• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Easter Sunday service level vs Boxing Day service level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Just a small correction. The rule to not open on Christmas Day, only applies to shops if Christmas Day falls on a Sunday

That was the position when the Sunday Trading Act 1994 came into effect however the Christmas Day (Trading) Act 2004 prohibits large shops from opening on Christmas Day.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RyanB

I could agree with your point about boxing day but some lines have trains on that day, so it's not possible. I do agree that it's a good time for Network Rail to do some maintenance..

I didn't know shops could open on Christmas day if it's not a Sunday. Do any do that? Must be some who aren't religious out there, who would gladly open. Not that I'd want to visit.

Only places that I know of that open on Christmas Day are Restaurants and some Pubs/Bars. Most shops wouldn't make much money, and would have to shell over far more in terms of wages than they would make in terms of Sales

LAX54

Established Member
Only places that I know of that open on Christmas Day are Restaurants and some Pubs/Bars. Most shops wouldn't make much money, and would have to shell over far more in terms of wages than they would make in terms of Sales

Think our local Budgens opened last Christmas from about 10 until 3pm or so, and I know of at least one store in Colchester that opens most of the day from about 6am to 11 or later, and of course a lot of the garages that have shops attached are now open 24 hours at Christmas.

deltic

Established Member

Depends where you live - our local "corner shops" have been open on Christmas Day for decades - in areas with large numbers of Muslims, Hindus etc virtually all the independent shops are open

al78

Established Member
I didn't know shops could open on Christmas day if it's not a Sunday. Do any do that? Must be some who aren't religious out there, who would gladly open. Not that I'd want to visit.

A few small shops/newsagents will be open, it is just a case of finding them.

Possibly any small stores run by a Jew, as the Jewish do not celebrate Christmas.

Gemz91

Well I found being able to travel to see my parents yesterday useful. If I'd had to go the night before I couldn't have attended the Easter Vigil service in my local church. I don't drive and the government are surely keen that people don't drive to help keep pollution down. Therefore in my opinion they have to provide public transport.

I have the same issue at Christmas but in that case I don't begrudge people have time off and services not running. Not so sure about boxing day though or to be more exact, I don't mind them giving staff boxing day off providing they relax all peak ticketing restrictions on the 27th, so those going to work but unable to travel on the 26th are not penalised financially.

Of course there is an argument which suss there will always be winners and losers and theosers are those who have to or choose to work on the 27th so tough luck.

Handy for you of course, but then those forced to work Easter Sunday are unable to spend time with their families of attend the Easter Vigil if they wish to do so.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Handy for you of course, but then those forced to work Easter Sunday are unable to spend time with their families of attend the Easter Vigil if they wish to do so.
Are they forced to work Easter Sunday? Are people forced to work Sundays too? After all Sundays were meant to traditionally be a 'day of rest'. I use comas there as lots of people actually did work. Think servants.

Gemz91

Are they forced to work Easter Sunday? Are people forced to work Sundays too? After all Sundays were meant to traditionally be a 'day of rest'. I use comas there as lots of people actually did work. Think servants.

I suppose it depends what you mean by forced. Maybe, unable to book the day off work, so either work it, of face disciplinary action.

ComUtoR

Established Member

It really does depend on what you mean by forced.

Sunday is part of my working week and isn't a bank holiday. If I'm booked to work then I have to.

It is contractual and part of my role and responsibilities as an employee. I could always choose another profession.

I think we should charge a bank holiday premium for bank holidays and days like Easter Sunday. That way those who are 'forced' to work so that others can enjoy their day of rest or day of leisure down the beach can be suitably remunerated and not be penalised financially.

Status
Not open for further replies.