• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ecclesbourne Valley Railway 2017 Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Oaks

The Ecclesbourne Valley Railway is planning for a much busier year. The first major project completed is the removal of the "Dust Dock", built 50 years ago to take deliveries of limestone dust produced by quarries along the Cromford & High Peak Rly and enable closure of that line. The massive retaining wall snapped off cleanly about 2 feet above rail level, a neat start for the proposed platform extension.

Construction of the Down Platform at Shottle is well advanced and the steelwork for the maintenance facility is being erected.

LMS 3F No. 47406 is booked to visit over the summer between May and August.

There will be an Open Day for prospective volunteers on Saturday 18th February, with guided tours and half price travel (£5) for anyone buying membership of the Supporters Association on the day.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RichmondCommu

Established Member
The Ecclesbourne Valley Railway is planning for a much busier year. The first major project completed is the removal of the "Dust Dock", built 50 years ago to take deliveries of limestone dust produced by quarries along the Cromford & High Peak Rly and enable closure of that line. The massive retaining wall snapped off cleanly about 2 feet above rail level, a neat start for the proposed platform extension.

Construction of the Down Platform at Shottle is well advanced and the steelwork for the maintenance facility is being erected.

LMS 3F No. 47406 is booked to visit over the summer between May and August.

There will be an Open Day for prospective volunteers on Saturday 18th February, with guided tours and half price travel (£5) for anyone buying membership of the Supporters Association on the day.

Sounds good :) Is the Jinty running everyday between May and August?

Tim Oaks

Not every day; the locomotive is booked to work around 30 days at present - the detailed timetable is on the EVR website.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Exciting plans indeed, I went on that line a few years ago and enjoyed it very much. The staff were great, very welcoming. It's nice it links up with the MML too.

xc170

I did this line in May last year, nice little route but was disappointed with the lack of photo opportunities at Wirksworth, mainly down to clutter everywhere... I'll certainly re-visit though.

nferguso

I did this line in May last year, nice little route but was disappointed with the lack of photo opportunities at Wirksworth, mainly down to clutter everywhere... I'll certainly re-visit though.

If you consider what we had to deal-with when we started, I hope you will understand why we have had to contend with a fair deal of clutter:

18835251116_8850598807_b.jpg

In just the past month we have removed this monstrosity and this both opens-up the site and presents the opportunity for us to develop the station.

y3mv6xquVQV40EO0cL4_dRWzqM-fNvD8QA8gk7l8fpDv1ij3z6OCwbQ71fNvN61ymlFxho2RNO_SQ6dvXytbpsdog2kKoNAvf1KBcUB-LjJYkeEEa0jZ87kZDI6Opn6uIfU1CHXnGtpG723-BjyQwOZzl9813ee_vmP0HjFxcCorrE

This work alone cost us over £20k, so a modest donation to our funds would help us remove this clutter faster.

Regards,

Neil

Last edited:

xc170

Had a rare day to my self yesterday so decided to visit the EVR, I have to say, on a sunny, quiet afternoon, the railway certainly has a nice atmosphere, got some lovely photos at Wirksworth too this time.

Credit to the volunteer on the 14:10 train from Duffield giving us a running commentry for the majority of the line, nice touch!

Ecclesbourne Valley 101/108

Ecclesbourne Valley 101/108

nferguso

Had a rare day to my self yesterday so decided to visit the EVR, I have to say, on a sunny, quiet afternoon, the railway certainly has a nice atmosphere, got some lovely photos at Wirksworth too this time.

Credit to the volunteer on the 14:10 train from Duffield giving us a running commentry for the majority of the line, nice touch!

Hi xc170,

Delighted you came to Wirksworth on Saturday and that you had such a good time too. Those pictures are smashing too - may I nick them please?

As a general remark: if anybody from the Forum is coming to the EVR, let me know and if I'm around I shall try and come and say hello.

Kind regards,

Neil

xc170

Hi xc170,

Delighted you came to Wirksworth on Saturday and that you had such a good time too. Those pictures are smashing too - may I nick them please?

As a general remark: if anybody from the Forum is coming to the EVR, let me know and if I'm around I shall try and come and say hello.

Kind regards,

Neil

Yeah, feel free to use them. (PM me an email adress if you want full size originals, they've been resized and compressed for Flickr, originals are 100mb TIFF images)

When and where does Iris usually make an apperance? Wouldn't mind a ride on a Derby Lightweight, thanks.

Tim Oaks

It is the diesel gala next weekend and the roster details are set out on the main EVR website. The website for the Ecclebourne150 event is now up and running. It has some interesting vintage photos. The concreting of the new shed floor is due to begin this week and two huge yellow machines have arrived for yet another testing contract; I'm not sure if they will still be there next weekend.
The Ecclesbourne150 website is : https://ecclesbourne150.org

xc170

Came to the diesel gala on Saturday, good day all round, despite the weather!

Did the 31 in both directions and the 101 on the incline, 20 minutes at Ravensor in the rain was not one of my better ideas so I found a nice cosy pub in Wirksworth to warm up and dry off in.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The old 31 surrounded by all that new brick looks rather good for some reason.

xc170

The old 31 surrounded by all that new brick looks rather good for some reason.

I'm quite pleased with how this one came out, it was raining heavily and the sky was blown out, half an hour in Lightroom has given me a half decent image :D

Edit - managed to rescue another photo

Last edited:

nferguso

Hot on the heels of the successful diesel gala, the EVR has just launched its 2017 poster based on a photograph taken by photographer J.C. Flemens at Idridgehay in 1947.

33596315325_e6b7954b4b_b.jpg

RichmondCommu

Established Member
Headed up to Derbyshire last weekend and noticed the signals and signal box at Shottle station. Any ideas as to when the signals will be in use as the signal box is clearly not yet operational.

Tim Oaks

The signals are already operational from ground frames, which requires three staff at Shottle and there are a number of days in the timetable when there will be two passenger trains running on the branch, which never happened in the past. One example:

East Midlands Trains Second Generation Class 153 to visit Wirksworth for the Multiple Memories Railcar Gala on 13th/14th May. There will be a short naming ceremony on the Saturday morning at Wirksworth Station as the unit is named "Ecclesbourne Valley Railway 150 Years" to commemorate our celebratory year, before it operates services through the weekend alongside our award winning fleet of First Generation units.

The weekend will provide a special opportunity to see East Midlands Trains rolling stock on both sides of the fence at Duffield as well as a chance to compare the Class 153 with the original Class 122 which they replaced. Single car Derby Lightweight 'Iris' will also be in action allowing visitors to ride on three single car DMUs during the weekend!

The weekend will also be the first time a 'Sprinter' class of unit has operated between Duffield and Wirksworth since the Class 150 and 151 units which operated The Wirksworth Phoenix trains in 1985 when they were new.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Presumably the 153 is being roaded in rather than the line being reconnected at Duffield?

Tim Oaks

Things are developing quickly at EVR, but not quite as fast as that! It will be coming in by road.

Kneedown

Established Member
It'll be strange seeing a 153 in the wrong platform at Duffield!

It'll be strange heading up to Ravenstor on one. Last time I was there it was propelling a train of HTV's towards the quarry with a 47. That'd be 88-89 time.

xc170

Step back in time...

I should probably create my own thread for these photos instead of hijacking this one!

Status
Not open for further replies.