• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Easter services affected by engineering works

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeylandLen

Easter Sunday is 12 weeks today Sunday April 5th. However looking at NR future engineering works for Easter weekend there seems to be very little work planned, apart from on going London Bridge work , diverted Scotrail sleepers via ECML (obviously a clue that there is work on WCML) and work at Bicester. I presume there is more to come. Obviously after the problems on ECML and Paddington over Xmas , Network Rail wants to get it right. I see no Virgin trains in/out Euston over Easter but nothing on Virgins website . I am a fan of the railways and don't want to see any more adverse publicity !!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Looks like Euston is pretty much London Overground only over the weekend, not even the Birmingham International diversions via Chilterns.

---

If I recall, Reading is going to be hit over Easter weekend

Rich McLean

Established Member
Reading is also blocked over the Easter Period, with WoE trains into Waterloo via Westbury, Salisbury & Basingstoke, and 1tph Bristol - Padd via Oxford, Banbury & Greenford, and 1tph Swansea - Padd, via Oxford, Banbury & Greenford.

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
Reading is also blocked over the Easter Period, with WoE trains into Waterloo via Westbury, Salisbury & Basingstoke, and 1tph Bristol - Padd via Oxford, Banbury & Greenford, and 1tph Swansea - Padd, via Oxford, Banbury & Greenford.

Although strangely not stopping at Salisbury, they must have to go quite slowly through the stations for the speed limit on the curve.

HST Diversion time :)

(I notice on RTT there is Westbury to Reading services running, all station stoppers, would they be Turbos [to avoid having to use SDO at most of the stations and to get into P1/P2 at Reading?]

Last edited:

Established Member
Although strangely not stopping at Salisbury, they must have to go quite slowly through the stations for the speed limit on the curve.

HST Diversion time :)

(I notice on RTT there is Westbury to Reading services running, all station stoppers, would they be Turbos [to avoid having to use SDO at most of the stations and to get into P1/P2 at Reading?]

They didn't stop last time either, and yes the shuttles are normally turbos.

Class 170101

Established Member
Looks like Euston is pretty much London Overground only over the weekend, not even the Birmingham International diversions via Chilterns.

---

If I recall, Reading is going to be hit over Easter weekend

Probably not enough space for Chiltern, FGW and VT to all run via High Wycombe.

rmt4ever

Will Greenford to London all stations still run as normal?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

As Ollie has pointed out they didn't stop at Salisbury on the other two times this diversion operated, and there's really no necessity, because the diverted trains do not supersede the normal timetable - like they do when FGW run west of Yeovil Jn on the singled route.

If they'd ever had to thin out the SWT & FGW existing services through Salisbury to make room a call might have been needed, but at the end of the day its a diversion, not a rail tour.

berneyarms

Established Member

No. See below.

Friday 3 to Monday 6 April

No train services will run between Hayes & Harlington and Didcot Parkway

No train services will run on the Greenford, Windsor & Eton, Marlow and Henley-on-Thames branches

No trains will call at Acton Main Line, West Ealing or Hanwell

Valid rail tickets will be accepted on Transport for London for these stations

No train services will run between Reading and Basingstoke (4 and 5 April only)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Any reason why they can't run trains GFD-PAD

Greenford to West Ealing is one of many routes under possession, as are the reliefs through Acton. The publicly available Engineering Access statement shows something about junction removal at Acton Middle (Crossrail related) but that's not an up to date plan now.

It seems likely the whole area is out of use predominantly down to Crossrail works.

Class 170101

Established Member
In that case then there would be no access to South Greenford so Virgin wouldn't be able to run. Going to be a bit tight on the single line sections between Paddington and West Ruislip though for trains in both directions.

rmt4ever

In that case then there would be no access to South Greenford so Virgin wouldn't be able to run. Going to be a bit tight on the single line sections between Paddington and West Ruislip though for trains in both directions.

Thats what I was thinking

TSR :D

Dropping from 9 tph to 2 tph between Birmingham and London is going to be disaster. It was already bad enough during summer engineering works last year with VT services being diverted via Chiltern main line. Will VT and LM do something to alleviate this?

Does FGW alight/pick up passenegers at Banbury?

berneyarms

Established Member

It's two trains each way an hour - it should be perfectly possible, given there is a loop at Greenford.

Trains will leave Paddington at xx:00 and xx:27.

They will be on the single track between Old Oak Common and Park Royal between xx:06 and xx:08, and xx:33 and xx:35, and between Greenford West and South Ruislip between xx:12 and xx:20 and xx:40 and xx:44.

Inbound trains will be between South Ruislip and Greenford West between xx:02 and xx:05 and xx:31 and xx:35, and between Park Royal and Old Oak Common between xx:13 and xx:15 and xx:42 and xx:45.

Outbound and inbound will cross at the loop at Greenford.

Last edited:

Established Member
Dropping from 9 tph to 2 tph between Birmingham and London is going to be disaster. It was already bad enough during summer engineering works last year with VT services being diverted via Chiltern main line. Will VT and LM do something to alleviate this?

No they don't have a passenger stop at Banbury.

Class 170101

Established Member
It's two trains each way an hour - it should be perfectly possible, given there is a loop at Greenford.

Trains will leave Paddington at xx:00 and xx:27.

They will be on the single track between Old Oak Common and Park Royal between xx:06 and xx:08, and xx:33 and xx:35, and between Greenford West and South Ruislip between xx:12 and xx:20 and xx:40 and xx:44.

Inbound trains will be between South Ruislip and Greenford West between xx:02 and xx:05 and xx:31 and xx:35, and between Park Royal and Old Oak Common between xx:13 and xx:15 and xx:42 and xx:45.

Outbound and inbound will cross at the loop at Greenford.

I know it can be done as Chiltern do it when they divert to Paddington vice Marylebone. Just not much scope for late running.

Normally FGW run in one direction via Park Royal and in the other direction via South Greenford.

Last edited:

louis97

Established Member
I know it can be done as Chiltern do it when they divert to Paddington vice Marylebone. Just not much scope for late running.

Normally FGW run in one direction via Park Royal and in the other direction via South Greenford.

They did the time before last, but not the last time - presumably because of engineering work at Acton, the reason they are not going that way this time.

Rich McLean

Established Member

Yes as they run via West Eailing, however if there is a Block on they wont. Stoppers are running Padd - Hayes
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Nope. Turnback only, except maybe on one or two services

Last edited:

berneyarms

Established Member

I'd say that they'll manage - the single sections are only occupied for 30 minutes each hour.

Yes as they run via West Eailing, however if there is a Block on they wont. Stoppers are running Padd - Hayes
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Nope. Turnback only, except maybe on one or two services

As I posted above - the Greenford branch is shut.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
If VT and LM are only going to Northampton then this will I assume require the mother of all bustitution opperations but to where? Surely not all the way to London? Would 1 way round it be running running XC Shuttles Birmingham Darby or Leicester connecting with dedicated EMT Fasts to STP?↲

LeylandLen

If VT and LM are only going to Northampton then this will I assume require the mother of all bustitution opperations but to where? Surely not all the way to London? Would 1 way round it be running running XC Shuttles Birmingham Darby or Leicester connecting with dedicated EMT Fasts to STP?↲

I dislike bustitution unless its a last resort , esp when there are rail alternatives. Busses never seem to be of a suitable standard and far less legroom ! I cant see why Virgin don't run services Coventry - Leamington Spa ( the Chiltern Voyagers blockade busters run that way ) and suggest passengers change onto Chiltern Railways to Marylebone or inform passengers that its a short walk BHM New Street to Moor Street for connecting frequent services to Marylebone ( I know not suitable for those with luggage).

TSR :D

Looking at timetable, VT trains are either terminating at Rugby or Milton Keynes. LM trains are terminating at Northampton.

I can't see anything special in the timetable for Derby and Leicester.

Class 170101

Established Member
I think the Birmingham to Leicester / Derby service is a suggestion for Virgin to use their Voyagers to connect with MML services.

The better option might be Birmingham, Nuneaton, Wigston Jn and thence to St Pancras but I bet the crews don't sign it and the Voyagers are unlikely to be cleared between Wigston Jn and London.

All that assumes of course you can find paths for these services.

As for the actual plan it involves buses between Hemel Hempstead and Stanmore.

Status
Not open for further replies.