• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ECML Delays - Fatality at Alexandra Palace

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/sa46d8e54c9847caab0705c79c3d0e87/details.html

Incident created 30/03/2012 16:40 Route affected Download map of route afected London Kings Cross / Moorgate, Alexandra Palace, Potters Bar, Hatfield, Welwyn Garden City, Stevenage, Sandy, Peterborough, Grantham and Newark North Gate
TOC(s) affected East Coast, First Capital Connect, First Hull Trains, Grand Central DescriptionA person has been hit by a train near Alexandra Palace.
Because of this, there are delays of up to 90 minutes between London Kings Cross / Moorgate and Stevenage. There is no current estimate for when a normal service will resume.
Trains may be diverted via Hertford North where required.
Ticket acceptance

• Passengers may use East Coast, First Capital Connect, First Hull Trains and Grand Central services on all reasonable routes

• East Coast passengers may use CrossCountry, East Midlands Trains, First Transpennine Express, ScotRail and Virgin Trains services on any reasonable route

• First Capital Connect passengers may use Greater Anglia and London Underground services on any reasonable route

To find out whether this will impact your journey and to get alternative options planned for you, please use the National Rail Enquiries real-time Journey Planner, or call TrainTracker on 0871 200 49 50.

In addition the 1746 arrival at Kings Cross from Hull terminated at Grantham earlier causing minor delays. Presumably 1850 to Hull will be cancelled but it's not showing as cancelled at present.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mike C

I just came through it. Diverted via Hertford North. Added about 35 to 40 minutes to journey. Station was fine when I left it. There was a train half in and half out the tunnel after Alexandra Palace on the down fast not going anywhere. Hertford loop very busy as one would expect.

Retorus

I was on the 16:40 KGX-PBO service and managed to get to Alexandra Palace before it all came to a standstill, fortunately we came to a halt before the Hertford branch line so we were able to divert. A 91 was poking halfway out the tunnel on the down fast so I assume that was the train involved. A large number of confused looks at Hertford North as a 365 and 91 slowly crawled past!

Mike C

I was on the 16:40 KGX-PBO service and managed to get to Alexandra Palace before it all came to a standstill, fortunately we came to a halt before the Hertford branch line so we were able to divert. A 91 was poking halfway out the tunnel on the down fast so I assume that was the train involved. A large number of confused looks at Hertford North as a 365 and 91 slowly crawled past!

I was on that train too. Leading coach of second set!

Established Member
WNXX has been reporting the number of fatalities this year, and it is almost one per day.

dk1

Veteran Member
Excellent service recovery. You would hardly know anything had occured. Almost a full frantic Friday service operating on East Coast now. School holidays next week & very very busy earlier this afternoon when i used the Southern part of the ECML.

philjo

Established Member
I was waiting at Potters Bar. Nothing had moved in either direction for about 40 minutes. Was just thinking about getting the bus to Cockfosters for the Piccadilly line to Finsbury Park when a 313 turned up from New Barnet at 17:25 unnanounced & stopped. It went all stations to WGC.
EC services started passing us around Hatfield. The train I was on eventually left WGC as a stopper service to Stevenage where it terminated & formed a southbound stopping service to Moorgate via Hertford.

Aictos

Established Member
I just came through it. Diverted via Hertford North. Added about 35 to 40 minutes to journey. Station was fine when I left it. There was a train half in and half out the tunnel after Alexandra Palace on the down fast not going anywhere. Hertford loop very busy as one would expect.

Train actually involved was on the Up Fast at New Southgate, was a Up Leeds which was involved.

Mike C

Now there is an overhead line problem at Alexandra Palace...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Train actually involved was on the Up Fast at New Southgate, was a Up Leeds which was involved.

Yes, I think the down express was halted just past the point of diversion.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Oh God !

Came back on the 1645 Leeds - KGX , fearing the worst - but did very well and was in around 1915 or so - the concourse was not at all having , and the departure boards showed pretty well right time.

I await the log with interest , but it looks like very good service recovery and passenger service all round (the northbound flow from KGX , south of Peterborough looked pretty normal I thought)

YorkshireBear

Established Member
WNXX has been reporting the number of fatalities this year, and it is almost one per day.

Its crazy, been another at chapeltown this evening too (my local) now seems to be reported as suicide...
Has a year ever been this bad?

Thoughts to all.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Besides there being more room at the new station, there are better facilities which might make delays seem less of a nightmare.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
From incident to all lines open was under 70 mins, excellent effort by BTP London North.

Status
Not open for further replies.