least there will be even less of an excuse for EMT not to run a service between Lincoln and Nottingham before early afternoon.

With the new signalling between Lincoln and Peterborough they still get away with providing Monday to Saturday only between 9am until closure at 4pm

Class 170101

Established Member
With the new signalling between Lincoln and Peterborough they still get away with providing Monday to Saturday only between 9am until closure at 4pm

Probably needs a new franchise to make EMT provide the direct services. However as no stations are affected it may stay the same unless someone points it out to the DfT and can make a case for it without requiring extra subsidy.

Probably needs a new franchise to make EMT provide the direct services. However as no stations are affected it may stay the same unless someone points it out to the DfT and can make a case for it without requiring extra subsidy.

not sure how the fact NR don;t open the boxes for longer is EMT's fault ... again a symptom ofthe franchising system and how it;s not actually privatisation ...

not sure how the fact NR don;t open the boxes for longer is EMT's fault ... again a symptom ofthe franchising system and how it;s not actually privatisation ...

The boxes are gone, must be at least two years now, comes from Lincoln now, the white gate crossings are gone, freight still operate 24 hours a day, think there is an unknown problem between Spalding and Sleaford

Last edited:

LowLevel

Established Member
A lack of funded trains and train crew. Probably to be sorted in the new franchise. I think earlier Sunday services from Nottingham to Lincoln and Grantham are this franchise's priority for next year.

A lack of funded trains and train crew. Probably to be sorted in the new franchise. I think earlier Sunday services from Nottingham to Lincoln and Grantham are this franchise's priority for next year.

Oh a train before 4pm in Lincolnshire on a Sunday :o

Status
Not open for further replies.