• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ECML level crossing incident 13/06/21

Status
Not open for further replies.

paolocoopio

Hopefully they will throw the book at them and make an example of them.
Only by pure chance that this wasn't more serious.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rudieska

No doubt Network rail will get the blame.
I mean how is possible a 2 ton car only traveling at 100mph manage to bypass the security fencing either side of crossing and encroach on railway line!
The car driver will get a good old stern finger wagging' !

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Totally agreed. It’s a surprise that they were able to keep the crew waiting, especially given that there was the possibility of the train being further held up or curtailed
Given the length of delay it is possible early morning spare crews have been drafted in or moved off their booked job to cover or on call managers brought in to work the trains.. It is also not unusual for rosters to contact people on the rest day volunteer list looking for people willing to come in on short notice. The booked crew would then be relieved to pass back, given a taxi ride home or put up in a hotel and paid off the following day

Would this also mean that dispatch staff would’ve had to have stayed on for a longer period too?

Large Stations that may have had connections such as Newcastle have 24 hour cover anyway so despatching would have been done by the station supervisors (or in worst case scenario has been done with TPE despatchers)
Smaller stations such as Durham would be self despatch anyway so not an issue

Steve Harris

No doubt Network rail will get the blame.
I mean how is possible a 2 ton car only traveling at 100mph manage to bypass the security fencing either side of crossing and encroach on railway line!
The car driver will get a good old stern finger wagging' !
2 ton ??

Unless it is something like a American Lincoln Town Car or a Land Rover Discovery it will be nothing like 2 ton's. Most British car's typically weigh around the 1 ton mark.

And they will need to find him first before they can wagg their finger at him (so much harder if the car is niked or recently been purchased 'cash in hand', which is highly likely in this instance).

Darandio

Established Member
2 ton ??

Unless it is something like a American Lincoln Town Car or a Land Rover Discovery it will be nothing like 2 ton's. Most British car's typically weigh around the 1 ton mark.

Off topic but you would have to go back quite a few years to fine averages of around 1 ton. Even something as common as a Vauxhall Insignia is just under 1.7 tons at the kerb, closer to 2 tons with passengers and luggage.

Twingo37175

Having seen pictures (and the video on a local facebook page, it is only a few miles from me), it appears the car was a range rover (or similar)

Efini92

Established Member
2 ton ??

And they will need to find him first before they can wagg their finger at him (so much harder if the car is niked or recently been purchased 'cash in hand', which is highly likely in this instance).
It looked like a Range Rover on the pictures

Steve Harris

Having seen pictures (and the video on a local facebook page, it is only a few miles from me), it appears the car was a range rover (or similar)
Arh. A small tank then rather than a car, lol.

You can't 'alf do some damage with one of those if you drive it like a berk. Sounds like it was lucky that no one was hurt.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Sounds like it was lucky that no one was hurt.
Having also seen the video I'm honestly surprised that the train didn't derail at least partially. Whilst the car didn't hit it going full pelt it was not a gentle impact.

greyman42

Established Member

You can't 'alf do some damage with one of those if you drive it like a berk. Sounds like it was lucky that no one was hurt.

The vehicle involved at Great heck was a Land Rover, so you get an idea of what could of happened.

LAX54

Established Member
Just seen the video of cctv coverage at the crossing - if the car had been a few seconds earlier would have been a catastrophic outcome !!
I too have just seen the CCTV..... scary, and so very very close! also get the impression they did a 'runner' too !
How fast was that 4x4 going ? !

XCTurbostar

Established Member
There is a video on Twitter by GiDoncaster which shows the impact. It appears to show the 8th and 9th coaches taking side on impact.

1955LR

I wish the press would stop stating a train hit a car, the car hit the train would be in my view a more accurate statement if the video is to be believed. And the vehicle could well be about 2.5 tonnes unladen

Failed Unit

Established Member
It is hard to tell if the driver actually had a lucky escape. If they were attempting to derail a train, then they would have taken a different approach.

Impossible to know what is going through peoples heads, but plan a was to create carnage and walk away - it was very unlikely that would be the outcome.

Hopefully they get caught and punished (or helped if it was a mental health issue)

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
It is hard to tell if the driver actually had a lucky escape. If they were attempting to derail a train, then they would have taken a different approach.

Impossible to know what is going through peoples heads, but plan a was to create carnage and walk away - it was very unlikely that would be the outcome.

Hopefully they get caught and punished (or helped if it was a mental health issue)
Rossington Crossing looks to be a pinch point in the local area, so on the basis that the vehicle was tooling around at excess speed, it's probably approached the crossing with the barriers down, at speed and the driver has lost control swerving to avoid the queue of traffic waiting at the crossing. The speed, weight and momentum of the vehicle has then taken it through the safety railings just as the train was passing by.

Don't think, IMHO, that there was any deliberate intention to derail a train, that was just an unintended consequence. Wrong time, wrong place, definite wrong 'un.

Driver not yet been caught as far as I am aware (they did run away from the scene) but in all probability it's only a matter of time before they are collared by South Yorkshire's finest (or indeed by BTP) given the potential seriousness of the incident, assuming of course that sufficient resources are utilised in the investigation.

Last edited:

Established Member
Rossington Crossing looks to be a pinch point in the local area, so on the basis that the vehicle was tooling around at excess speed, it's probably approached the crossing with the barriers down, at speed and the driver has lost control swerving to avoid the queue of traffic waiting at the crossing. The speed, weight and momentum of the vehicle has then taken it through the safety railings just as the train was passing by.

Don't think, IMHO, that there was any deliberate intention to derail a train, that was just an unintended consequence. Wrong time, wrong place, definite wrong 'un.

Driver not yet been caught as far as I am aware (they did run away from the scene) but in all probability it's only a matter of time before they are collared by South Yorkshire's finest (or indeed by BTP) given the potential seriousness of the incident, assuming of course that sufficient resources are utilised in the investigation.
Lead to believe it was a stolen vehicle.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I wish the press would stop stating a train hit a car, the car hit the train would be in my view a more accurate statement if the video is to be believed. And the vehicle could well be about 2.5 tonnes unladen
One news report I saw mentioned that the train was “hurtling through Doncaster”, they really do always like to hint at some sort of railway fault. The generic “train hit car” headline has been repeated in dozens of local newspaper websites, spread all around the country…

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
The generic “train hit car” headline has been repeated in dozens of local newspaper websites, spread all around the country…
Looks like the exact same hastily written story which has then been cloned onto various other online newspaper websites, which are in all likelihood all under common ownership.

Established Member
One news report I saw mentioned that the train was “hurtling through Doncaster”, they really do always like to hint at some sort of railway fault. The generic “train hit car” headline has been repeated in dozens of local newspaper websites, spread all around the country…
Anything to knock the railways, journalism now a days is ridiculous

snowball

Established Member
There are now a few reports correctly saying that the car hit the train, such as this one

Police are hunting the driver of a stolen car who fled after smashing into a high speed train in Doncaster.​

I watched BBC Look North (lunchtime and early evening) and ITV Calendar (lunchtime and as much of the early evening edition as possible) but it wasn't mentioned.

Maybe BTP/SYP/NR have not been saying anything most of the day, leaving the media to repeat the original BTP statement that they "responded to a report of a train hitting a car".

Egg Centric

On costs if they're not insured (as is almost certain) the amount the railway can recover will be limited to what assets are available in the drivers name. It's unlikely to cover even a fraction of 1% of the costs of the incident.

Nope - the railway will be able to recover costs from the Motor Insurers' Bureau. Which people like you (making an assumption you insure a car) and I pay for out of our premiums.

See also: Gary Hart.

Status
Not open for further replies.