• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ECML Disruption 16/08/22 - OLE issues at Biggleswade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GeordieO

I wonder if there'll be anybody stranded at Kings X this evening.
Yep had to book a hotel, originally at Kings Cross at 12pm for LUMO at 2:45, and was told at 4pm there was a LNER service running to Edinburgh.
mad crowd going for it and then an announcement came saying this was full and standing - the concourse hadnt cleared at all!
As of 20 mins ago it was stranded at Newark so don't know if this got through, or any others since?

Johnny Lewis

Yep had to book a hotel, originally at Kings Cross at 12pm for LUMO at 2:45, and was told at 4pm there was a LNER service running to Edinburgh.
mad crowd going for it and then an announcement came saying this was full and standing - the concourse hadnt cleared at all!
As of 20 mins ago it was stranded at Newark so don't know if this got through, or any others since?
1S17 12.30 and 1S18 13.00 London KX to Edinburgh both on the move and are in the Doncaster area.

TheEdge

Established Member
Has anyone got a valid explanation for it, is it just my perception? How does it compare to the continent?

Long story short, the ECML is an extreme example. It was electrified on the cheap using a design of overheads that is very susceptible to getting damaged. So it keeps falling over, sometimes quite literally. To replace them would cost money, so here we are.

As to the other issues I don't believe we are any worse or better than other places. However out actions after are often failsafe which makes things appear worse. I forget the name but there is a system the Germans use in the event of signal failure, in situations where the UK would shift to various forms of modified working (or stop trains), which has recently led to several fatal crashes.

BJames

Established Member
EMR have withdrawn acceptance because of overcrowding. Avanti can't manage their own passengers. Not a good day.
I suppose EMR had no choice in this one. Most of what comes off St Pancras is a 5 car 222 - the 14:35 to Nottingham was operated with the 4-car 180 and this is usually just enough space for EMR's own passengers (often it is not enough). I've been on the 4-car 180 before when the TM has stopped boarding about 9 minutes before departure because he was concerned about the sheer number of people on board - and last time I was at St Pancras the ECML had also gone wrong, and the Sheffield service before my train was declared full and standing well before its departure time.

Really difficult though as with this and Avanti, and if XC withdrew too, alternative options are incredibly thin on the ground.

mm333

I turned up at Kings Cross tonight not knowing what had been going on today.

Arrived at 1930, called at 2020 to board the 2003 to Leeds and we departed at 2052. We ran slowly (30mph) through Hitchin station then sped up to 70mph until slowing down again to pass through Sandy. And now we’re back up to 125mph heading for Peterborough.

The last train from Leeds to home in Shipley is at 2320 and RTT says we’re due into Leeds now at 2312. Am hoping for no more delays although it seems I’ve been lucky compared to those earlier today.

londonmidland

Established Member
The question is, how long until the next major disruption event occurs? OLE issues seem to be happening at an increasingly more frequent rate on the ECML. The WCML hasn't gone unscathed either...

Gostav

Has anyone got a valid explanation for it, is it just my perception? How does it compare to the continent?

Well, not compare to the continent but in Japan, where overhead wires failure accident also happened on the 15th.
JR湘南新宿ラインは、宇都宮駅で起きた架線断線の影響で東京の新宿駅より北の宇都宮線直通の区間の上下線で午前9時ごろから運転を見合わせています。

JR Shonan-Shinjuku Line has been suspended from around 9:00 am on the up and down lines of the direct section of the Utsunomiya Line north of Shinjuku Station in Tokyo due to the overhead wire disconnection that occurred at Utsunomiya Station.
JR宇都宮線は架線断線の影響で、15日朝から一部の区間で運転を見合わせていましたが、午前11時40分すぎに全線で運転を再開しました。

Due to the disconnection of the overhead wire, the JR Utsunomiya Line had suspended operation in some sections from the morning of the 15th, but whole line was resumed operation after 11:40 am.

Last edited:

Established Member
Was that today? I thought the 1200 Chieftain had been cancelled, was he put on an alternative northbound service?
Customers for the 12:00 from London, were put into 1D13 (the train that got caught in the wires) and were planned to change to a fresh set with 1W16 starting at Doncaster.

As the crew for 1W16 were also on that train, the ecs from Doncaster depot ran to Newcastle to start 1W16 there.

Passengers off the 1D13 after being evacuated onto ballast and walked to Biggleswade were picked up by an additional 1F13 rescue train , and anyone for stations north of York them had to change onto a heavily delayed 1W24 which itself would terminate at Edinburgh.

D6130

Established Member
This was the second day in a row of major disruption on the ECML. On Monday evening there was a fatality at Sandy. I was on the 19 33 KGX-LDS, hauled by 91 105, and we didn't leave KGX until 21 12, arriving at Leeds 23 36. As I was travelling on a retired staff pass, I wasn't entitled to free onward transport back to Hebden Bridge, so I had to book into the Travelodge next to Leeds station for the night.

Yet when I asked, the station staff said it was cancelled!!
Hopeless information provided today for customers

LNER couldnt care less about Lumo, they are always misinforming passengers at Kings Cross.
Im shocked you found anyone there, around 7.30pm there wasnt an LNER staff member to be seen! I did notice one lady not in a uniform but with an LNER lanyard on, she took it off not long after I spotter her and she was getting mobbed. No change there tho, mighty LNERs staff do a runner the minute s&it hits the fan.

Interestingly 1S99 the 2027 Lumo off Kings Cross is running to time!

Luckily that service is supposed to arrive at 1545 and then runs upto Ferme Park for 3hrs before returning at 200 to run 1S99 at 2027 so I guess the fact it had that 4hr buffer absorbed the delay. It arrived in Newc 15mins late but by looks of realtimetrains the delay was mainly picked up around Doncaster.

bramling

Veteran Member
And Wednesday gets off to a shambolic start on GN. The first three up services from Peterborough to London are showing as cancelled, as is the first up service from Cambridge. Combined with engineering work this means nothing from north of Stevenage until 0530. Many LNER staff use these services to travel to work.

What on earth is going on? I can honestly say that I have never in my lifetime known the GN service to be this appalling, even after Hatfield.

Last edited:

Magdalen Road

The 0444 Kings Lynn to King's Cross is running late for the third day in a row. It's got to the point where if I'm not late for work or getting home then I consider it a good day.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
And Wednesday gets off to a shambolic start on GN. The first three up services from Peterborough to London are showing as cancelled, as is the first up service from Cambridge. Combined with engineering work this means nothing from north of Stevenage until 0530. Many LNER staff use these services to travel to work.

What on earth is going on? I can honestly say that I have never in my lifetime known the GN service to be this appalling, even after Hatfield.
I see National Rail is reporting that engineers are repairing yesterday's OHLE damage until 6am today.

bramling

Veteran Member
I see National Rail is reporting that engineers are repairing yesterday's OHLE damage until 6am today.

Which makes it rather naughty for GTR to have been tweeting out last night that they expected a normal start to the service today.

As well as disruption to the Peterborough route, both the first two Cambridge-Brighton services appear to have been cancelled.

Let’s see if King’s Cross-Peterborough can manage to get through a day without a meltdown. The rest of the week will, of course, be messed up by the strikes.

TheBigD

Established Member
There must be work still going on as there are 3 liners currently stood (0545) south of Hitchin waiting to go north.

The route via Ely being closed for overnight possessions Monday to Thursday this week means that the liners went via London.

KGX

Another day and same issues. Trains not moving. Work from home if you can.

VP185

Why does our railway infrastructure appear to be so unreliable?

OHLE, signalling and electricity supply problems seem to be a far too common occurrence. I've lost count of the number of times that the electricity supply has failed in the Thameslink core, the amount of trains that have been cancelled due to signalling faults and of course OHLE giving way in hot weather. These issues seem to be happening more regularly than before.

The only explanation is a lack of preventative maintenance, more than likely caused by a lack of funding.

With the knitting on the ECML a weakness was identified many many years ago but has simply been ignored. No other developed country would have continued to just keep patching it up for this long without addressing the route of the problem.

Peterthegreat

Established Member
This was the second day in a row of major disruption on the ECML. On Monday evening there was a fatality at Sandy. I was on the 19 33 KGX-LDS, hauled by 91 105, and we didn't leave KGX until 21 12, arriving at Leeds 23 36. As I was travelling on a retired staff pass, I wasn't entitled to free onward transport back to Hebden Bridge, so I had to book into the Travelodge next to Leeds station for the night.
You ARE entitled to free onward travel.

gazzaa2

Another day and same issues. Trains not moving. Work from home if you can.

Government looking to cut train service and budgets further while demanding everyone gets back to the office. The trains in this country just encourage home working or car use.

Not like yesterday was even caused by extreme weather with a do not travel warning

Established Member
LNER couldnt care less about Lumo, they are always misinforming passengers at Kings Cross.
Im shocked you found anyone there, around 7.30pm there wasnt an LNER staff member to be seen! I did notice one lady not in a uniform but with an LNER lanyard on, she took it off not long after I spotter her and she was getting mobbed. No change there tho, mighty LNERs staff do a runner the minute s&it hits the fan.

Luckily that service is supposed to arrive at 1545 and then runs upto Ferme Park for 3hrs before returning at 200 to run 1S99 at 2027 so I guess the fact it had that 4hr buffer absorbed the delay. It arrived in Newc 15mins late but by looks of realtimetrains the delay was mainly picked up around Doncaster.
Funny I was also there at 1930 waiting for the 2000 Sunderland, and on main concourse could see 5 LNER staff all helping, and at main barriers several other staff.

GeordieO

Another day, another delay.

Sat on the 0730 LNER at Kings Cross and no estimated time for departure we have been told.

Was the work overnight actually completed properly, is this the same issue causing the delays?

Established Member
Another day, another delay.

Sat on the 0730 LNER at Kings Cross and no estimated time for departure we have been told.

Was the work overnight actually completed properly, is this the same issue causing the delays?
Most likely crew issue, as a lot of yesterdays morning team will of gone over hours yesterday, reports of some crew doing 15-16 hour shifts.
1D04 the 0733 also sat there still.

High speed coasting is in place on the down fast, the affected line, as full repairs were not completed overnight, that has minimum affect on performance.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Funny I was also there at 1930 waiting for the 2000 Sunderland, and on main concourse could see 5 LNER staff all helping, and at main barriers several other staff.
I was in contact with a member of staff there who told me it was very busy, but they were managing eventually to get things out. I think the problems were mainly that all the southbound trains that were backed up through the afternoon arrived one after the other, with northern crews needing breaks before running their next trains out.

modernrail

Nonsense at Kings Cross this morning. Loads of cancellations. Am on a late departing Edinburgh, seems to be looking better than most with lots of cancellations but still sat here now 20 mins late. Looks like my 100 record of delay repay since May will be upheld but shame about the meeting and related productivity.

Some guys opposite me travelling to York for a meeting also delayed getting here by signalling near London Bridge just said, ‘**** this, we had this with Thameslink and Avanti - it’s just pointless. We are taking all the project meetings online’

That’s the danger for the railways at the moment, they are literally training people in how to avoid using them. Even on non-strike days there are loads of infrastructure issues and the Avanti, TP and frequent Thameslink chaos. Then the unions, employees, the Government etc will all be crying when loads of people give it up as a bad job.

Status
Not open for further replies.