• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Easy to drive train sim

Status
Not open for further replies.

M7R

Back in the day I had a PC copy of train sim, can’t remember which one but it going back a fair few years.

I didn’t play it much but I do remember there was an easy mode for want of a better way of putting it, where you could get in a train and basically there was an accelerate and a brake buttons and that was about it provided you didn’t SPAD or over shoot the platforms.

My little lad has seen the advert for Train Sim 2020 on the back of one of the magazines, is there a simpler mode in the Xbox version? As I can’t see my little lad sticking with it if he has to do all the get in, key in, start this, reset that, count to 5... etc etc, he is only 6, but is pretty handy with the computer games.

Aside from that is it any good in general?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter C

Established Member
I assume you mean Train Sim World 2020. The game is pretty much exactly the same on the PC as Xbox, and I don't know of any simple options. If he wants a simple Train Sim game, go with TS2019 ("TS Classic"). Then you can set the controls to simple (literally just a click button for the reverser and a slider for power/brakes). With the current version, you get the Portsmouth Direct Line (WAT-PMH) with the sim, and that is good enough to keep someone interested for a while. If you want to watch some videos of this kind of Train Sim, watch the videos I've linked below from IC82, a very popular railway YouTuber (he focused on model railways but also made some TS videos). He doesn't do the most professional job of driving a train, but it will make you giggle! :)

-Peter

Videos:

EDIT:
I notice he has also made a video of TSW, so you may want to watch that as well. The link I provided was supposed to take you to a playlist of his TS videos. Note that they are from 2014-2016 and will not necessarily be reflective of TS2019, and for more up-to-date TS2019 videos watch Moleman978, who also doesn't upload any more.

M7R

Ahh okay thanks for that I’ll look into the classic one, should keep his nibs quiet if he is busy driving the train.

Peter C

Established Member
Ahh okay thanks for that I’ll look into the classic one, should keep his nibs quiet if he is busy driving the train.
You are welcome. :)

For £20 (probably slightly less in the upcoming Steam Halloween sale) it is worth it considering each route you get with it is sold for over that amount each and you get 3 of them! ;)
There is also a lot of free stuff for TS2019, so you won't have to break the bank. :)

-Peter

Peter C

Established Member
Are any of these available for Mac? Without emulators and faffing about?
TS2020 (TS2019 updated a week or two ago) is available from Steam, which should be available on all devices (download it from their website, linked below).
Just download Steam, buy TS2020, and load it up. You will almost certainly change the graphics settings, though, unless your machine is the absolute best there is.

-Peter

(Steam link: https://store.steampowered.com/ ) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.