• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ECML Blocked - Wires down at Retford

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickswift99

Currently trying to get North but not going anywhere. RTT showing lots of southbound services cancelled. Long queue of northbound services beyond Peterborough.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

83G/84D

Established Member
It would appear that 0708 King's Cross to York was involved (91110).

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I'm on 1S09 which is the 09:00 ex Kings Cross to Edinburgh, we're currently sitting at Peterborough held in platform two (should have departed here 09:46). Currently showing 15 overdue.

1N09 which was the 08:30 ex Kings Cross to Newcastle is also sitting here at Peterborough, held in platform four (should have departed here 09:16). Currently showing 56 overdue. It arrived on time!

No estimated times for departure.

Update: Passengers on 1S09 have just been transferred onto 1N81 (09:08 ex KGX), HST service to be diverted. Passengers for destinations north of York to change there for connections. I'm very lucky to have legged it across the bridge to 1N81 and have managed to get a seat. It also seems that First Class complementary service has been withdrawn on 1N81... Menus have just been collected! Diverting to avoid Retford. First Class declassified on 1N81.

Last edited:

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
1D06 is showing 112 late still at Peterborough; 1N81 currently diverting via Lincoln having just left Newark North Gate.

Master29

Established Member
Must be OK now as all seems fine at Skelton Bridge on York railcam

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Must be OK now as all seems fine at Skelton Bridge on York railcam
The issue isn't at York.

Trains are unable to run between Retford and Doncaster until approximately 14:00. "Trains between Grantham and Doncaster will be diverted via Lincoln Central or cancelled." Rail replacement bus services are running between Retford and Doncaster. (Source: NRE)

Where possible services are being diverted via Lincoln Central, else services are being cancelled.

Major disruption to services is expected until the close of service.

TP

Last edited:

NeilWatson

Is traffic being diverted at Doncaster via Spalding, to Peterborough and onwards where stock permits?

96tommy

HST's only between Donny and Kings Cross, via Lincoln one presumes. Hasn't been a NB since around 09:00.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Causing train 91110 just left Donny behind 67023 in service to York

66Yorks

Does anyone know the cause of the wires coming down? It seems to occur a lot in that region.

najaB

Veteran Member
Does anyone know the cause of the wires coming down? It seems to occur a lot in that region.
Conventional wisdom is that it is the use of headspans rather than portals. So when one wire comes down it brings the whole lot down.

66Yorks

Apologies but could you explain the use of headspans?
Does that imply a single column rather than a portal frame carrying the wires?

dgl

Established Member
Apologies but could you explain the use of headspans?

Does that imply a single column rather than a portal frame carrying the wires?

Masts each side with the wires attached to a wire that is stretched between the masts, damage that wire and it all comes Down.

Crossover

Established Member

66Yorks

Many thanks, explains everything. :D

Is it possible therefore that a train can bring the wires down or is it generally a failure within the OHLE structure.

Domh245

Established Member
Many thanks, explains everything. :D

Is it possible therefore that a train can bring the wires down or is it generally a failure within the OHLE structure.

The wires won't usually fall down by themselves, so it tends to be the passing of a train that initiates the failure. The problem comes from that design (mk3) seemingly being more prone to failure than others, and of course, there is then the problem that being a headspan - once one wire goes down, they all go down.

gavin

@Virgin_TrainsEC

Damage to wires worse than expected. Lines affected will be blocked until at least 1600.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Really frustrating sitting on a 120 Min late Aberdeen service which is very overcrowded when I watched an empty VSTP 1F15 leave York carry little other than fresh air… hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I wish I had travelled to York on 1N81 rather than bailing at Doncaster as we were advised to. We've just left Newcastle with 1F15 ten minutes ahead of us.

By the time I realised that 1F15 was sitting there and it was the service shown on the Live Departure Boards it was way too tight to risk a connection.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Virgin Trains East Coast said:
Overhead wire problems near Retford mean that trains will be unable to run between Retford and Doncaster until approximately 15:00.

Trains between Grantham and Doncaster will be diverted via Lincoln Central or cancelled.

Buses are running between Retford and Doncaster.

The line is expected to reopen at 15:00, however delays can be expected until the end of service.

Alternative travel options

Grand Central passengers may use:

East Midlands Trains between London St Pancras International and Sheffield
CrossCountry between Sheffield and Doncaster
Virgin Trains East Coast, Northern and TransPennine Express on any reasonable route.

Hull Trains passengers may use:

Virgin Trains East Coast on any reasonable routes.

Virgin Trains East Coast passengers may use:

CrossCountry between Sheffield and Newcastle
East Midlands Trains between London St Pancras International and Sheffield. Details of alternative routes via London St Pancras International can be found here.
Great Northern between London kings Cross and Peterborough
TransPennine Express between Manchester and Leeds / York / Newcastle
Virgin Trains services between London Euston and Scotland / Manchester. Details of alternative routes via London Euston can be found here.

Details of all alternative routes available can be found here.

Advance ticket restrictions have been lifted for the rest of the day and passengers with tickets dated for today may travel on tomorrows services.

You can follow this incident using the hashtag #Retford
If you experience a delay in completing your journey because of this disruption, you may be entitled to compensation

www.virgintrainseastcoast.com/travel-information/travel-alerts/#serviceupdates

sarahj

Established Member
Wires come down for 2 main reasons. Wind, or trains making the wires swing, panto then looses contact and gets caught up, then pulls it all down.
Or. Panto. Worn or damaged carbon strip, gets caught.
Modern systems should have a panto damage kit, where, when it goes wrong, it drops.

Here is a video of a panto being damaged and then trashing the overhead. (in germany)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgCPPeYmyKw

I was working on 0803 IPS-PBO, we were ourselves 20 late due to track circuit failure at Thurston, spent the whole trip to PBO sorting out northbound connections because there was "no way" people were going to make the 0952 Leeds :lol:

As far as I'm aware it was still waiting to access PBO when I rolled back into Ipswich! Oops. At least they all made the connection!

nickswift99

So having had a complete failure to get to Leeds today, there's a few things I'd like to share.

Firstly, every rail employee I met - VTEC, Hull Trains, Northern Rail and East Midlands Trains were brilliant. In spite of very difficult circumstances it was a pleasure to see everyone trying their best. If you were involved today, please accept my thanks from a grateful passenger who in spite of your best efforts never got to his intended destination.

To VTEC, your online train progress web page really sucks. Sat outside Peterborough for over an hour with a web page that says there are no disruptions really isn't good enough in the 21st century. As often happens in a major failure, it was evident that the people on the ground were working in an information vacuum.

Finally, the Hull Trains person at Doncaster was really on the ball. Unfortunately all the trains he was expecting didn't turn up but he was extremely proactive. If anyone knows who he is or can at least tell me how Hull Trains might identify him, please PM me as I'd like to write to his employers.

Status
Not open for further replies.