• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Yorkshire Motor Services, now part of Go-Ahead

goldisgood

Unfortunately, GAhead isn't all wonderful (like Brighton, Oxford etc) there's also a less wonderful side to GoAhead - East Anglia and much of their London operations springs to mind.
I guess that Transdev would be a better fit for Wellglade.
Oxford ain't that great... buses regularly break down, fares outside of the city are extortionate on some routes, buses regularly late (I know one working that for at least the last 3 years has been around 10 minutes late 4 out of 5 days!) even on joint routes which I can't seem to understand (quite often the next bus, 7 minutes later, would turn up before the obc one). I could go on for a while, but I understand they are a lot better than most operators - Stagecoach Oxford are also very good, so I guess we're quite lucky.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hophead

Established Member
They may be looking to save some money by using GNE facilities for some back-office functions (e.g. accounts, HR, marketing, etc).

I'd expect a strong push on off-bus ticketing (Key cards and mobile apps) to reduce costs and improve cash flow (i.e. get the money nice and early).

Last time I looked, EYMS had little or nothing in that regard.

overthewater

Established Member
If there did that it could be a little gold mine... I think people have failed to notice EMYS isnts all bad. Yes it got alot of village routes, but it got uni routes and people buying season tickets, It also has part of Hull city to itself so again but of course some of the routes are somewhat complicated. I think If Go-ahead will need to act fast to get app etc running.

Established Member
I'd expect a strong push on off-bus ticketing (Key cards and mobile apps) to reduce costs and improve cash flow (i.e. get the money nice and early).

Last time I looked, EYMS had little or nothing in that regard.

They have an app, which apparently features live bus tracking as well as ticketing (and gets better reviews than most of the bigger operators apps).

High Dyke

Established Member
Blimey! I remember when EYMS had a shared management structure with Lincolnshire Road Car, though that didn't last very long.

Hophead

Established Member
They have an app, which apparently features live bus tracking as well as ticketing (and gets better reviews than most of the bigger operators apps).

Good to hear! Though users of the well-regarded app may not have quite so much to look forward to.

overthewater

Established Member
You can't use it for ticketing yet, Which I should have made much clearer in my post three up.. That was what was inferering to.

transmanche

Established Member
Unfortunately, GAhead isn't all wonderful (like Brighton, Oxford etc) there's also a less wonderful side to GoAhead - East Anglia and much of their London operations springs to mind.
What buses do GNE use on the X9/X10 Newcastle-Middlesbrough service? They look quite new. I've done five return journeys on that route in the past few months - and the bus has broken down on two separate journeys. A 20% failure rate!

Have they bought some lemons? Poor maintenance? Or (most likely), just bad luck?

Established Member
You can't use it for ticketing yet, Which I should have made much clearer in my post three up.. That was what was inferering to.

Someone needs to tell Google/Apple/the ASA or someone then, because EYMS claim you can.

175mph

On Moderation
Blimey! I remember when EYMS had a shared management structure with Lincolnshire Road Car, though that didn't last very long.
I've always thought of EYMS as East Yorkshire's version of Lincolnshire RoadCar.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Or the 350 route ticketing agreement where EYMS accept all the tickets from Stagecoach on the EYMS runs of the 350 route?
Imagine it will continue for the foreseeable. Don't anticipate any change to the relationship - think the recent Thamesdown skirmish puts paid to any thoughts like that.

I wonder what will happen to the EYMS Go4Less smartcard?
Will probably migrate to the standard Go Ahead type products - this will give you a clue https://www.gonortheast.co.uk/tickets/

MB1

What buses do GNE use on the X9/X10 Newcastle-Middlesbrough service? They look quite new. I've done five return journeys on that route in the past few months - and the bus has broken down on two separate journeys. A 20% failure rate!

Have they bought some lemons? Poor maintenance? Or (most likely), just bad luck?

If you were using the new vehicles on all journeys, they would be Volvo B5TLs with Wright bodywork (new in September 2017). GNE were also, the last I heard, having issues with their initial batch of Streetdecks that they use on their 'Castles Express' X21 between Bishop Auckland and Newcastle.

overthewater

Established Member
https://www.eyms.co.uk/bus-services/service-information-item?id=1537

So EYMS has become Contactless today

No cash, no problem... Contactless payments are coming to a bus near you!

From 28 October 2018 you'll be able to buy singles, returns and day tickets on any EYMS bus using your credit/debit card, Apple Pay or Google Pay.

For weekly and 30 day tickets, buy your tickets from the EYMS Buses app - you can pay using your credit/debit card or Apple Pay, then download your ticket to your smartphone.

(If you'd still rather use cash to buy your bus ticket, no problem - we'll still be accepting cash on the bus).

Got any questions? Have a read below for some FAQs about contactless payments.

How does contactless work?

Contactless is a quick, easy and secure way to pay for your single, return and day tickets on the bus. Instead of saving up your change to pay with cash, simply place your debit/credit card (or your phone, if paying with Apple Pay or Google Pay) on the reader of the ticket machine.

What tickets can I buy using contactless?

You can buy any single, return or day ticket using contactless.

If you want to buy other tickets using your credit/debit card or Apple Pay, download the EYMS Buses app free from the App Store or Google Play, where there are a range of 24 hour, 7 day and 30 day tickets available.

How do I use my contactless card on the bus?

It's easy. Simply board the bus, tell the driver you want to pay with contactless, and ask for whichever single, return or day ticket you want to buy. Place your contactless card (or your phone, if paying with Apple Pay or Google Pay) over the reader, and wait for your ticket to be printed. That's it - take your ticket, and enjoy your journey!

How do I know if my card has contactless?

Simply look for the contactless symbol on your credit or debit card. Most new cards issued by banks nowadays are contactless, but if you're not sure, contact your bank.

Which contactless cards can I use?

Nearly all contactless debit and credit cards can be used to pay, except American Express cards. You can also use Apple Pay via your iPhone or Google Pay on Android phones. Pre-paid contactless cards can also be used.

Can I use Apple Pay or Google Pay to buy my bus ticket?

Yes, we accept phones enabled with Apple Pay or Google Pay, as well as contactless enabled wearables such as watches.

Can I still pay using cash?

Of course you can, cash and coins will still be accepted on our buses.

Will I get a receipt or ticket if I pay with contactless?

Yes, you'll get a ticket issued as normal, which will also act as your receipt.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

Can confirm it's working nicely as I used it today. However, the downfall for the Go4Less card has not gone down very well I gather. For example, EYMS operate a number of (fare charging) school services and there has been some criticism in the press about school children now needing to carry cash again, whereas before their parent would just top up their Go4Less Card periodically. I'm quite surprised that GoAhead haven't just replaced it with one of their own smartcard products. I for one am a little sad about its demise - it was quite an innovative product in its day (I was using it daily as far back as 2002!).

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
Sad news. I have many happy memories of EYMSs navy blue or bright yellow double deckers with their arched roofs shaped to let them pass through Beverley Bar. An end of an era.

Eyersey468

Established Member
Sad news. I have many happy memories of EYMSs navy blue or bright yellow double deckers with their arched roofs shaped to let them pass through Beverley Bar. An end of an era.

Unfortunately Peter Shipp wasn't getting any younger and the only sustainable way forward was for another company to take it over. At least it went to Go Ahead so the EYMS name will live on.

175mph

On Moderation
https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/40274143133

Appears to be a new livery for East Yorkshire. Applied to Enviro400 A17EYC
I'll miss the cream and burgundy livery if they are indeed phasing out that livery. :(

East Yorkshire have a bus painted in 'Humber Fastcat' livery just like the buses Stagecoach normally use for the 350 route between Scunthorpe and Hull. I wonder if that bus will retain the livery?