• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eastleigh Freight

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneBarker

Hello all

Over the last couple of weeks i have been at Acton Main Line watching freight on a week day which can be busy thanks to Freightmaster , now i am looking at Eastleigh freight , so has anyone been and which is the best day of the week ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Hello all

Over the last couple of weeks i have been at Acton Main Line watching freight on a week day which can be busy thanks to Freightmaster , now i am looking at Eastleigh freight , so has anyone been and which is the best day of the week ?

I use Eastleigh just for catching trains, but there's always a fair number of people there spotting and photting.

There are loads of driver changes at Eastleigh, hence many freights stop in the platforms, there are light engine moves by DB to and from Eastleigh TRSMD, and there are often various Colas and GBRf locos stabled alongside the down loop platform in mid week.

Network Rail NDS services for ballast to and from the stockpile, and welded rail delivery trains are fairly common.

I wouldn't think the different weekday traffic varies that much, but as I say I'm only there waiting for trains.

fgwrich

Established Member
You've also got the various moves in and out of the Works, so this can be anything from DB Cargo and Freightliner with crippled waggons, Colas Rail locos on NDS and Testing Duties, class 442s for storage, Desiros for Overhaul, DRS locos, coaches or wagons for overhaul etc! In short, there's a lot - and that's just a small proportion of what goes through Eastleigh!

D6975

Established Member
i was there yesterday the 5th from 10.45 to 14.30 and saw 19 locos :D

My recent visits confirm that 11:30 - 14:30 appears to be the busiest part of the day for freight. It then quietens down a bit. I expect it picks up again later on after the rush hour but I'm usually gone by 18:00 in order to get home at a reasonable hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.