• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ECML Freight between North East England, WCML and West Scotland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class 170101

Established Member
From https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/scottish-electrification-updates-discussion.90420/page-134 to discuss Freight poetntial between NE England, WCML and West Scotland.

If you are wiring for ECML freight (future potential) is there any future potential for electric freight on the ECML especially north of Newcastle given the number of Class 1 >100 mph paths wanted by East Coast - two or three, XC one, TPE one per hour, First Group 4/5 per day and Class 2 services between Newcastle and Morpeth / Chathill and between Dunbar / North Berwick and Edinburgh. Is there actually any room for Class 4 and Class 6 Freight?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
I believe all told you can ‘loop hop’ a 75mph electric each way between Millerhill and Newcastle all day in the new timetable. Fifth freedom almost demands it.

The same, I suspect, applies to Preston to Mossend.

I doubt freight gets a ‘fast’ path but the least is that it can get to / from Scotland in ample time and use of 90/92 motive power would permit said standard hourly path.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
I believe all told you can ‘loop hop’ a 75mph electric each way between Millerhill and Newcastle all day in the new timetable. Fifth freedom almost demands it.

The same, I suspect, applies to Preston to Mossend.

I doubt freight gets a ‘fast’ path but the least is that it can get to / from Scotland in ample time and use of 90/92 motive power would permit said standard hourly path.
Can you explain this, please?

By analogy with use of the term in relation to air transport it would seem to imply that a company based in (say) the country of Wales would have the right to operate revenue services between the countries of Scotland and England.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Ofcourse if it really became an issue, 160km/h freight wagons do exist on the continent......

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Electric haulage for the freight would help to some degree in keeping ahead of the passenger trains and reducing the number of loops visited, although less so than on the WCML as the gradients are gentler. But I'd guess with the demise of the coal traffic to England there are quite a lot of empty freight paths currently, timed for diesel and some of the northbound ones for 75mph (coal hoppers being rated for this speed when empty).

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Most of the current daytime intermodal paths on the Tees-Mossend/Coatbridge and v.v. axis (with diesel traction) seem to get looped, one as many as four times between Millerhill and Newcastle, which hardly suggests oodles of capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.