• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East-West Rail (EWR): Consultation updates [not speculation]

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Ham

Established Member
thanks - so the owners get paid and then a refund if not needed? Seems a bit of a legal palaver!

Probably better thinking of it along the lines of renting it, on a non rail project the deal was the price of the lost income to the farmer for that bit of field for the season in which it was out of use, on the understand that the top soil was returned in a good state.

It appeared to a standard deal and nothing special in terms of the legals.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Apologies if this has been discussed already, is the flyover being refurbished or replaced entirely?
Partially refurbished, and partially replaced (above WCML and Buckingham Rd). Please see my post #3769 on 9 April which included a pdf planning drawing as an attachment.

An earlier post, #3624, includes a short summary of the work, which is a separate planning application as not covered by the TWA Order...

Last edited:

D365

Veteran Member
Partially refurbished, and partially replaced (above WCML and Buckingham Rd). Please see my post #3769 on 9 April which included a pdf planning drawing as an attachment.

An earlier post, #3624, includes a short summary of the work, which is a separate planning application as not covered by the TWA Order...

Thanks again for the help.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

I wonder what the plans are for replacing the bit over the Buckingham Road? As there are relatively limited crossing facilities even on foot and cycle, this is going to cause huge disruption if the road requires closure for any length of time.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I wonder what the plans are for replacing the bit over the Buckingham Road? As there are relatively limited crossing facilities even on foot and cycle, this is going to cause huge disruption if the road requires closure for any length of time.
The drawing I attached suggests those existing piers are strengthened, so it may be a couple of lifts out and then new beams back in, which shouldn‘t take that long? I suppose it depends a lot on whether a suitable crane can be positioned away from the road?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The drawing I attached suggests those existing piers are strengthened, so it may be a couple of lifts out and then new beams back in, which shouldn‘t take that long? I suppose it depends a lot on whether a suitable crane can be positioned away from the road?

It might well be that this can be achieved by demolishing the old, unused Cable and Wireless building (the black one), as it appears a crane positioned there might well be in a suitable position.

Actually scratch that...I was thinking of the mainline bridge. For the flyover there's probably room on the open area of pavement on the other side.

Ladder23

Established Member
I’ll possibky drive through the site and see up close! Will take some photos if I see anything interesting

Chris125

Established Member
Did they ever consider reinstating the chord from the Bicester line that used to cross over Water Eaton Road on an overbridge? It may have been into a bay previously. I'm sure somebody knowledgeable will know.

IIRC it was considered for a time when there were grand plans for longer distance services, but that was a good few years and much de-scoping ago.

Buckingham Road will be closed to vehicular traffic for a period of time whilst a lifting crane is placed across the road, between the Flyover and Brunel Roundabout.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Buckingham Road will be closed to vehicular traffic for a period of time whilst a lifting crane is placed across the road, between the Flyover and Brunel Roundabout.

That's going to cause chaos (though it has happened before when they singled it on one side to build the Redway, it used to be treacherous cycling down there). Will it remain open to foot and cycle (possibly pushing) traffic? That's the one that would be badly affected as the ways round are rather long. It'll also seriously disrupt bus routes 4 and 7 which won't be able to get to the Bus Station.

Hughby

20200422_142905.jpg

Today's lift (after what seemed like a considerable amount of faffing to the uninitiated - e.g. me!)

I had expected a yawning gap to appear but they seem to have cut out and lifted some inner section of the span.

There was some muttering of 'bigger crane next week' and 'lifting out whole sections' from bystanders who seemed to have done a lot more hanging around than I was prepared to do...

Hughby

20200427_143020.jpg
We have a bigger gap. The crane had been reduced in height/reach by the removal of a couple of jib sections which can be seen on the ground 'underneath' the flyover section being lifted. The word on the street was that this section weighed 306 tonnes (or possibly tons - the distinction would probably be lost on you if it fell on your foot!). It was interesting that from this point the load was swung round to align with the red trailer by a couple of guys pulling on ropes...

Brissle Girl

Established Member
I wonder if this classes as work starting? ;)
Being somewhat cynical, I never regard work taking up existing infrastructure as starting work, (in the same way I didn't when they started lifting the track a couple of years ago for surveying). It's all too easy to stop a project before you start actually building the new infrastructure - more difficult (ie embarassing) once there's visible sign of the new, which people can point out as wasted if the plug is pulled. And as we've seen from certain electrification projects, even that isn't a complete guarantee.

bspahh

Established Member
https://twitter.com/nrairops/status/1257621518869282816 has some more aerial photos of the Bletchley flyover, from Network Rail Aerial Operations from Thursday April 30th, including this one:

EXP3prZWoAAPTNa

Last edited:

Hughby

I cycled by yesterday to find out that (as predicted by @work-traveller and reported by @fgwrich on another thread) a third section had been lifted out on Sunday. I took a photo but it's not worth posting (some idiot had left a humongous crane in the way!). If you google search 'Bletchley Flyover Images', goto the 'images' tab and scroll down a bit you can find some excellent photos of the lift (and also some very interesting historical ones of the Flyover). I'd post links but I'm not sure about the forum rules - is it OK to link to someone else's photo if it shows up on a google search?

In the bottom left of the photo posted by @bspahh you can see the first section meeting its fate. It was still putting up some stern (but one suspects futile) resistance yesterday!

toby_farman

I cycled by yesterday to find out that (as predicted by @work-traveller and reported by @fgwrich on another thread) a third section had been lifted out on Sunday. I took a photo but it's not worth posting (some idiot had left a humongous crane in the way!). If you google search 'Bletchley Flyover Images', goto the 'images' tab and scroll down a bit you can find some excellent photos of the lift (and also some very interesting historical ones of the Flyover). I'd post links but I'm not sure about the forum rules - is it OK to link to someone else's photo if it shows up on a google search?

In the bottom left of the photo posted by @bspahh you can see the first section meeting its fate. It was still putting up some stern (but one suspects futile) resistance yesterday!

Am I correct in thinking they are lifting the bridge to provide high level platforms?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Am I correct in thinking they are lifting the bridge to provide high level platforms?

They're lifting it because it's in poorer condition than was thought. It will be replaced in the same vein as I believe it's listed.

There will indeed be high level platforms, but that's not what it's being lifted for. They will be built on the side nearer to the station than the present work.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The area they are doing currently is not where the platforms will be. It remains to be seen (unless anyone here knows!) whether the eastern ramp will be replaced with wider spans for the platforms, perhaps even incorporating the platforms themselves in the structure, or if the platforms are cantilevered off the existing or have new supports from ground level.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
If this artist's impression is anything to go by they will be on the side and supported by ground columns.

bletchleystationew.jpg

Not my photo - artist's impression of proposed Platforms 7, 8 and 9 at Bletchley (7 being the disused side of the present 6)

toby_farman

If this artist's impression is anything to go by they will be on the side and supported by ground columns.

bletchleystationew.jpg

Not my photo - artist's impression of proposed Platforms 7, 8 and 9 at Bletchley (7 being the disused side of the present 6)

That looks quite steep!! Will trains be able to get up that?

Status
Not open for further replies.