• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Easy connection route Berks-Yorks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holly

I have an American friend who is coming over to visit in mid March and she will need to travel Bracknell to Huddersfield or Halifax (either is fine) and reverse a few days later.

She is using a Britrail pass which allows unlimited travel (on each day) in first class. So any route, even circuitous is not a problem. Comfortable rolling stock (eg HST) and scenic views would be nice but are not essential.

However, she is a senior citizen travelling with luggage and would have difficulty with anything more than easy connections. That obviously means anything involving London is bad as there are no easy connections on the tube trains for an older person with a big suitcase etc. And she will definitely want to avoid trains that are always overcrowded.

Worst case I suppose it will have to be taxi from Waterloo to Kings Cross, but even that involves more than minimal lugging.

Any suggestions please? I'm not familiar with these routes, I'm from Cheshire.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Grand Central run direct trains to Brighouse (change for Huddersfield) or Halifax, from King's Cross.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
How about the following, on a weekday:

1150 Bracknell-Reading 1210 (South West Trains)

(Not sure about how difficult this change would be to make as there are building works at Reading currently, but the connection time is nice and long so there should be time.)

1241 Reading-Doncaster 1617 (CrossCountry)

(This is an easy cross-platform change.)

1624 Doncaster-Halifax 1739 (Grand Central)

Alternatively, alight at Sheffield at 1550, then take the 1636 to Huddersfield arriving 1750. You may need to cross the bridge though.

W-on-Sea

Established Member
One possibility that immediately springs to mind might be Bracknell - Reading - Sheffield - Huddersfield (- Halifax)

Reading station is slightly chaotic at the moment (major rebuilding), but the connection could either be on the level (walking along most of the length of one platform on the way), or over the footbridge (where lifts are provided)

Holly

building works at Reading currently, but
1241 Reading-Doncaster 1617 (CrossCountry)
(This is an easy cross-platform change.)
1624 Doncaster-Halifax 1739 (Grand Central)
That sounds like a possibility
Thank you!
(please don't let it stop anyone else with a suggestion though. Via Bristol perhaps?).

Anyone know what kind of rolling stock would the Reading-Doncaster part be? (Same for reverse journey I assume).

wintonian

Established Member

(Not sure about how difficult this change would be to make as there are building works at Reading currently, but the connection time is nice and long so there should be time.).

That would involve walking down the whole length of plt 7 (nee 4) which is a absolute nightmare at the moment, the safety of which at rush hour is dubious due to narrow platform. However you wouldn't need to use the lifts or anything but it's still best avoided unless it's very early or very late and accordingly very quiet IMO.

If we must avoid a cross London transfer then I suggest getting a train to Clapham Junction and then using Southern to Milton Keynes, although Clapham can be very busy during the peaks, and the subway is best avoided, though the lifts only go to the over-bridge. Clapham has recently had capacity improvements introduced with new lifts, additional sets of stairs and a refurbished entrance etc. so is much better than it was.

Last edited:

telstarbox

Established Member
One possibility that immediately springs to mind might be Bracknell - Reading - Sheffield - Huddersfield (- Halifax)

Reading station is slightly chaotic at the moment (major rebuilding), but the connection could either be on the level (walking along most of the length of one platform on the way), or over the footbridge (where lifts are provided)

Or Bracknell - Reading - Man Picc - Huddersfield.

The benefit of going via Reading is that it avoids a London transfer. As you probably know, the change at Manchester Piccadilly would be all on one level (ie from one bay platform to another) unless using Plat 13 for the train to Huddersfield.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Also, could the OP phone in advance to book Assistance for their friend at the relevant stations?

Roverman

This may sound a little ostentatious but could she not send some of her luggage 'on ahead' so that shes carrying as little as possible herself?

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
To avoid changing at Reading, why not start with a taxi to Twyford or Maidenhead. Then change at Oxford, Hereford and Manchester Picc enroute to Huddersfield (Voyager Avoidance route) or just Oxford and Manchester?

Veteran Member
Wouldnt Voyager avoidance best be done by heading for one of the CC HSTs at Bristol or Cheltenham Spa (the latter having a same platform connection?).

The Cheltenham trains call at Didcot, which means this could be combined with avoiding Reading.

Sorry, haven't time to check out full details, but the HST diagram is on the forum somewhere

wintonian

Established Member
To avoid changing at Reading, why not start with a taxi to Twyford or Maidenhead. Then change at Oxford, Hereford and Manchester Picc enroute to Huddersfield (Voyager Avoidance route) or just Oxford and Manchester?

Hmm wish I had thought of that Reading avoidance strategy.

I would go with passing through reading and changing at Oxford and avoiding cattle class on a Voyager from there if you so wish.

Goatboy

Established Member
Hmm wish I had thought of that Reading avoidance strategy.

I would go with passing through reading and changing at Oxford and avoiding cattle class on a Voyager from there if you so wish.

She has a First Class ticket so really I don't think there is any specific reason to avoid a Voyager - certainly not chosing Standard Class in an ATW 175 via Hereford over First in a Voyager!

Holly

That's a good suggestion, thank you!
My sister (in Bracknell) could certainly drive my sister-in-law to Twyford station, no problem. Advance sent luggage is good too, you know how Americans are though - we will probably end up advancing luggage and lugging purchases as well :lol:

A friend has suggested using (best guess on 12 March or thereabouts) Bristol 12:30 or 12:39 to Wakefield 15:46 as a core part of the journey.
Would that be an HST train? Or still the much despised Voyager? Oh, and an easy platform change at Bristol. Not that I'm asking a lot (smile).

I appreciate all the good ideas, this forum is great; you fellows really know your stuff. Thank all you contributors. Keep them coming.

While she is in Cheshire I should drive her to Llangollen so she can experience Mk.1 corridor stock. Agatha Christie movie scenes and all that.

Just as a throwaway comment, I hate how much more unpleasant the railways are today than when I used them a lot (in the 1970s). I'm surely not alone in that. Unfortunately we can't turn the clock back and make Britain as it was before we "improved" it so much.

CC 72100

Established Member
A friend has suggested using (best guess on 12 March or thereabouts) Bristol 12:30 or 12:39 to Wakefield 15:46 as a core part of the journey.
Would that be an HST train? Or still the much despised Voyager?

Voyager I believe. Northbound XC HST workings on a Tuesday (the 12th of March is) is 12:23 Plymouth - Edinburgh and 15:23 Plymouth - Leeds, leaving Bristol at 14:30 and 17:30 respectively. To be fair though, if it was first class, I wouldn't worry so much about having to do a voyager at all!

wintonian

Established Member
Voyager I believe. Northbound XC HST workings on a Tuesday (the 12th of March is) is 12:23 Plymouth - Edinburgh and 15:23 Plymouth - Leeds, leaving Bristol at 14:30 and 17:30 respectively. To be fair though, if it was first class, I wouldn't worry so much about having to do a voyager at all!

Agreed, though you won't get much complimentary stuff like you would with Virgin or East Coast.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The way some people are talking makes it sound like a warzone! It's a bit of a mess but if she leaves say 20 minutes it'll be no harder than changing at any other largish station, and there are lifts to all platforms if required.

Starting from Twyford is fine too, it just means longer on a stopping train- the same-platform change at Oxford is a bonus though (and there's now a cafe on platform 2 at Oxford). No reason to avoid Voyagers, not with a first class ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.