ECML closed PBO to KGX Aug Bank Holiday routing

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by Metal_gee_man, 4 Jun 2019.

1. cuccir

cuccir Established Member

I'm somewhat astonished that the EPL and EFL have arranged Spurs v Newcastle Utd, Sunderland v Wimbledon and Middlesbrough v Millwall for that weekend. I know it's been debated on here time and time again and I'm not sure at which end the blame lies, but there's a major failure in communication between the football leagues and the TOCs.

2. FQTV

FQTV Member

For those following this thread who do need to travel on the Bank Holiday Monday, reservations have opened this morning for the LNER services that will (or are planned to) run that day to and from King's Cross.

3. SC43090

SC43090 Member

There is never a good time to do this work but as Network Rail wanted a 2 day blockade with no trains in the area between Peterborough & KX why was it not considered for Christmas Day / Boxing day when there are no trains operating on the ECML at all which wouldn't affected anybody.....

The fact that Network Rail only told rest of the public / stakeholders 3 weeks ago is not good enough....... There as been an urgent question in the House of Commons by a Bradford MP also The Northern Power House minster MP Jake Berry as got involved describing the situation as a disgrace

SC 43090

4. Ianno87

Ianno87 Established Member

...because some other major work may need the possessions/resources those two days? Or the next stage of King's Cross work needs to happen here, to follow on from the August work?

5. hwl

hwl Established Member

1. Another delay to the whole ECML upgrades.
    2. Euston and Southern WCML has lots of HS2 related work booked for Christmas for more than those 2 days, only one of ECML and WCML is closed at time.
    3. August BH is traditionally an ECML slot
    4. Availability of signalling engineers

6. 800001

800001 Member

Network Rail have been tweeting about closures for months, posters at stations, am sure I read it in my local paper several (7-8) weeks ago.

7. 43055

43055 Member

East Midlands trains have amended times for the bank holiday weekend on the website. The main changes are:
    No services north of Sheffield including Scarborough and Leeds services.
    Bedford and Luton are set down only southbound and pick up northbound.
    Nottingham slows do not call at Luton Airport and Bedford.

8. 800002

800002 Member

It may not be relevant (yet), but having seen about lner opening reservations - the Hull Trains services to G / from st pancras are still showing Unadvertised Express and are in fact Q paths. I can't work out why this would be the case, given the diminishing time scale involved.

Any ideas / thoughts?

9. cactustwirly

cactustwirly Established Member

Hmm that does look like a tight squeeze, normally trains are booked to use all 4 platforms at STP, especially as that time, both 1 and 3 are blocked by HST sets

10. SC43090

SC43090 Member

I understand the reason for NO trains is between Peterborough & KX is so they can transfer KX SIgnal box to York ROG?????

SC 43090

11. SC43090

SC43090 Member

Iv'e only seen posters at Doncaster / Leeds in the last 3 weeks......

As i have said in previous post Network Rail have admitted they didn't tell all of the stake holders & are saying we must do better next time informing the stakeholders.....

SC 43090

12. SC43090

SC43090 Member

The last time when the ECML southern end was closed was a few Christmases ago when the engineering works over ran..... Last August Bank Holiday 2018 London Euston was Shut all Bank Holiday weekend......

13. Fred26

Fred26 Member

This isn't the last blockade on the line in relation to the KGX platform extensions/tunnel reopening etc. There's more work at Christmas.
    Internally I've seen a brief that shows the dates of all the blockades for these works.

14. The Planner

The Planner Established Member

It won't be from now on, LNW will move out the way for Kings Cross.

15. Class 170101

Class 170101 Established Member

Will be interesting if HS2 gets the final go ahead though. Trying to fit it all in

16. Ianno87

Would imagine the required posessions (for at least the next couple of years) are already booked in on thr assumption final go ahead is received.

17. The Planner

The Planner Established Member

HS2 will need very few all line blocks at Euston, just high side which is the normal 2 track railway timetable if that happens. They will have to mess about with Line X at some point which will probably be the worst.

18. attics26

attics26 Member

and replace Newark flat crossing and trackwork at St Neots

19. Julia

Julia Member

Any changes to layout at St Neots or just renewals?

20. rickydoodles

rickydoodles New Member

I booked my tickets a couple of months ago, it is mine & the wifes 25th wedding anniversary on Tuesday 27th, have booked to go from Nottingham on Sunday 25th 1030am to St Pancras.. i hope it is running as i have booked a hotel for 3 days & a show for the Sunday night & Monday night.. everything is booked & there was nothing on the site when i booked it about disruptions on the bank holiday weekend, bloody nightmare.. :frown:

21. ainsworth74

ainsworth74 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Trains from Nottingham to St Pancras go via the Midland Mainline and so are not directly affected by the closure on the East Coast Mainline. However they will be busier than normal due to passengers displaced from their usual routes. If a journey planner such as National Rail Enquiries is showing your train as running at this stage (and it does) I would be confident that it will run as planned (obviously unless there some other disruption like a signal failure or a break down) and your anniversary should be unaffected!

22. Aictos

Aictos On Moderation

That’s what I like to know as to replacing the flat crossing at Newark i guess that’s just a renewal?

23. rickydoodles

rickydoodles New Member

Yes i rang them this morning, Nottingham train is running to St Pancras, it starts in Nottingham so we will be one of the 1st on the train, it might get busy at Grantham, with the passengers wanting Kings Cross getting on our train..

24. ainsworth74

ainsworth74 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

The 1030 from Nottingham doesn't go via Grantham? So I'm not sure if some confusion has arisen!

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/C84023/2019/08/25

25. rickydoodles

rickydoodles New Member

It is what the woman told me on the phone this morning, i don't know what the stops are personally, as long as we get there, so it looks like we are good to go anyway. :smile:

26. duffield

duffield Member

There may be a number of extra passengers coming in *from* Grantham to join the train at Nottingham to get to London.
    These trains typically sit at Nottingham for around 30mins before departure so it's probably a good idea to get there early to make sure someone doesn't pinch your reserved seats. It'll *probably* be fine, *probably* not many extra passengers from Grantham - but it won't do any harm to get to Nottingham station at (say) 10:00 to be sure.

27. 59CosG95

59CosG95 Established Member

Not 100% sure, but the upgraded switchgear at Little Barford Feeder Station has yet to be fully installed & commissioned. Work may well be going on that weekend to install/commission it, and would require an isolation if so. Track renewals may also be in the offing.

Yes, the signals currently controlled by King's Cross PSB will be recontrolled to York ROC during that time; although Peterborough PSB is unaffected for the time being, all services between Peterborough and Sandy (the southern limit of Peterborough PSB's signalling area) pass through the King's Cross signalling area.

28. Ianno87

Spotted notices up at Cambridge station today; due to the expected busy-ness of trains, Greater Anglia are permitting only folding bikes on their services on 24/25th August.

Will grab the popcorn to watch the inevitable arguments unfold...

29. pt_mad

pt_mad Established Member

The West Coast Mainline has had blockades where Euston Or Watford has been closed quite a few times over the last few years from what I can remember. Even this year. Summer bank hol left vacant so the East Coast has a slot. The West Coast has had one part or another shut at Summer bank hol many a time before. They choose statistically quieter times to do the work measured by passenger numbers rather than how busy the railway seems visually.

30. Class 170101

Class 170101 Established Member

Interestingly the ECML seems busier than the WCML at weekends in my limited experience.