• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ecclesbourne Valley Railway 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Oaks

The preparations for the new season are in full swing, particularly the Diesel gala on 17/18 March and the visit of Warship Class "Onslaught". Wirksworth station buffet has been re-equipped inside for, among other things, the mass delivery of bacon butties. The relaying of track down at Duffield is complete and a tamper from Stobart Rail has spent several days on a testing/training visit, to our mutual benefit.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

xc170

Visited a couple of times last year and was really impressed every time.

I was hoping to make it to the volunteer event last Saturday but I had to work unfortunately, shame as I was hoping to have a look around the yard.

nferguso

We are just hours now from the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway's Diesel Weekend and we have quite a line-up!

D832 has arrived from the East Lancashire Railway and 08704 from Nemesis Rail in Burton, while resident locomotives 33103 and 31206 will also be in attendance.

We are operating an intensive service and you can get all the details here:

https://www.e-v-r.com/dieselweekend/
If you want details of service on the day (or any day) use our new smartphone-optimised site: http://www.trains2wirksworth.co.uk/

In the meantime, here are a few shots to whet your appetite!

40829548941_fd6142eb8b_c.jpg

40829414561_e7d024a2c9_c.jpg

Ash Bridge

Established Member
....and a decent pie & a pint when we visited the EVR last year.

Attachments

• IMG_3379.JPG
    IMG_3379.JPG
    719.5 KB · Views: 22

Tim Oaks

Not much snow this morning - hardly any showing on the webcams, but wrap up warm. My brake van should be on the incline run and has a decent logburner in it. First job when I get there will be to fire it up.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Very useful Pub map above, I may be going there on a railbased holiday end June/early July, will print out the map and show it to the organiser.

Tim Oaks

D832 will be operating this weekend. By popular demand, especially from those who could not make it to the gala, there will be an extra evening train worked by the 08 leaving Wirksworth at 18-15.

Tim Oaks

A busy week in Wirksworth Station Yard with three coaches going out for tyre turning and coming back in again. Two more coaches are the subject of intense activity in the shed. A surprise arrival was class 31 No 31601 which turned up on Thursday, "for its summer holidays". Many of the visitors to the Diesel gala commented how much the ride on the track had improved; this is the result of an enormous amount of work by Mike Fairburn and the track gang.

We have been going through our stocks of PW material and it looks like we have some surplus items which may be of use, especially to smaller railways planning to lay sidings. Some time ago we took out a single slip in Wirksworth Yard; the components are worn but ought to give satisfactory service in a storage siding; in effect, two 7 1/2 crossings plus two pairs of switches which are the equivalent of B switches, i.e. parts for two turnouts. We can supply some worn rails for making closures, check and plain chairs fishplates and small components to make up the kit of parts. There is also a quantity of worn Midland rail in 30ft lengths. All sold "as seen". We would be looking for something more than scrap value, but a lot less than the merchants price. It should be possible to put together one perhaps two twenty ton loads each containing enough steel work to create one short siding.

Tim Oaks

Class 73 No.210 has recently been delivered to Wirksworth. The 2018 Multiple memories Gala is rapidly approaching: 19th/20th May and will feature a visiting W&M 4 wheel railbus from the Ribble Steam Railway

xc170

Class 73 No.210 has recently been delivered to Wirksworth. The 2018 Multiple memories Gala is rapidly approaching: 19th/20th May and will feature a visiting W&M 4 wheel railbus from the Ribble Steam Railway

Been looking forward to it since last year!

Just noticed the 3 car green 101 is operating as a two car, do you know why?

trash80

Established Member
I'm so looking forward to the W&M railbus, i started building an old Airfix model of it last year, hopefully seeing the real thing will spur me onto finally finishing it!

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I'm so looking forward to the W&M railbus, i started building an old Airfix model of it last year, hopefully seeing the real thing will spur me onto finally finishing it!

Those little railbuses are good. I am not sure if it is the same one, but a year or so ago I was on the KWVR in West Yorkshire and they had a single railbus unit, the passenger door was in the centre of it. I was told that the unit used to spend its working life in and around East Anglia in the 1950s and 1960s.

All being well I shall be visiting the Ecclesbourne Railway in a few months time. Been there before and looking forward to my next visit.

nat67

Established Member
Why has 73210 been dropped off for, is it also staying for the summer.

Tim Oaks

73210 is on a long term visit. The power unit was run up a few weeks ago, I believe it will get a repaint before going into traffic.

The Waggon & Maschinenbau railbus is visiting from Ribble Steam Railway, it was one of the pair at the North Norfolk Railway. One of the KWVR examples used to work the Buxton - Millersdale service in the sixties.

Tim Oaks

The Multiple Memories DMU gala was a great success, about 15% up on last year. The W & M railbus was the star of the show but has now gone. However, 3F No.47406 has arrived for the Summer and will enter traffic this weekend; special offer for the Bank Holiday Weekend: accompanied children travel free. Meanwhile Dan Smith and the carriage team have been very busy and the first of the overhauled brake coaches should be ready for the cream tea service at the start of June.

E759

What a delightful railway and a very special day out at the MM DMU Gala. Many thanks to all volunteers and staff.

I loved the unit reshuffling at the end of each run resulting in different combinations. The First Class upgrades for £1 one-way were nice. Some very plush seats not at all like the ironing boards we're supposed to have, but barely do, down in Horsham.

The incline up to Ravenstor, had to stop myself calling it Ravenclaw, adds an extra dimension to operation. Highlight was standing at the stop of the incline after a spirited run up watching a buzzard circling above us.

Whilst I didn't find time to visit any pubs, tbh I've only just noticed the pub guide up-thread, I did take a run up to Matlock. Now that's a route that really takes your breath away.

Again, thanks to everyone and best wishes for a successful season.

duffield

Established Member
Probably worth mentioning for anyone planning on visiting the EVR via National Rail and changing at Duffield that the relevant services (i.e. Newark->Nottingham->Derby->Matlock services) are going to be significantly disrupted due to the Derby Station works starting 22nd July - specifically, the Matlock services will only run between Derby and Matlock 30th July to 24th August, and will be replaced by buses 25th August to 7th October.

E759

Thanks for the reminder as I would like to use the railway to get to Peak Rail. Kinda puts the kibosh on the Shunter Bashers Ball 1-2 September for those of us coming from afar unless the RRB can be relied upon?

duffield

Established Member
Kinda puts the kibosh on the Shunter Bashers Ball 1-2 September for those of us coming from afar unless the RRB can be relied upon?

Should be OK at the weekend, just have to arrive at Derby a bit earlier for the RRB. It only takes 20mins vs 10 mins on the train to Duffield.
Don't think realtime trains can be relied on yet - it's currently showing two buses an hour plus trains for 1st September! If you do actually get 2 buses an hour it might turn out more convenient than the trains...

E759

Thank you duffield, I can see an exciting journey opportunity as they say down here in ThamesLink Fantasy Land: Train to Derby, bus to Duffield, train to Wirksworth, bus to Matlock then train to Rowsley

Tim Oaks

Another 08 shunter has arrived - 08605. Work has started on the base of the signal box at Shottle; the railway has recently purchased a mini digger which will be used on this project and for many drainage improvement tasks. The first of the Mk 1 brake coaches has now entered traffic.

Status
Not open for further replies.