• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ECML New Timetable Observations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I've just been having a look through the new timetable as well as upcoming alterations and I think there are a few things of note.

Firstly, GNER are cutting out some calls at Stevenage, whereas Hull Trains are introducing some stops there for the first time, morning northbound services and evening southbound services. Having looked at the GNER timetable, it still looks as if they already provide a fairly comprehensive service to Stevenage alongside FCC, so what is the point in Hull Trains calling here? Surely there is no market for Hull-Stevenage and vice versa, so what passengers are they trying to cater for? It is also worth noting that more Hull Trains services are to call at Retford from the new timetable, suggesting that they are trying to gain a larger customer base here to rival GNER.

Services are also getting quicker from Leeds-London starting in the new timetable, with journey times falling by 5 minutes. In addition, GNER's 1810 Newcastle-London KX will call at Northallerton in the new timetable, making the last direct service between Newcastle and Northallerton 1 hour later! This seems like very good news, and this service would also surely be potentially attractive to commuters.

However, weekends in January are looking very bad for passengers. Engineering works every weekend between Grantham and Newark are meaning that services will be replaced by buses between the two towns, increasing journey times hugely. Hull Trains are particularly badly affected, as their services are only running between Hull and Retford, with slow coaches beyond there! I'm sure passengers will be pleased *not* :lol:

I have spotted at least one unusual diversion. The 2155 Newark-Newcastle (January Saturdays), later the 2030 London Kings Cross-York (February Saturdays), is diverting between Newark and Doncaster, with journey times extended by 40-45 mins. This suggests that they are routing via Hykeham, Gainsborough and Finningley(?), some rare HST mileage there!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nick W

Established Member
It's good to hear that fast accelerating DEMUs will be stopping more while loco-hauled/HST services will be calling at fewer stops.

Humberside

However, weekends in January are looking very bad for passengers. Engineering works every weekend between Grantham and Newark are meaning that services will be replaced by buses between the two towns, increasing journey times hugely. Hull Trains are particularly badly affected, as their services are only running between Hull and Retford, with slow coaches beyond there! I'm sure passengers will be pleased *not* :lol:
Shame the trains arent running via Lincoln, Sleaford and Spalding - at least through services could have been maintained

Status
Not open for further replies.