• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East-West Rail (EWR): Consultation updates [not speculation]

Status
Not open for further replies.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Have plans been drawn up for a new Bletchley Viaduct?
Yes. I posted a pdf of them a couple of months back. (April in fact). Please see Post #3769

It isn’t a full replacement, quite a few sections are being retained.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Indeed - it is less disruptive to train services to replace the sections. It is more disruptive to road users in Blethcley mind!

Yes, I think they have chosen the wrong option with the long-term closure, it is highly disruptive, and as I said upthread more people normally use that road in a day than will use EWR in a month. Was the Council obliged to allow the long-term closure? They wouldn't be allowed to do it on a motorway - or the WCML!

(There are quite a number of local road closures as a result of EWR which I believe are unnecessary for the period they have been imposed - quite limiting to my local cycling options!)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Yes, I think they have chosen the wrong option with the long-term closure, it is highly disruptive, and as I said upthread more people normally use that road in a day than will use EWR in a month. Was the Council obliged to allow the long-term closure? They wouldn't be allowed to do it on a motorway - or the WCML!

(There are quite a number of local road closures as a result of EWR which I believe are unnecessary for the period they have been imposed - quite limiting to my local cycling options!)
The road closures are clearly allowed for by the planning or TWA order processes. I guess one man’s negotiation is another’s imposition.

But don’t local authority closure notices almost always allow for contingencies, typically written as “X months or sooner”?

hwl

Established Member
Indeed - it is less disruptive to train services to replace the sections. It is more disruptive to road users in Blethcley mind!

Replacing the sections also give a much longer expected interval to the next expected intervention, hence cheaper in the long run.

hwl

Established Member

Aren't there plenty of diversion options via Water Eaton Rd?

ashkeba

Established Member
https://www.sustrans.org.uk/find-a-route-on-the-national-cycle-network/route-51/ says:
Due to works by East West Rail, two sections of Route 51 between Bletchley and Winslow will be closed for nine months, from July 2020. There is no suitable diversion currently.
How has the process allowed a signposted intercity cycle touring route to close without diversion or replacement transport? When level crossings are closed for works near me, there is often a minibus to transport bikes if there's no diversion or safe footpath through.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

The compound will be needed for the giant crane I assume. That is going to need a flat base to work from. There is a lot of levelling and building up work going on Looking at the geography i suspect this is the only suitable location

https://www.sustrans.org.uk/find-a-route-on-the-national-cycle-network/route-51/ says:

How has the process allowed a signposted intercity cycle touring route to close without diversion or replacement transport? When level crossings are closed for works near me, there is often a minibus to transport bikes if there's no diversion or safe footpath through.

The footpath is still open which i think is the cycle-way. If not, get off an push or cycle round the diversion. On a push bike you would have options not open to a car user to make the diversion much shorter

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The footpath is still open which i think is the cycle-way. If not, get off an push or cycle round the diversion. On a push bike you would have options not open to a car user to make the diversion much shorter

The combination of road and path closures means there's no sensible diversion other than along main roads. I think closing so many roads at once is highly inappropriate and should not have been allowed - mostly it's just to ease lorry access to compounds which to me is wrong.

ashkeba

Established Member
The bit with the crane is not Route 51. I think the Sustrans notice means some parts are closed where the A421 would be the nearest route and no-one is willing to fence off a lane or build a temporary cycleway/footpath for 9 months.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
The combination of road and path closures means there's no sensible diversion other than along main roads. I think closing so many roads at once is highly inappropriate and should not have been allowed - mostly it's just to ease lorry access to compounds which to me is wrong.

Ok - where is the crane going to go?

The "diversion" is about 10 yards! You have to go to the traffic light crossing at the bus station rather than the zebra crossing outside the park hotel. It is hardly massive when on foot or on pushbike. By car the diversion along Water Eaton road and Manor road is a long one ( and is already increasing traffic round my way)

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Ok - where is the crane going to go?

The "diversion" is about 10 yards! You have to go to the traffic light crossing at the bus station rather than the zebra crossing outside the park hotel. It is hardly massive when on foot or on pushbike. By car the diversion along Water Eaton road and manor road is a long one ( and is already increasing traffic round my way)

I was referring to the Route 51 closure. That is not the Buckingham Road! It's a cycle route between Standing Way (well, that end of Buckingham Road) and Winslow.

The pedestrian/cycle diversion on the Buckingham Road is no great issue, though I am quite concerned about the footnote that there will be arbitrary closures of that, too, rather than them being scheduled well in advance and a free shuttle bus for pedestrians put in place.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
The bit with the crane is not Route 51. I think the Sustrans notice means some parts are closed where the A421 would be the nearest route and no-one is willing to fence off a lane or build a temporary cycleway/footpath for 9 months.

Aha - the Winslow bit - got you.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Is it the "out in the sticks" bit of route 51 that is the problem?

Yes, including a load of minor roads around there too.

I just don't consider that the level of disruption being permitted to local road access is acceptable to construct a country branch line, which is basically what it is. The construction should be more phased to prevent this disruption which is affecting more people than will ever benefit from EWR.

If it was WCML work this sort of thing would be more justified.

hwl

Established Member

From memory /local knowledge.
One will be the section of cycle path built on railway land east of Swanbourne station - reconstructing a two track railway isn't possible without excavators and construction equipment working on top of the cycle track.
The other will be bridge reconstruction with the only "sensible" diversion being on the A421...

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
From memory /local knowledge.
One will be the section of cycle path built on railway land east of Swanbourne station - reconstructing a two track railway isn't possible without excavators and construction equipment working on top of the cycle track.
The other will be bridge reconstruction with the only sensible diversion being on the A421...

Cycling and walking on the A421 of course is unpleasant and dangerous, though it would be good if they could provide an off road cycle path along there and maybe now is a good opportunity to do so. There appears to be space for one along much of the length.

The section east of Swanbourne isn't too bad as there's a road diversion via Mursley. Twice as far but knowing the condition of that section of path it may even be quicker.

The road from Bottledump to Newton Longville is posted as being closed to allow a compound to be built, which to me seems out of order. There is no reason to close a road for that.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Yes. I posted a pdf of them a couple of months back. (April in fact). Please see Post #3769

It isn’t a full replacement, quite a few sections are being retained.

Thank you for that, I must have missed it before.

squizzler

Established Member
as I said upthread more people normally use that road in a day than will use EWR in a month.
I know you probably just meant this as a throwaway comment, but I doubt that, unless they cocked up the calculations. Whilst the works may blockade a major street in Bletchley, EWR is meant to be a new cross-country mainline with many journeys taking place over various sections along its length. It would be interesting to know what the relative numbers are in practice.
I think the Sustrans notice means some parts are closed where the A421 would be the nearest route and no-one is willing to fence off a lane or build a temporary cycleway/footpath for 9 months.
I do agree that the optics of blocking the cycleway are not good in light of the government drive to improve the conditions for bike users as part of the drive to fight obesity.

Last edited:

Hughby

A couple of photos taken on today's bike ride. The first shows the results of the last span that was removed (in sections). The second shows the new crane which wasn't doing anything as I passed by. Lots more pictures taken by someone more local that me can be seen in the link I posted here.

20200728_113341.jpg20200728_113636.jpg

Ladder23

Established Member
I’ll be in and out the yard today I’ll take some photos closely of things if people want to see

Ladder23

Established Member
Never noticed this piece removed. Till about 10 mins ago.

Attachments

• F71AD28D-5367-4F00-990C-67B508636408.jpeg
    F71AD28D-5367-4F00-990C-67B508636408.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 131

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Am I correct in thinking that maybe only 2 or 3 years ago, UK Railtours did a charter train that went up onto the viaduct, for as much of the track that was possible? And did that same railtour, or another, do the viaduct, then a bit on the other side from Islip to the Junction where the line from Aylesbury & Quainton Rd join up? ( I did an HDL trip through to Quainton and a bit beyond, some years ago.)

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Thank you for that clip, that must have been the railtour I was thinking off, amazing, as the trains seemed to have 14 carriages.

Ladder23

Established Member
Another panel as we speak is ready to be lifted, it was all good to go as I drove through the yard

Hughby

If big cranes are your thing then Bletchley is the place to be. Both photos taken from the same spot. In the background of the first photo you can see the first sections of the 'main' span over the Buckingham Road have been removed.

They seemed to be setting up to do more lifts but it was far too hot to hang around (and far far too hot to be working whilst wearing orange hi viz!).

20200731_115938.jpg20200731_115954.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.