• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ECML Delays

Status
Not open for further replies.

tramboy

Hi all.

I'm getting sporadic reports of delays on the ECML nr Retford due to a signalling problem. Possibly caused by a broken rail.

Apparently single line working is in effect. If i find out more i'll let you know.

Regards

Dave

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tramboy

It's official...there is a track defect between Retford and Newark.

National Rail said:
Track defect between Retford and Newark North Gate

Time Reported: 17:43
Route Affected: Edinburgh - Newcastle - York/Leeds/Hull - Doncaster - Retford - Newark North Gate - Peterborough - London Kings Cross
TOC/s Affected: GNER, Hull Trains
Description: Train services between Retford and Newark North Gate are being disrupted due to a track defect. Short notice alterations, cancellations and delays can be expected. There is currently no estimate for a normal train service to resume

Great! I'm on the 0612 Durham-Donny then 0730 Donny-Newark tomorrow. Let's hope they don't cancel them.

Regards

Dave

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
tramboy said:
Great! I'm on the 0612 Durham-Donny then 0730 Donny-Newark tomorrow. Let's hope they don't cancel them.

Regards

Dave
Neither train was cancelled but NR signallers put a slow running Northern service in front of the GNER at Darlington (business as usual then), causing your train to be 13 down at York, arriving Doncaster 0735 missing the 0730 by 5 minutes.

The ex-Leeds train was held at Newark Northgate for the ex-Newcastle service to overtake, and a fantastic run was achieved arriving in London about 3 minutes early.

Fortunately you would have only had to wait at Donny for 25 minutes until the next Newark train.

tramboy

Amazing! Except I missed it by 2...the other train pulled out of the platform as i got onto it.

It was the empty Northern pacer/super sprinter consist (Heaton-Darlo I reckon)...passed Durham 5 mins before the GNER. Stupid signalling, should've at least looped it. Great start from Durham though...we end up rolling backwards for a bit before heading forwards again!

Why did they not hold the ex-leeds at Doncaster then? Much more sensible than holding it at Newark...cos then I could've been on it!

Had to go to the ticket office and get the std adv 1 re-validated for the next journey at Donny. Am fed up of seeing that station!

Cheers

Dave

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
tramboy said:
Amazing! Except I missed it by 2...the other train pulled out of the platform as i got onto it.
Didn't see that, you must have been nearer the front of the train then.

tramboy said:
Why did they not hold the ex-leeds at Doncaster then? Much more sensible than holding it at Newark...cos then I could've been on it!
Problem is then it would also delay the 0740, and other trains. They're pushed for platform space. It was better for almost everyone that they did what they did - except passengers on the ex-NCL train wanting to reach Newark and Grantham, they'd be the only ones to lose out.
tramboy said:
Had to go to the ticket office and get the std adv 1 re-validated for the next journey at Donny. Am fed up of seeing that station!.
Surely you shouldn't have to do this. Just a case of saying "the train I had booked on had already left, so I got the next one?" if they ask. They could check on TRUST if they were being pedantic about it.

tramboy

I was on the perch in coach H on the ex-Newcastle...leapt off the train as soon as the doors opened, ran round and the ex-Leeds was gone!

I went to the ticket office just in case...I trust GNER staff, but i like to make sure people know what's going on! No hassle anyway...beats standing actually on the platform freezing to death!

Cheers

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.