• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EC rewards ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Hi all,
I have a Std free return ticket to use with East Coast, with their reward system.

Quick question- could I book it (day trip on a Saturday) and then upgrade to FC each way using Weekend First?

I may just book Yrk to Edb, or Lds to Kgx.
Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
I have been enjoying several journeys with East Coast' 'Rewards' and am aware that there are relatively strict conditions attached, but I am not currently aware of one that precludes a holder of a Standard Class 'Rewards' ticket from buying a 'Weekend First' upgrade.

What I will say, is that unless the service is unpleasantly crowded or noisy in all the Standard coaches, then the Weekend service in first is not impressive and is only likely to guarantee you a table, free juice or water and free sandwich.

calc7

Established Member
To add to DaveNewcastle's comments, using such a ticket on a relatively quiet weekend service would be a waste IMO. On the Leeds to London route there are many supremely cheap tickets, especially at the weekends. This too applies to First Class. £25 is very steep for such a mediocre upgrade.

You're better off saving it for when you may need to make some peak/shoulder-peak weekday journeys (though as I'm sure you're away, you cannot get Rewards tickets to show on all trains). They are valid for 6 months after all.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Thanks for the replies.

I don't know why, but I thought York to Edinburgh would be £15 each way. I wouldn't think about paying £25, i'd rather stick to a standard seat if that's the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.