• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ECML Enhancements including Huntingdon-Peterborough 4-tracking

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon0844

Veteran Member
With Hatfield being renovated in a few months, with a brand new multi-storey car park, does anyone know if they've made the plans to allow for a possible platform extension in the future?

Platform 1 could easily be extended backwards (towards WGC) alongside the existing car park. However, if the car park prevents this then such work would be near impossible in the future - should anyone plan to extend the platform for 12-car operation.

And likewise, the other side (2/3) you can extend the platform towards London with minimal track work (moving the down slow out a bit further along, but easily done if you knock down the derelict building further along).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ntg

From what I've seen of the plans and what I've heard from others who went to the exhibition, there is not announced provision for platform extensions. Although saying that, Hatfield would be reletively easy to extend as you say with all that spare land (heck at Hatfield there's room enough to build and entire new platform and reinstate the bay if they wanted to), as would Potters Bar, but as there's no need for 12 car trains on the stopping routes yet I imagine it's money that doesn't need to be spent...the stations further North would be a greater challenge too.

I'm curious to know how platofrm access at Hatfield will be maintained while they're bulldozing the building and the bridge!

jon0844

Veteran Member
I accept there's no need to do anything yet, but hate it when people don't plan ahead. Putting in a new car park at the expense of any future platform extension would be rather stupid - and so that's why I feared it might happen!

I went to the exhibition but completely forgot to ask! I'd ask on the next FCC directors forum but will probably not get anything but a 'thanks for your interest, yes we're great and here's a link to our website' answer.

philjo

Established Member
The points at both ends of platforms 3/4 at WGC prevent extension to accommodate 12 coaches (difficult & expensive rather than impossible). FCC have previously said that there are no plans to extend Hatfield or Potters Bar platforms at present as the services calling there also call at WGC.
However it would be prudent to make provision if they are changing things anyway at Hatfield.

The station at Letchworth was designed as 4 platforms when it opened in 1913 but to date only has 2 in use.

Skimble19

Established Member
Biggleswade's extensions are certainly interesting, and the workmen are indeed keeping that cafe busy! It seems P1 is going north and a little bit south, P2 is going a tiny bit north but mainly south. P3 appears to be going north too, whilst P4 seems to be only going south. Will be interesting to see the finished result..

Hitchin can take 12 cars on the down with platform dispatch provided as a 12 won't fit in the mirror. Currently the up won't take more that 8 as the end of the platform is disused but won't take much to open it again.

I don't think the TGV boards are stop markers-I think they were indicators of where the TGVs could run at line speed or something like that. There are also TGV boards away from stations and being that they are on the floor rather than at cab height I can't see them being stop markers.

I did notice some resurfacing work happening on the UP platform a while ago, perhaps it's already being reopened?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
The station at Letchworth was designed as 4 platforms when it opened in 1913 but to date only has 2 in use.

You can see quite clearly when going through it that it is two "Island" platforms with access only via the foot bridge, and the road bridge has the arches.

ntg

Indeed, it's quite clear from aerial photos. Infrastructure projects aren't totally without forethought today at least, Thameslink-ECML tunnels were dug before it was clear they if and when they would be used, and TCR station has been built with room for Crossrail 2 facilities.

I accept there's no need to do anything yet, but hate it when people don't plan ahead. Putting in a new car park at the expense of any future platform extension would be rather stupid - and so that's why I feared it might happen!

Definitely; the necessity will come about eventually so they may was well. Although I don't fancy the walk from an extended platform 2/3, it's bad enough with 4 car trains stopping at the far end!

LE Greys

Established Member
Indeed, it's quite clear from aerial photos. Infrastructure projects aren't totally without forethought today at least, Thameslink-ECML tunnels were dug before it was clear they if and when they would be used, and TCR station has been built with room for Crossrail 2 facilities.

Definitely; the necessity will come about eventually so they may was well. Although I don't fancy the walk from an extended platform 2/3, it's bad enough with 4 car trains stopping at the far end!

Presumably that will change with some banner repeaters going in.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Hitchin can take 12 cars on the down with platform dispatch provided as a 12 won't fit in the mirror. Currently the up won't take more that 8 as the end of the platform is disused but won't take much to open it again.

:shock: So have I been breaking the rules by going down the end to have my tea in peace?

jon0844

Veteran Member
Network Rail has installed cameras/screens at many stations but won't do it at Hatfield for some reason (cost?) hence the S board right at the far end. Not fun for a 3-car 313 either, especially those trying to make it as it comes in without realising that it nearly continues on to WGC before stopping!

I'd also expect that to extend 2/3 you'd go back and extend the platform southbound, as there's already a large break of the tracks for some distance, the bridge is being replaced and you could bring the slow track out a bit further back if necessary, thus not altering the approach for the down fast or any of the signalling.

A-driver

Established Member
Network Rail has installed cameras/screens at many stations but won't do it at Hatfield for some reason (cost?) hence the S board right at the far end. Not fun for a 3-car 313 either, especially those trying to make it as it comes in without realising that it nearly continues on to WGC before stopping!

I'd also expect that to extend 2/3 you'd go back and extend the platform southbound, as there's already a large break of the tracks for some distance, the bridge is being replaced and you could bring the slow track out a bit further back if necessary, thus not altering the approach for the down fast or any of the signalling.

Hatfield always had a 3/4 car stop on the down slow as it does on the down fast but it was removed due to the exceptionally high number of unexplainable stop shorts there. That's why the is now only an s car stop.

Jan

I don't think the TGV boards are stop markers-I think they were indicators of where the TGVs could run at line speed or something like that. There are also TGV boards away from stations and being that they are on the floor rather than at cab height I can't see them being stop markers.
If it's these signs here at the bottom of the page, it seems like they indicated a special speed restriction which applied only to Eurostar trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.